Know anything about VW Campervans?

evostick

Know anything about VW Campervans?

Post by evostick »

Anyone looked at these/owned one before?

I'm looking at getting a 4 berth van for trips further south-west. It won't be doing mega miles so in an ideal world I'd like something that's appreciating in value.

I prefer the look of T25s over the earlier one's. They look a bit more practical and less affected by the whole wanky surfer vibe thing that I've never really understood tbh :lol:

Budget is flexible but I don't want to pay over the odds and asking prices seem a bit all over the place. I think I'd like an early 2.0 air-cooled one but the only really clean looking ones I can see are going for the same money as good examples of the older T2s at £18k+

It's not an area of the market that I've ever really looked at before so I've no idea what's been going on with values to date. Are they just appreciating the same as seemingly all old stuff is at the moment? I guess in terms of engine spec. etc. original is best, yes?

I should probably just get a more modern conversion but tbh I like the thought of being able to fix things myself and all the modern vans either look terminally dull or really tacky with ill judged colour schemes and an overuse of the VW logo everywhere. Likewise the jap conversions Bongo/Elgrand etc. do nothing for me in terms of desirability.

Or should I just kill myself/forget it?
Broccers

Re: Know anything about VW Campervans?

Post by Broccers »

I looked at them and thought they are too small. :D
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

evostick wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:55 pm VW Campervans...but I don't want to pay over the odds
I've got some bad news for you...
Middle-aged Dirtbag
evostick

Post by evostick »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:59 pm I looked at them and thought they are too small. :D
I'll be fine. Any other people will be in a tent outside.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:01 pm
evostick wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:55 pm VW Campervans...but I don't want to pay over the odds
I've got some bad news for you...
Yep he's shit out of luck on that one.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

This is wonderful news as I have some huge alloys, a grinder for your springs and an 8 foot Rip Curl sticker sat here for a good price.

Dave!
evostick

Post by evostick »

Fucking useless bunch of twats.

I'm off to find some cool people.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Early ones, splits and bays are too small for four unless two of them are really young children.

T25s noticeably bigger when seen side by side with the earlier ones, and the bigger and uglier the pop top, the more room you have when parked.

No real advice other than buy the one with the least rust you can find for your budget. The oily bits on all old vws are cheap and simple to fix. Bodywork and welding never are.

There's lots of bodged up scrap out there so keep an eye out for the signs of a mountain of filler.
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

I invite you peruse the M.O.T History of the one my mate used to own.

M493RNN

VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER

Colour
White

Fuel type
Diesel

Date registered
2 September 1994

MOT expired on
6 March 2019

Date tested
25 February 2019
FAIL
View test certificate
Mileage
141,704 miles
MOT test number
7553 5544 2802
Test location
View test location
Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
  • Brake load sensing valve inoperative and ABS not fitted or inoperative (1.1.17 (c) (ii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a))

Rear fog lamp not working (4.5.1 (a) (ii))

Nearside Front Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting door pillar holed (6.2.2 (d) (i))

Nearside Front Body insecure bumper to inner wing support rotted off (6.2.2 (a) (i))

Offside Rear Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced outer sill and body panel holed (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Offside Front Inner Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced inner wing and wing holed (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Nearside Rear Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced x member/bumper support holed (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Nearside Front Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced wing (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Nearside Front Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced a pillar and b pillar both holed (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Offside Inner Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting sill holed front and middle and rear (6.2.2 (d) (i))

Offside Rear Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting outrigger @rear suspension mount (6.2.2 (d) (i))

Nearside Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting sill holed at side door (6.2.2 (d) (i))

Nearside Rear Bumper damaged and likely to cause injury when grazed or contacted bumper end cap missing (6.1.4 (a) (i))

Exhaust emissions likely to be affected by an exhaust leak (8.2.2.1 (b))

Exhaust system insecure (6.1.2 (a))

Offside Front Outer Prop shaft joint constant velocity boot no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))

Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))

Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded to caliper (1.1.11 (c))

Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded to caliper (1.1.11 (c))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
scotta

Post by scotta »

He still got £4 -5k when he sold it as an MOT failure with the above list.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

One of my riding mates has a T25 - we were asking about it the other day, he said it was a bit sheddy - he’d still spent something like £10k buying it and another £8k on it so far...
evostick

Post by evostick »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:39 pm Early ones, splits and bays are too small for four unless two of them are really young children.

T25s noticeably bigger when seen side by side with the earlier ones, and the bigger and uglier the pop top, the more room you have when parked.

No real advice other than buy the one with the least rust you can find for your budget. The oily bits on all old vws are cheap and simple to fix. Bodywork and welding never are.

There's lots of bodged up scrap out there so keep an eye out for the signs of a mountain of filler.
Cheers.

Looking at something like thishttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T25-air-c ... %7Ciid%3A1

or maybe this later water-cooled one without the appealing paint and associated price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T25-Devon ... 3836780309
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

evostick wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm Fucking useless bunch of twats.

I'm off to find some cool people.
Forum strapline - acquired :D
evostick

Post by evostick »

scotta wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:39 pm I invite you peruse the M.O.T History of the one my mate used to own.

He should use the same test centre that passes my truck :lol:
scotta

Post by scotta »

evostick wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:48 pm
scotta wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:39 pm I invite you peruse the M.O.T History of the one my mate used to own.

He should use the same test centre that passes my truck :lol:
After that list i dont think id fancy sitting in it never mind whilst its moving!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:30 pm Image
John

Post by John »

Coconut sex wax is the best smelling thing on earth.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8976625 ... 7552426171

This is pretty rad.

Worth noting really easy to steal.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I don't think you should suggest he steals one.