Green Laning report

Marv

Re: Green Laning report

Post by Marv »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 pm
Jon, there’s a lot of fun to be had driving a car where you wouldn’t normally do so. I like exploring the rights of way too. Why would you go for a run when cycling is so much more efficient and less harmful to your joints?
I've started doing a bit of off roading/green laning on my trail bike. Completely agree with your sentiments Jobbo. It is good fun exploring places you'd never take performance cars.

Rode along Peddars way last month... Was a bit tricky due to large sections with ruts, because of those pesky 4x4 green laners 😉 was otherwise rather enjoyable and pretty easy (as per pic below). I only came flying off the bike once 😂

Oui, je suis un motard.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I saw your comments on Wiltshire Byways’ channel on YouTube; he’s providing a great service for 4x4s as well as trail bikes. I am often envious of the ability a bike has to fit where even a Jimny can’t.

I’ll explore some of those when I get my e-MTB though. And bridleways/restricted byways which aren’t legal for any other sort of motorised vehicle 😃

Have to confess I’m not sure I’d fit all my maps and kit on a bike though 😄
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

A bit of exploration in Herefordshire this weekend. I didn't encounter any locked gates; I did find an obstructed byway but I was expecting that because my mapping database had a comment to that effect.

The Jimny's air-con works OK when driving along but doesn't like it when you're stationary for a while so I'll get it re-gassed shortly. It's going to the garage I bought it from during lockdown next week, to be MOTed and have the rusty exhaust heat shield replaced and possibly the front kingpins - that's a common Jimny issue which causes a steering wobble at 45mph but they're easy to replace and cheap (and shouldn't be at my cost anyway). The garage workshop was closed when I bought it so he couldn't attend to these then. It's a great car, really enjoying it. I'm appreciating the small size when down the lanes, too.

JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

8-)

How easy is it to find the lanes and do you get loads of funny looks from people out walking or whatever?
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Finding lanes isn't hard if you enjoying poring over an OS map; it's also useful to pay the £40 or so a year to be a member of the Green Lane Association because you get access to Trailwise2, which is their overlaid data about lanes. A lot of which are dead-ends, tarmac residential roads, stubs where a new road has been built etc, but getting out and exploring is why this is fun. I walked quite a bit before driving some; in particular, the blocked one - and had a good conversation with the people who lived next to the blockage who clearly didn't want people driving down it. So I didn't, because why ruin someone's day?
Marv

Post by Marv »

Looks good Jobbo. If I was to Greenlane in a 4x4, think a Jimny would be my choice too.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Photos look great Jobbo, I like the Jimny 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Please tell me you’ve named the Jimmy “Choo”.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:39 pm Please tell me you’ve named the Jimmy “Choo”.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I find this thread really, really confusing now. :oops:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

mik wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:39 pm Please tell me you’ve named the Jimmy “Choo”.
It's called Boj, for possibly obvious reasons.

Jimmy, if you've not got the kids on a Saturday give me a shout and I'll take you out.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:45 pm
It's called Boj, for possibly obvious reasons.

Jimmy, if you've not got the kids on a Saturday give me a shout and I'll take you out.
I'm fully kidded up for the next two weeks. How about September?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

We're away quite a bit in Sept but will find a date,
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Been a while since I updated this thread - though we've had a couple of lockdowns. Jimmy is coming out in a couple of weeks, but I also went out for the day on Saturday. My ex-stepson wanted to do some more challenging lanes so I came up with a route from Gloucestershire to Warwickshire, ignoring quite a few lanes en route which we'd done before or which were apparently straightforward and doing some less well trod routes.

It was a glorious day for it; apart from one group of trail bikers who we passed on a tarmac section going the other way, we didn't see anyone out on the lanes other than horses and a few walkers. Started the day at Stanton, where there's a lane up the Cotswolds from behind the Mount Inn which until a couple of years ago seemed not to have been used much at all and even now seems to be off-putting from its description. I'd cycled up it a couple of months ago so was confident there were no obstacles which were impassable, but I realised later on that you get a very different view on a bike.

There was a request that the lanes weren't too scratchy. So I took the gardening equipment and made a fair bit of use of it (in Glos at least - Warks lanes seem to be wider on the whole so the loppers came out just once in the afternoon). The Stanton lane was pretty narrow and scratchy in quite a few places so after that, I didn't care so much about a few scrapes and it seemed neither did the others. Great views from a convenient stopping point half way up:

From the top, after a discussion with a horse rider who claimed it was a footpath (it isn't - it even says 'Public Road' on the waymarkers on gateposts) we headed down towards Kineton where I'd cycled a possible lane the previous week. Kineton (the Glos one) has 4 or 5 fords in and around it, so first we drove the three main ones then headed down to the lane which I'd been slightly trepidatious about after cycling it. I'd thought it was probably too narrow; a hard soil surface with a steep drop down on one side. It turned out to be plenty wide enough; on a bike, you don't just drive through the soft foliage at the side of the track but in a 4x4 that's exactly what you do. A nice little climb after an unmade ford:

From there we found a few more previously unexplored lanes on the way to Stow on the Wold, where the world and his wife had gone in their interesting cars to sit in a traffic jam on the southbound Fosse Way. We were heading north so crossed over into Warks and stopped for a Ginsters at the start of the next lane; very different in character, appropriate for the change in county. Warwickshire lanes seemed to be more field-based so wider, more gates and often with deep ruts from farm vehicles and equipment. Some were clearly not well used; I regret I omitted to take a photo while driving through 4-5ft high grass and weeds along the edge of a field, stopping quite a few times to check that we really were on a legal route. Even better, that particular lane went into a hole in a hedge at the end of the field, taking a nearly 90 degree right inside the hole and exiting through a gate barely wider than the Disco Sport, over a large hidden concrete block or post of some sort.

We had a pit stop at a nice pub in Tysoe next, with quite a few pictures on the wall of the landlady with George Best. Then to the Dassetts where we found the two legal unmade routes to the top (more interesting of the two below); this one pops out directly next to one of the car parks so plenty of people gawping.

Not expecting too much from the remaining couple of lanes since they were nearer to civilisation, the first half of the penultimate one was just tarmac. Little did we expect this to become the biggest challenge of the day. The lane was so narrow, my gate opener couldn't get back in the car after closing it behind us so he walked down. It was tight for a Jimny, with quite a few side slopes which made it particularly interesting when I reached a wall to the right; I had to pull in the mirror to get past. The Disco Sport scraped its folded mirror along the wall to get through.

The whole of the second half of this lane was great fun. We found a GLASS waymarker at one point, so it is worth remembering that it's down to volunteers to fight to keep these open and to work to keep them passable; we gave back a bit by maintaining and cutting back fallen boughs during the day.

Finally, the big ford I'd found to finish off wasn't particularly deep - a 2wd Qashqai went through after us - but being pretty close to Stratford it was easy to get back home from.

Stopping at Stanton again on the way back for refreshment at the Mount Inn, bookending the day with a fabulous view again (Ferrari GTC4 departing the pub not in shot):
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Very nice 😎

I’ve not done any in ages so really should get my arse in gear and take Connor out for the day.

Great weather for it and nice work on tidying up the lanes.

Dave!
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:21 pm Image
Risky… :shock: I hope you had the land owner’s permission… ;) :lol:

Looks like a cracking day out
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Barry

Post by Barry »

I did a little gentle green-laning myself at the weekend (on two wheels though)

Need to get some engine bars and Barkbusters ordered soon, before I drop the bike 8-)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Thanks Simon, now I keep looking at this advert

1999 Freesport Rav4.
MOT until 19/03/2022
153k miles
Some service history. Cambelt, water pump and aux belts and tensioners done by Toyota at 127k and I’ve done oil changes.
Electric windows.
Power Steering.
Electric sunroof.
Factory strut brace.
Dealer fit genuine Toyota spoiler
Genuine Toyota roof bars.
4wd and center diff lock.
Very presentable and original. A few minor car park marks and scuffs, usual stuff for a 20 odd year old car.
Just had two new Bridgestone Turanza tyres on front.
We’ve owned our Rav since March 2013, the longest we’ve ever owned any vehicle, we’ve kept it this long mainly as its always been such a great car so we’re reluctant to let it go but we’re not using it much now I work from home.
Located in Bath, Somerset.
£775 ovno
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Buy it. Even if you don't take it off tarmac.

Some decent lanes not too far from you.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

I like it because it looks like a design for a car out of the animation movie Cars.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I can thoroughly recommend having a crack at green laneing.

Especially if you go to a pub with a comedy name for lunch and let the owner of the car have a couple of pints so you get to do all but one of the routes. :lol:
Banal Vapid Platitudes