eBay 996 build thread

NotoriousREV

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by NotoriousREV »

Now that the colder weather has arrived, it’s clear that my car is letting in moisture from somewhere. I suspect that it’s a combination of places; firstly the drivers window seal near the door mirror is noisy so I probably need to replace that seal, which is £180 for a triangle-shaped but of rubber, and the rear screen corner which can be patched with a bit of silicone. It wouldn’t be so bad if the air con worked because that would at least take some of the moisture out.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Beany

Post by Beany »

Noticed similar on the BMW, although I suspect glass alignment is more of an issue in my case than the seals themselves, as they seem fine.

Frameless windows on the 996, innit? Worth checking to see if there's a (vaguely sensible) alignment procedure?

(there are easy access holes for adjustment on the E46 cab, for example, for 'lean' and such of the glass)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Chuck one of those bags of reusable desiccant in.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Checked all the carpets and behind seats etc and there's no water soaking anywhere so it's not terrible. I've done a window regulator reset so we'll see if that's done anything with the seal.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Do the windows dip when you pull the door handle and pop back up properly when you release? Sometimes you can have a sensor fail in the handle mechanism (but usually that makes the window stay in the fully up position to be fair).
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

How often are you using it? All cars, no matter how dry can feel cold and damp if they're not used a decent amount at this time of year just from the condensation and moisture that comes in with people.

Rubber mats are a good idea through winter, they look hideous but don't soak up water off shoes like carpet ones do.
Cheers, Harry
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:11 pm Chuck one of those bags of reusable desiccant in.
This. I used to use it on the Elise and it helped no end. I just used to go around taking all the small bags out of the parcels we had delivered at work before they were thrown away :lol: then would sling them all across the dash.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I bought a pack of 2 from Amazon when the AC on my Defender stopped working in winter. Had one in the front and one in the back and it stopped all the condensation problems. Had to microwave them every 2 weeks to dry them.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

GG. wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:47 pm Do the windows dip when you pull the door handle and pop back up properly when you release? Sometimes you can have a sensor fail in the handle mechanism (but usually that makes the window stay in the fully up position to be fair).
Yep, they work fine.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

integrale_evo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:02 pm How often are you using it? All cars, no matter how dry can feel cold and damp if they're not used a decent amount at this time of year just from the condensation and moisture that comes in with people.

Rubber mats are a good idea through winter, they look hideous but don't soak up water off shoes like carpet ones do.
Not that often. I already have some “lovely” fitted rubber chequerplate effect mats down :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:55 pm
GG. wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:47 pm Do the windows dip when you pull the door handle and pop back up properly when you release? Sometimes you can have a sensor fail in the handle mechanism (but usually that makes the window stay in the fully up position to be fair).
Yep, they work fine.
Ok so likely not that. Other point to check is the carpet at the bottom of the door. If this is wet it can be a sign the moisture membrane in the door has been pierced when a regulator has been replaced (had that on mine). If nothing apparent then I guess you're down to seals as you say.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

GG. wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:57 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:55 pm
Yep, they work fine.
Ok so likely not that. Other point to check is the carpet at the bottom of the door. If this is wet it can be a sign the moisture membrane in the door has been pierced when a regulator has been replaced (had that on mine). If nothing apparent then I guess you're down to seals as you say.
All checked, all dry.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

How bad is it Rev? I think we’re just having an unusually long period of damp, wet weather so nothing is drying out. All bar the newest of cars in my village are showing condensation each night and it’s been like that for a few months now.

My Mustang is sat outside, completely out the sun and not used much, that’s condensing on the windscreen and back window. Interior feels damp after 2-3 weeks of being sat. I think it’s mainly getting damp air going in through the air vents as I can see condensation forming on the screen above the vents first. Even opening the passenger door releases water that’s been trapped in between the inner and outer seals because it’s sat on a slight slope.

I’ve been talking to a few friends with similar ‘issues’ and we’ve concluded that modern cars prefer being used rather than being sat, friends with the same cars who use them every day don’t have the condensation (or other issues) as those of us who occasionally use them.

If you’re concerned it might be worth taking it for a drive and getting it warm then sitting in it with an incense stick and the heater on to see where it’s pushing air out.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
mik

Post by mik »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:49 pm.

If you’re concerned it might be worth taking it for a drive and getting it warm then sitting in it with an incense stick and the heater on to see where it’s pushing air out.
Video this bit please :D
GG.

Post by GG. »

Do you do need to do this in a secluded car park by any chance?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Thanks guys, fucking blown it now :roll:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:49 pm How bad is it Rev? I think we’re just having an unusually long period of damp, wet weather so nothing is drying out. All bar the newest of cars in my village are showing condensation each night and it’s been like that for a few months now.

My Mustang is sat outside, completely out the sun and not used much, that’s condensing on the windscreen and back window. Interior feels damp after 2-3 weeks of being sat. I think it’s mainly getting damp air going in through the air vents as I can see condensation forming on the screen above the vents first. Even opening the passenger door releases water that’s been trapped in between the inner and outer seals because it’s sat on a slight slope.

I’ve been talking to a few friends with similar ‘issues’ and we’ve concluded that modern cars prefer being used rather than being sat, friends with the same cars who use them every day don’t have the condensation (or other issues) as those of us who occasionally use them.

It’s not terrible, probably fine for a 20 year old car that’s only doing local journeys, and not very regularly at that. I’m just used to the Golf that cleared its screen properly etc.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:11 pm Chuck one of those bags of reusable desiccant in.
Credit where credit’s due, this was a great price of advice. It’s worked brilliantly.

Don’t let it happen again, it makes me feel dirty.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Which ones did you get out of interest?

Figure it may be a good idea to get some for mine. Even though its not particularly bad, it doesn't smell as fresh as it could after it has been sat all week and I think moisture is probably to blame.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I got this one, but it was on sale so only a tenner. £15 starts to feel a bit pricey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Middle-aged Dirtbag