Ferrari 360 Longing

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Ferrari 360 Longing

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ever since my Dad bought an Alfa I've developed an urge for a 360 Modena. So that's been over a week now. Has anyone here got first or second hand horror stories to put me off please ?

(fwiw it appears Sundayjumper Silver is cheaper than Resale Red, which is a nice surprise)

360.jpg
360.jpg (44.81 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
GG.

Re: Ferrari 360 Longing

Post by GG. »

I seem to remember Ian noting that there was a big jump up in quality from a 360 to a 430 and that put him off the earlier model but I'm sure he'll chip in.

That silly seen through glass man-child has one too and went into detail on servicing / maintenance. Have you seen his videos?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I hired one when I proposed to the wife.

It’s surprisingly frugal on a cruise.
It sounds incredible through tunnels.
It’s not as wayward as roadyests made out, I felt comfortable to push it a little after 50 miles or so.
It sounds incredible out of tunnels.
I can’t remember now but I did about 4 or 5 tanks of fuel in a weekend.
400hp is enough, I was able to use full throttle far more than expected. I never felt like it needed more power and never felt like it was too much, even in a wet Wales.
It was great fun when kids pointed as you just dropped some gears and saw the, grin like idiots.
It’s better looking than the 355...........
If you get one, I’ll be very jealous.
The F1 box was actually ok, I think I’d be happy with either gearbox.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

This guy is another yootoober with one that has been into detail on various videos with maintenance and general experience of owning the car: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIuwp4 ... R41yCpx8mQ

FWIW I really like the look of the 360s too (but would have to be challenge grill, wheels and bucket seats for me). I think it would also potentially have to be a yellow spider :oops:
Simon

Post by Simon »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:38 am

Dave!
You were doing so well till that point.

Yes, age has been very kind to the 360's looks, but the 355 is better looking than just about any Ferrari in the last 25 years, FACT.

/thread.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

GG. wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:41 am I think it would also potentially have to be a yellow spider :oops:
Do you, ahem, bat for the other side so to speak? :lol:
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Simon wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:52 am
V8Granite wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:38 am

Dave!
You were doing so well till that point.

Yes, age has been very kind to the 360's looks, but the 355 is better looking than just about any Ferrari in the last 25 years, FACT.

/thread.
This. I think the 355 is the best looking v8 mid engine Ferrari with the 360 probably the least but it looks better with age.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:38 am I hired one when I proposed to the wife.
I'd forgotten you'd driven one ! You took it camping IIRC ?

From the reading I've done I can see it being a good fit.

It's the model that marked a sea change in manufacturing processes & reliability (just like DB7 -> Vantage)

It's the model whose styling was not widely liked at first but is now settling into its own identity quite nicely (just like 993 -> 996)

I can't see references to any IMS-style nightmares. Ball joints & bushes seem to the the most regular things outside of routine service & consumables and they're easily DIYable. Belt change can be done with the engine in-situ, unlike the 355.

This is just a whim at the moment. I do this. I obsess over something for a few weeks, reading every article I can find and maybe making a spreadsheet. Then I drift off. If it's still on my mind in six months or so then I tell myself it's not a whim and maybe I should think about it seriously.

Dear Santa....
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Never liked the 355s tacked on smiley grille or afterburner rear light conversion although that's easily sorted with a challenge grille which is also essential on a 360.

I think the 360 is ageing nicely, it's very much of its time. They need to sit correctly and be a decent colour though.

Red and yellow ones just look cheap tacky and plasticy and a bit too 'kit car'
Cheers, Harry
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 am From the reading I've done I can see it being a good fit. I do this. I obsess over something for a few weeks, reading every article I can find and maybe making a spreadsheet. Then I drift off. If it's still on my mind in six months or so then I tell myself it's not a whim and maybe I should think about it seriously.
Exactly the same here although oddly it's over small stuff normally - a new crash hat or something. I'm much more impulsive on the big purchases.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:16 am Never liked the 355s tacked on smiley grille or afterburner rear light conversion although that's easily sorted with a challenge grille which is also essential on a 360.
The double-decker side scoops are the big which I particularly dislike on the 355. An early 348 with the black sills is the most elegant of that body shape, I think, though the OE wheels aren't great, so...:

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:16 am They need to sit correctly...
They use proper coilovers so it's easy (should be easy...) to adjust them down a bit. That was one of the first things I researched 8-)

Red and yellow ones just look cheap tacky and plasticy and a bit too 'kit car'
A red Ferrari is a cliché, but "Resale Red" is not a joke, red with cream interior is the fanboi choice, and commands a premium. Yellow is mnostly unloved but on a car like this I think it can work.

With my own money I would obviously only consider a silver car though :D
GG.

Post by GG. »

On refreshing my memory looking at photos maybe yellow wouldn't be my pick. I do prefer the look of the spiders though. The least resolved part of the 360 for me is the point where the roof meets the rear wings / air intakes. The spider is cleaner in that area and the roof is well integrated (unlike the pram top on a 355). I feel like it lowers the visual centre of gravity of the back of the car:

The glass cover for the engine also has more impact as its closer to the engine and you don't see the big plastic pieces either side.

ETA: I'm sure you've already seen it Steve but the above pics are this one at stratstone - silver and manual... https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 500&page=1
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Not keen on the wheels and I think I'd prefer the hardtop.

It goes against my principles on the basis of colour but I have to say, this pic made me go "ooh that's nice".

Further proof (as if it were ever in question :roll: ) that BBS LM are the best wheels EVAR.

ferrari_360_bbs_lm_01.jpg
ferrari_360_bbs_lm_01.jpg (111.57 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
GG.

Post by GG. »

Don't mind it being lowered but I think the non Ferrari wheels and messed about filler cap would put me off. I guess its one thing going for what Ferrari fanboi's would consider an iffy colour but I'd be concerned about selling on something that was 'modified'. I guess as long as its easy enough to put back to stock it should be fine.

ETA: very hard to tell from the resolution of that picture but those wheels also look a bit like they could be Rial Daytona Races rather than BBS LMs?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

You are picking nits ;)

I'd not even noticed the fuel flap. Wheels and ride height are easy enough to change. It was the overall appearance that grabbed me.
ste

Post by ste »

Aethetics are too much of a consideration for me when lusting after a car. I've never liked the 360s looks. I know they're a better car, are cheaper to service, more reliable etc than a 355 but I couldn't buy one over a 355 when a 355 looks as good as it does.

But then I could never own a 996 because of the front lights when every other 911 before and after them looked so much better, despite them being utter bargains.
GG. wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am On refreshing my memory looking at photos maybe yellow wouldn't be my pick. I do prefer the look of the spiders though. The least resolved part of the 360 for me is the point where the roof meets the rear wings / air intakes. The spider is cleaner in that area and the roof is well integrated (unlike the pram top on a 355). I feel like it lowers the visual centre of gravity of the back of the car:

Nope, looks shit.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Look forward seeing it at Simply Italian Beaulieu 2020. 👍
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am Not keen on the wheels and I think I'd prefer the hardtop.

It goes against my principles on the basis of colour but I have to say, this pic made me go "ooh that's nice".

Further proof (as if it were ever in question :roll: ) that BBS LM are the best wheels EVAR.

ferrari_360_bbs_lm_01.jpg
If that car is for sale and you haven't already bought it you don't really want one.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:28 am You are picking nits ;)

I'd not even noticed the fuel flap. Wheels and ride height are easy enough to change. It was the overall appearance that grabbed me.
Did you find the original pics on Inden Design's website? The links are all broken so I had to fiddle with the URL from a google image to get it to work. Correct URL with more images is below if you're interested (they also were LMs - think their "inden design" centre cap was confusing me):

http://en.indendesign.com/ferrari/ferra ... -images/48