eBay 996 build thread

Simon

Re: eBay 996 build thread

Post by Simon »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:44 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:22 pm And now my indicator switch is broken. I have to hold it on when turning right and it won’t self-cancel when turning left. It always felt a bit dodgy. £200 for a new one. I’m looking for used ones on eBay but apparently original ones all fail but new ones don’t as they’re a new design.
Probably a good indication that you should buy new, unless it there's an indication that the eBay ones are the newer design.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

£130 for a used one. Apparently if I get the “4 armed” switches, I can get the OBC and cruise control activated.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm £130 for a used one. Apparently if I get the “4 armed” switches, I can get the OBC and cruise control activated.
Bargain! How’s it been since the big repair? Still fun?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Beany

Post by Beany »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:26 pm £130 for a used one. Apparently if I get the “4 armed” switches, I can get the OBC and cruise control activated.
That'd be quite the turn around. Watch the connectors though, electricity has it's hazards.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The chap I bought my Boxster from (facelift so might be different) had done exactly that. Annoyingly he replaced it with another Boxster and put back the original stalk to use the cruise control one in his new purchase 😄
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:15 pm
The chap I bought my Boxster from (facelift so might be different) had done exactly that. Annoyingly he replaced it with another Boxster and put back the original stalk to use the cruise control one in his new purchase 😄
It’s cheaper on facelift Boxsters and 996s for some reason, but the same process fundamentally. Apparently it’s £600 all in. I might not bother.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
GG.

Post by GG. »

Beany wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:57 pm
That'd be quite the turn around. Watch the connectors though, electricity has it's hazards.
Forewarned is 4 armed.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I think the facelift switched to Canbus hence it being simpler to add. Makes it a pain to replace the stereo though.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

NotoriousREV wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:19 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:15 pm
It’s cheaper on facelift Boxsters and 996s for some reason, but the same process fundamentally. Apparently it’s £600 all in. I might not bother.
The forums talk about a wiring loom and some reprogramming. Let me know if you find it an easy fix; it’s the one thing I miss from the Jag.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I’d love to have cruise on mine but it’s an early car with cable throttle so it’s a massive ballache and probably not worth it.

The OBC sounds interesting and I’d previously wondered if it could be bodged in without using the (expensive) stalk. That article confirms it. I’ll add it to my list !
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I had never noticed this till I sat in the back of the Model 3 but when the active cruise control is on you can see the throttle and brake pedals move :shock: I thought with fly by wire the pedals would remain stationary as the car would just let the electronics do it but I guess it’s more basic and must have a servo to move the pedals to get the signal as if there’s a person driving. I’m now really curious if other cars do it like this?
Of course it’s hard to notice unless you’re a passenger.
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Definitely didn’t notice the pedals moving on the Golf but if it thought you weren’t going to brake it definitely felt like the pedal was moving away from you. I always put it down to the pressure in the system changing as it applied the brakes.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Same people who loaded your car rev?
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:22 pm I had never noticed this till I sat in the back of the Model 3 but when the active cruise control is on you can see the throttle and brake pedals move :shock: I thought with fly by wire the pedals would remain stationary as the car would just let the electronics do it but I guess it’s more basic and must have a servo to move the pedals to get the signal as if there’s a person driving. I’m now really curious if other cars do it like this?
Of course it’s hard to notice unless you’re a passenger.
Yes they do all do that, currently. It’s about to start changing though with Brake by Wire systems now coming into the market. The actuator on the Tesla system can’t disconnect itself from the brake pedal because the electric motor is mechanically linked, the electric motor is also the ‘boost’ part of the system in normal driving (Tesla’s don’t have a vacuum system). The idea is that if you have a loss of power you can still brake the car just as you would if a vacuum booster failed on ‘normal’ brake system. The point of Tesla using an electro mechanical brake booster is so they can control the shut off the hydraulic brake pressure and blend it with regenerative braking, the down side with the first wave of electro mechanical boosters is the pedal feel is variable, the pedal moves in autonomous brake activations, it’s noisy and over all it’s a bit shit. They’re also a nightmare to bleed.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

jamcg wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:43 pm

Same people who loaded your car rev?
Definitely the same skill set.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I softened off my coilovers today. I went from 15 clicks of damping (about the centre setting) to 0 (full soft). It now feels much nicer driving around and the handling is fine on the road. I think the cold weather was thickening the shock oil and making it ride like a skateboard.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
mik

Post by mik »

You’ve gone soft Dave
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Never go full flaccid.
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:03 pm Never go full flaccid.
Isn't that a contradiction in term?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away