eBay 996 build thread

Orange Cola

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Orange Cola »

What type is it? Some can be a pig to set up.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:21 pm What type is it? Some can be a pig to set up.
It’s just a plunger type. Dead simple swap, just needs the plunger fully extending before fitting.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Sorted :D There’s a type which is adjustable and easy to set up wrong which causes all kinds of issues for people who don’t know what they’re doing.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

NotoriousREV wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:06 pm Weird problem tonight. MrsREV went out to her car and noticed that all the LCD screens were lit up on my car (odometer/trip/speed/clock).

They normally shut off when you lock the doors. I hadn’t been out in the car at all today but I was measuring the ride height earlier today and it definitely wasn’t lit up then (I didn’t unlock the car then).

I checked that it was locked (it was), so unlocked it and locked it again and they remained lit up. So I tried to start it to if that would reset it, but the battery had been drained too low to start it, so I’ve taken the battery off and put it on a deep charge.

Apparently, and somewhat ironically, it’s something they do when the battery voltage drops too low. I think only doing short journeys the last couple of days has taken its toll.
This problem is back and it’s definitely not a low voltage issue (brand new battery, fully charged). The dash lit itself up on Thursday night around 10pm (I found the moment on my cctv) and they’ve stayed lit ever since. I suspect the ignition switch is faulty so I’ve ordered a new one of those.

If I’d ordered a Porsche one, it would’ve been £55. Instead I’ve ordered a MkIV Golf one for £15. Identical part.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:59 am If I’d ordered a Porsche one, it would’ve been £55. Instead I’ve ordered a MkIV Golf one for £15. Identical part.
Wouldn't the Porsche one arrive faster? :?

Annoying electrical gremlins FTL. :evil:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Check the light in front boot is going out when the bonnet is closed.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Carlos wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:37 am Check the light in front boot is going out when the bonnet is closed.
I don’t think I’ve got a light in the frunk. Why would that cause the dash lights to come on?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 am
Carlos wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:37 am Check the light in front boot is going out when the bonnet is closed.
I don’t think I’ve got a light in the frunk. Why would that cause the dash lights to come on?
Mine was draining the battery but re-reading your post you don't have a voltage issue with the new battery so i am wasting your time :oops: .
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Carlos wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:19 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:39 am
Mine was draining the battery but re-reading your post you don't have a voltage issue with the new battery so i am wasting your time :oops: .
Ah, no worries I thought there might be a link :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:59 am

If I’d ordered a Porsche one, it would’ve been £55. Instead I’ve ordered a MkIV Golf one for £15. Identical part.
God bless the MkIV Golf.
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Marv wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:32 pm

God bless the MkIV Golf.
I’m happy to harvest Golf IV organs and save as many people as possible the ordeal of having to actually drive one.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:38 pm

God bless the MkIV Golf.
I’m happy to harvest Golf IV organs and save as many people as possible the ordeal of having to actually drive one.
No need my friend, new MkIV parts are plentiful and easily available to all pilgrims.

You're welcome.
Oui, je suis un motard.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Marv wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:28 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:38 pm

God bless the MkIV Golf.
No need my friend, new MkIV parts are plentiful and easily available to all pilgrims.

You're welcome.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

So I replaced the brake light switch today. I knew it was a job that was a bit awkward but not technically difficult. I contorted myself under the dash and managed to get a pair of pliers on the old switch, twist it a quarter turn, and out it came. I unplugged the old switch, plugged in the new one and then tried to put it back in place.

Now, theoretically this should be easy: push the switch into place, and turn it a quarter turn to lock it and everyone’s a winner. Try as I might, I couldn’t turn it. I tried it by hand, I tried it with pliers, I tried it with mole grips but it wouldn’t turn. After getting thoroughly pissed off, I hauled myself very inelegantly out from the footwell and sulked for a bit. Then, rather than bend myself back under the dash, I just reached under the dash, grabbed the switch, pushed in place and twisted it with no problem. Go figure. I guess the angle was better or something.

A quick test and I confirmed that my brake lights now go both on and off, as needed. Unfortunately a longer test has confirmed that it hasn’t fixed the PSM/ABS fault.

One thing I *think* it has fixed is a thing that was happening when applying big throttle: it never hesitated but it felt like it was giving you a bunch of throttle instantly then adding a bit more half a second later. It was quite subtle and I wasn’t sure if this was how it was supposed to feel. But it seems to have stopped doing it now. Whether that was due to the brake switch or taking the battery off and doing an eGas throttle reset, I’m not sure (I’ve done these before but not solved the issue).

Anyway, the car’s running well and I’m still loving it. Hopefully my new ignition switch will arrive soon.
Middle-aged Dirtbag