eBay 996 build thread

dan

Re: New Car

Post by dan »

I've seen it and can confirm its a ridiculous car for the money, in a good way :geek:
Marv

Post by Marv »

Was Dave around Reading today? So was I...shame we didn't bump into each other!!
Oui, je suis un motard.
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Marv wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:13 pm Was Dave around Reading today? So was I...shame we didn't bump into each other!!
Never had you down as a “cash for crash” scammer Marv :shock:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

So, I got there at about 11:30. SJ was running a little late, so I went into the dodgy portacabin office, introduced myself. Bloke glances up. “The keys are in it. Take it for a drive, I’ll show you the paperwork when you get back”.

I had no idea where I was, or where to go, so I did a bit of a run up and down the main road, round a few roundabouts, trying to open it up in 2nd. It drove brilliantly, but I never got over 50mph. The engine sounded absolutely spot on, gearbox felt very smooth, no notchiness, clutch had plenty of bite.

When I got back to the yard, SJ was waiting for me. We had a look over it, then went back inside to look at the paperwork.

In the bundle was a £9k invoice for the engine rebuild at Hartech, coilovers and suspension refresh (droplinks, coffin arms, bushes etc) at Autofarm all done in 2016 about 20k miles ago (there must be about 8 pages describing all the work done). Sports exhaust (non switchable) or standard exhaust with bypass mod and different tips.

Outside needs a good wash. Engine cover looks like is been attacked by a Brillo pad and there’s a scar on the back bumper that needs attention. Other than polishing the headlights that’s all that’s wrong outside, it’s not bad at all. Even the wheels are really good and the Michelins tyres are almost brand new. I think maybe one of the track rod ends needs doing as there’s a bit of kickback/vagueness over 80mph that isn’t there when you’re going slower. I’ll have a look tomorrow.

Inside the a/c doesn’t work (I knew it wouldn’t) and the LCD screen for the heater control is dodgy and the aftermarket stereo is awful. There’s also a bit of trim needs popping back on. But, it’s filthy. The steering wheel is possibly the stickiest thing I’ve ever voluntarily touched. Having said that, the cracking of the leather isn’t as bad as it looked, I think it might clean up not too bad. Not perfect, but acceptable.

I absolutely love it. I’ve haven’t felt like this about a car in years. Possibly ever.

At £8k, it was an absolute fucking steal.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Oh, and it was great to meet SJ, and have a quick catchup with Dan for the first time in about 5 and a half years!
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I hate you. :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Beany

Post by Beany »

Hurrah!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:D 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Pleasantly surprised then.

What nutjob spends more money than the value of a car fixing it then sells it?
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 pm Pleasantly surprised then.
Usually photos make a scruffy car look better than it is, but this car looks better than the photos. It ain’t mint and never will be, but it’s not bad, either.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Bargaintastic - sounds like it’s in fine fettle, and some of the panels are the same colour too! ;)
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:23 pm Bargaintastic - sounds like it’s in fine fettle, and some of the panels are the same colour too! ;)
Buy 1 shade of silver, get 5 free :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Simon

Post by Simon »

I love this. From all this thread the thing that appeals most is the fact that it's sound underneath with a good engine and you'll be able to drive the doors off it without it losing a chunk of cash.

Great darts Rev, enjoy!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

Amazing - you’ve come up trumps with that one Rev. Hartech rebuild they didn’t mention in the ad and the only dealer to post photos which made it seem worse than it looked!

Even the gap on the front offside bumper doesn’t seem to be there! Are you sure it’s the same car :lol:

What were your sons reaction?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The dealer is obviously rolling in cash and couldn't be bothered spending 15mins looking through the paperwork and writing a decent ad with a couple of decent photos and probably making a few more grand off it.

Looks a very good buy for a boob (that is now an official forum unit of measurement isn't it? )
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 pm The dealer is obviously rolling in cash and couldn't be bothered spending 15mins looking through the paperwork and writing a decent ad with a couple of decent photos and probably making a few more grand off it.

Looks a very good buy for a boob (that is now an official forum unit of measurement isn't it? )
I have two boobs, I'm fucking rich!
GG.

Post by GG. »

They’re moobs, Beany.
Beany

Post by Beany »

GG. wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:19 pm They’re moobs, Beany.
fuuuuuuu.jpg
fuuuuuuu.jpg (27.35 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
mik

Post by mik »

Porsche Wanker!

Well done (YC). 8-)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 pm The dealer is obviously rolling in cash and couldn't be bothered spending 15mins looking through the paperwork and writing a decent ad with a couple of decent photos and probably making a few more grand off it.

They take the photos in the auction yard and list them on eBay hours after the physical auction has ended, let alone receive delivery of them / test drive / check paper work.

They make fortunes