eBay 996 build thread

User avatar
GG.
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by GG. » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:50 pm

NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:44 pm
Rich B wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:40 pm
Well fingers crossed it’s a little roller coaster story that ends up with a cheap fix! Have you got a next step planned out yet or are you still in the “bit pissed off” stage!?
Still waiting for a slot to open up with my tuna. I’m stoic about the whole thing. I’ve already had an offer of £6k for it as is so worst case I’m out £2k. I don’t currently want to give up on it, though. If it does turn out to be excessively expensive I think I will attempt the LS conversion but that will be a long and slow progress one.
How much do you think you'd have to sink in to it to do a conversion out of interest?
PDK frees up your left hand so you can scratch your vagina.

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:55 pm

It’s probably £15k minimum. I’d want to do it properly so crate engine rather than scrapyard, proper ECU etc.

What I want is a de-stroked LS3, which is the 6.2 block with the crank from the 4.8 Vortec for 5.6 litres and (with appropriate parts) 600+bhp and 9000rpm. Not cheap, but not as expensive as it sounds.
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 1624
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by ZedLeg » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:11 pm

As much as I hope that you're current engine isn't completely fucked Rev, I'd really like to see that happen.

I hadn't heard of that particular LS mod before.
An absolute unit

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:20 pm

There’s not many about because there ain’t no substitute for cubes, but I think it would suit a Porker better than some lazy torque monster.
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
Jimmy Choo
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 am

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Jimmy Choo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 pm

NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:21 pm
The worst part of all this was that me and my car were due to be doing a magazine front cover feature next week, which obviously isn’t going to happen now 😢
Was it Shonkey Old Porsche Monthly?
This post was brought to you by the letters O and V and the number nine

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Jimmy Choo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 pm
NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:21 pm
The worst part of all this was that me and my car were due to be doing a magazine front cover feature next week, which obviously isn’t going to happen now 😢
Was it Shonkey Old Porsche Monthly?
Yes.
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
Foz
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Foz » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:25 pm

I would cut and run rather than go LS, with the age of these things it’s a never ending money pit, suspension etc etc..

Check hoovies garage exploits.

Any LS cars for sale in the uk?

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Foz wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:25 pm
I would cut and run rather than go LS, with the age of these things it’s a never ending money pit, suspension etc etc..

Check hoovies garage exploits.

Any LS cars for sale in the uk?
You could say that about anything remotely interesting, though. What's the alternative, leased Golfs for the rest of my life?
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Right, the car is going in to Unique Porsche on the 12th. The plan is to drop the engine and strip bank 1 to see if there's any visible cracking. Can't compression test it as they usually crack between the water jacket and oil gallery rather than in the cylinder so it doesn't tell us anything. If it's cracked, we're probably looking at a repair rather than new heads as 2nd hand heads come with a load of potential problems (mismatched camcovers, cam bearings etc which are all machined to their specific heads). The fact that it had a replacement head with Hartech means there's a good chance it might not be the head, but it needs ruling out.
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
Jimmy Choo
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 am

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Jimmy Choo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:03 pm

NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 pm
Right, the car is going in to Unique Porsche on the 12th. The plan is to drop the engine and strip bank 1 to see if there's any visible cracking. Can't compression test it as they usually crack between the water jacket and oil gallery rather than in the cylinder so it doesn't tell us anything. If it's cracked, we're probably looking at a repair rather than new heads as 2nd hand heads come with a load of potential problems (mismatched camcovers, cam bearings etc which are all machined to their specific heads). The fact that it had a replacement head with Hartech means there's a good chance it might not be the head, but it needs ruling out.
My fingers are firmly crossed for you. I hope that Shonkey Old Porsche Monthly are happy to wait to put you in their "Sluts and their slag" column.
This post was brought to you by the letters O and V and the number nine

User avatar
Carlos
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 am

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Carlos » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:21 pm

NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 pm
Right, the car is going in to Unique Porsche on the 12th. The plan is to drop the engine and strip bank 1 to see if there's any visible cracking. Can't compression test it as they usually crack between the water jacket and oil gallery rather than in the cylinder so it doesn't tell us anything. If it's cracked, we're probably looking at a repair rather than new heads as 2nd hand heads come with a load of potential problems (mismatched camcovers, cam bearings etc which are all machined to their specific heads). The fact that it had a replacement head with Hartech means there's a good chance it might not be the head, but it needs ruling out.
I'm throwing a bag of revels on it being a £100 oil cooler.

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Carlos wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:21 pm
NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 pm
Right, the car is going in to Unique Porsche on the 12th. The plan is to drop the engine and strip bank 1 to see if there's any visible cracking. Can't compression test it as they usually crack between the water jacket and oil gallery rather than in the cylinder so it doesn't tell us anything. If it's cracked, we're probably looking at a repair rather than new heads as 2nd hand heads come with a load of potential problems (mismatched camcovers, cam bearings etc which are all machined to their specific heads). The fact that it had a replacement head with Hartech means there's a good chance it might not be the head, but it needs ruling out.
I'm throwing a bag of revels on it being a £100 oil cooler.
I hope so, but it's shit load of labour to get to that diagnosis :lol:
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
Beany
Posts: 1379
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Beany » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Suppose if you're going to spend the money in labour getting the engine out anyway, might as well check the head and the oil cooler at the same time.

Anything else worth looking at while the engines out? Belts/chains/pumps etc?

User avatar
Coaster1
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Coaster1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Have you not spoken to Hartech?

They are not that far from you (I think)

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:38 pm

Coaster1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:36 pm
Have you not spoken to Hartech?

They are not that far from you (I think)
Hartech labour vs Unique labour is vastly different ;) Unique have a very good reputation, too. They remind me very much of Flewy and Dan.
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
Coaster1
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Coaster1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:41 pm

I was thinking / hoping Hartech would offer discount rate to you, as from what I’ve read they do stand by their products. :)

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 4707
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Coaster1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:41 pm
I was thinking / hoping Hartech would offer discount rate to you, as from what I’ve read they do stand by their products. :)
I don't think there's anything Hartech could've done differently. I don't think it reflects on them. If it's the bank 1 head, it was a used replacement and lived for 30,000 miles. If it's the oil cooler, it was fine 30,000 miles ago and has lived for 130k so it's not done bad.
Mo’ money, mo’ tard.

User avatar
Marv
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:33 pm
Contact:

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Marv » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:03 pm

Jimmy Choo wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:03 pm
NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 pm
Right, the car is going in to Unique Porsche on the 12th. The plan is to drop the engine and strip bank 1 to see if there's any visible cracking. Can't compression test it as they usually crack between the water jacket and oil gallery rather than in the cylinder so it doesn't tell us anything. If it's cracked, we're probably looking at a repair rather than new heads as 2nd hand heads come with a load of potential problems (mismatched camcovers, cam bearings etc which are all machined to their specific heads). The fact that it had a replacement head with Hartech means there's a good chance it might not be the head, but it needs ruling out.
My fingers are firmly crossed for you. I hope that Shonkey Old Porsche Monthly are happy to wait to put you in their "Sluts and their slag" column.
Front page spread, page 3 and a grinding my gears column.
Oui, je suis un motard.

User avatar
Coaster1
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Coaster1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 pm

NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:45 pm
I don't think there's anything Hartech could've done differently. I don't think it reflects on them. If it's the bank 1 head, it was a used replacement and lived for 30,000 miles. If it's the oil cooler, it was fine 30,000 miles ago and has lived for 130k so it's not done bad.
Gotcha.

Hope it won’t be a costly fix. 👍👌🤞

User avatar
Foz
Posts: 607
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Foz » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:17 pm

NotoriousREV wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:43 pm
Foz wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:25 pm
I would cut and run rather than go LS, with the age of these things it’s a never ending money pit, suspension etc etc..

Check hoovies garage exploits.

Any LS cars for sale in the uk?
You could say that about anything remotely interesting, though. What's the alternative, leased Golfs for the rest of my life?
Point I was making was fix the car with the proper engine, or walk away, fuck the LS.

Good luck!

Post Reply