The Ambitious Plans of Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus

SSO

The Ambitious Plans of Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus

Post by SSO »

Just posted a new article on The Ambitious Plans of Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus:

https://karenable.com/the-ambitious-pla ... ickenhaus/

Comments?
_andy

Re: The Ambitious Plans of Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus

Post by _andy »

Sounds like they may be overreaching slightly by doing too much at once, these supercar businesses seem to have long gestation periods and I'm not sure that can be shortcut.

That NHTSA end-run might be subject to review should there be a change of regime.
SSO

Post by SSO »

_andy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 pm Sounds like they may be overreaching slightly by doing too much at once, these supercar businesses seem to have long gestation periods and I'm not sure that can be shortcut.

That NHTSA end-run might be subject to review should there be a change of regime.
On the NHTSA, the approval is final. Any attempts to challenge it would end up in a very long court fight that I doubt the government would win.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

All I know is that would be a brilliant title for a film. 8-)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

_andy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 pm Sounds like they may be overreaching slightly by doing too much at once, these supercar businesses seem to have long gestation periods and I'm not sure that can be shortcut.

And very much this.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

SSO wrote: I’m not sure how many 004’s in total SCG is planning on building but would like to see them declare a cap on the production run as it will both drive interest and support values long term.
This is a depressing reality, that simply making something excellent and desirable and selling for a profit to as many people as possible isn't seen as the best business plan.

Porsche engage in similar infuriating but twistedly logical marketing/product planning.

Question though, what was the F40 business lesson? Did they build to many, too few or just enough(-1)? All following supercars seemed to work their production numbers downwards from that point on.
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:49 pm
SSO wrote: I’m not sure how many 004’s in total SCG is planning on building but would like to see them declare a cap on the production run as it will both drive interest and support values long term.
This is a depressing reality, that simply making something excellent and desirable and selling for a profit to as many people as possible isn't seen as the best business plan.

Porsche engage in similar infuriating but twistedly logical marketing/product planning.

Question though, what was the F40 business lesson? Did they build to many, too few or just enough(-1)? All following supercars seemed to work their production numbers downwards from that point on.
The F40 was an interesting situation, Ferrari announced they would only build 400 F40s then ended up making close to 1400 (which marked the 1st major application of Maranello Math to official build numbers). The reason Ferrari kept building F40s was at the time, it was the only car they were making significant money on and they needed the revenue to keep the lights on. The high number of F40s is the reason they are worth half what an F50 or 288GTO is today.
_andy

Post by _andy »

RobYob wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:49 pm
I think there are a few reasons for this, it helps to negate the embarrasment of not selling them all, you need to maintain fewer spares, hopefully boost residuals, generates good press as you can announce they're all sold within 10 minutes of being made available, a small run is quicker and easier than setting up for a full on production run, can charge more.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:29 am All I know is that would be a brilliant title for a film. 8-)
I can picture it in yellow capital Futura font already!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:39 pm
JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:29 am All I know is that would be a brilliant title for a film. 8-)
“From the imagination of Terry Gilliam, starring Jonny Depp...”
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:41 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:39 pm
“From the imagination of Terry Gilliam, starring Jonny Depp...”
Depp can fuck off - it’s a Wes Anderson film in my head!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I had Depp in mind, I must confess.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Like I said on their Twitter feed and am yet to receive a response, why are they building an LMP1 car when the class has been scrapped?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:09 am Like I said on their Twitter feed and am yet to receive a response, why are they building an LMP1 car when the class has been scrapped?
I'd guess that they'll run SCG007 in LMP1 WEC 19/20 as a shakedown before a proper go at the "hypercar" class 20/21.

It will probably be slower under LMP1 regs than ideal but it would be smart for them to get experience in the class for a year. It'll be a not inconsiderable step-up from the quasi GT3 rules SCG003 runs at Nurburgring (24hr is this weekend btw)
SSO

Post by SSO »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:09 am Like I said on their Twitter feed and am yet to receive a response, why are they building an LMP1 car when the class has been scrapped?
They are building a hyper car. When first announced it wasn't clear if the the LMP1 designation was still going to be used for the hypercar class. Hence the confusion.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

SSO wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 pm
They are building a hyper car. When first announced it wasn't clear if the the LMP1 designation was still going to be used for the hypercar class. Hence the confusion.
Just to clarify, I wasn't miffed that I hadn't had a response from you! I just think it's a bit daft when companies utilise social media then don't respond when you ask them questions about their products.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:50 pm
SSO wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 pm
Just to clarify, I wasn't miffed that I hadn't had a response from you! I just think it's a bit daft when companies utilise social media then don't respond when you ask them questions about their products.
I emailed them a while ago suggesting they look at Pyromeral composite exhausts but never got even an acknowledgement. I think they just do their own thing which is probably not unwise all things considered.