Green Laning report

Orange Cola

Re: Green Laning report

Post by Orange Cola »

Nathan wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:31 pm
Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:46 pm That MX5 looks awful and the wheel travel will be no greater than normal due to the way it's been lifted. Nath, you're an ass.
Tell me more about the extreme wheel travel and axle articulation you use ;)
Well, given it’s a purpose designed sports car where the aim is to minimise wheel travel to just about cover bumps to an acceptable level of comfort compared to a purpose designed off road vehicle then Jobbo’s car will have better wheel travel, articulation, ground clearance, wading depths, body clearances and drive line properties. Funny that, isn’t it ;)
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:46 pm That MX5 looks awful and the wheel travel will be no greater than normal due to the way it's been lifted. Nath, you're an ass.
Nath, the MX5 isn't even 4wd.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

You realise I wasn't actually instructing him to buy it
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Well, given it’s a purpose designed sports car where the aim is to minimise wheel travel to just about cover bumps to an acceptable level of comfort compared to a purpose designed off road vehicle then Jobbo’s car will have better wheel travel, articulation, ground clearance, wading depths, body clearances and drive line properties. Funny that, isn’t it ;)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Remind us of something - anything - you do Nathan so we can compare and critique :D
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:09 am Remind us of something - anything - you do Nathan so we can compare and critique :D
Here he is:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Nathan wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 am You realise I wasn't actually instructing him to buy it
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:41 pm

I didn’t for a second suspect you were.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

A few of my green laning photos have been used in the GLASS monthly bulletins and I have an article in the next magazine due in a couple of weeks.

This is now effectively the off-season, because you can easily damage unsurfaced lanes when they’re wet. So I’m thinking about car stuff and lanes to do next year. Might change the Vitara for a newer one of the same, though I’m keen on a 2014-on Grand Cherokee. Probably just get some chunky tyres for the current Vitara.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I took the Jimny out today and explored some lanes near me. Plenty blocked, either by fallen trees or illegally gated by landowners. I think lockdown has given people time to make life awkward; I will be contributing to making their lives awkward in return by getting them reopened.

Anyway, I avoided scratchy lanes - and plenty are scratchy after not being used much this year. Still some great fun, particularly wheelspinning in the ford at Kineton where a family were picnicking - I hadn’t put it in 4wd and there was an awkward step to get out 😄

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

It does look fun 8-)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Nice thing about a Jimny is it doesn’t get any dodgy looks from people. It’s a bit like an old Defender in that way, I think; looks like it belongs off the tarmac.
John

Post by John »

I’ve often been tempted by a cheapish Jimny but they seem to have the same rust protection as provided by Mazda on the mx5 :)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Yeah, I’m not going to get it muddy before I’ve had it properly protected underneath. But it’s 13 years old and seems ok so far; being garaged and not used much helps.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Sounds like bolt cutters and a small chainsaw are required 😂
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Looks in its element 8-)
Congrats on getting out in the lanes again.
Left over crest; tightens.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Looks good 8-)

Need new tyres on mine, the rubber still passes the finger nail test but they are 9 years old now and done over 50,000 miles.

Going to go slightly bigger diameter next time, 255/85/16. Essential for Greenland’s and kids thinking it looks cool :lol:

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

White writing on the sidewalls?
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

How will you get access restored to those lanes which were closed?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

I gotta say I don't get it. It's exercise for people who are too lazy to exercise. Get some trainers on and go for a run!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Simon wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:46 pm How will you get access restored to those lanes which were closed?
They are public highway. The local authority has an obligation to make the landowner open them back up.

Not going to be enforcing this alone of course; that’s a recipe for frustration!

Jon, there’s a lot of fun to be had driving a car where you wouldn’t normally do so. I like exploring the rights of way too. Why would you go for a run when cycling is so much more efficient and less harmful to your joints?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:27 pm White writing on the sidewalls?
Is there any other way :oops:

Dave!