New Car

Beany

Re: New Car

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:23 pm My mito had its third pair of front wishbones at the beginning of this year. It goes through them twice as fast as the tyres :lol:
Pattern part or OEM?

Because if those are OEM parts, that's utterly fucking terrible.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Jezh wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am ^THIS

Genuinely regret selling my 2.4 20V. relatively light and oodles of torque with the uprated Bilstein dampers from Harvey Bailey Engineering it was a dream to drive.

Still such a good looking car.

Mine was a Veloce and it was the hardest-riding, least comfortable, most prone to scraping speedbumps car I've ever had.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:44 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:23 pm My mito had its third pair of front wishbones at the beginning of this year. It goes through them twice as fast as the tyres :lol:
Pattern part or OEM?

Because if those are OEM parts, that's utterly fucking terrible.
I’ve had both, last set was pattern and they lasted even less so I’m back to OEM now.
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You must be smashing it over every speed bump flat out because they're exactly the same on every punto, mito and corsa and never read of they being particularly troublesome.

Mines on nearly 38k on the originals, the punto it replaced was on 50k on the originals.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

simon_g wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:45 pm
Still such a good looking car.

Mine was a Veloce and it was the hardest-riding, least comfortable, most prone to scraping speedbumps car I've ever had.
Decent looking rideheight ( i.e. Not on stilts ) and long front overhang make them all a bit poop on speed bumps, mito is the same and scrapes reversing off our drive where my miles lower compact doesn't.
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:11 pm You must be smashing it over every speed bump flat out because they're exactly the same on every punto, mito and corsa and never read of they being particularly troublesome.

Mines on nearly 38k on the originals, the punto it replaced was on 50k on the originals.
My original set just rusted, but to be fair I used it daily for the first few years and winters were much worse at the beginning of the decade, second set got killed quickly from really broken springs I think. Third set were pattern parts which were just shit but they cost £40 and I was going to get rid. But I didn’t. Fourth set OEM fitted this year.

Car has only had 3 sets of tyres on it, the original Pirellis which wore out quickly, then I’ve got my current summer and winter tyres which are probably 8 years old now.

So, 4 wishbones, 3 sets of tyres, 2 front springs in 54,000 miles. Plus the alternator, condenser, free respray, clutch, gearbox, rear window and whatever other shit escapes my mind. Oh lots of engine mounts too.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

On the plus side, you have owned an Alfa so can now consider yourself a true petrolhead 8-)
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ahhh, I remember those days of always being kept on one's toes as to what was going to fail next. Now 7.5 years since I owned anything like that and I don't miss it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:11 pm You must be smashing it over every speed bump flat out because they're exactly the same on every punto, mito and corsa and never read of they being particularly troublesome.

My original set just rusted, but to be fair I used it daily for the first few years and winters were much worse at the beginning of the decade, second set got killed quickly from really broken springs I think. Third set were pattern parts which were just shit but they cost £40 and I was going to get rid. But I didn’t. Fourth set OEM fitted this year.

Car has only had 3 sets of tyres on it, the original Pirellis which wore out quickly, then I’ve got my current summer and winter tyres which are probably 8 years old now.

So, 4 wishbones, 3 sets of tyres, 2 front springs in 54,000 miles. Plus the alternator, condenser, free respray, clutch, gearbox, rear window and whatever other shit escapes my mind. Oh lots of engine mounts too.
Christ, my near 20 year old Puma didn't need that many major parts replacing on it.

I'll grant you, it rusted more....but still.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Beany wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:48 pm
Mito Man wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm

Christ, my near 20 year old Puma didn't need that many major parts replacing on it.

I'll grant you, it rusted more....but still.
I had the 166 for 50k miles, from 70k to 120k. In that time it needed....

Gearbox.
Clutch
Bushes. All of them.
Front suspension arms
engine mounts
shocks
springs
heater (due to a small fire)
cam belt and tensioners
exhaust
and the drivers seat broke.

It was not a cheap car to run.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:27 pm heater (due to a small fire)
:lol: Classic. I should be thankful mine just died (though it was February when it chose to let go and I had to drive from Yorkshire to London with gloves on... unpleasant)

HBYOC as well by the way!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Forgot about my replacement exhaust and rear brake callipers :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

'Mine' has had a pair of front springs because one broke, and a headlight level sensor in 38,000 miles and 7 years :cry:

Edit, and an exhaust back box.
Cheers, Harry
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:23 pm List sounds the same as what goes wrong on pretty much every 10+ year old car. At least the gt still looks good while it's sat broken, unlike most.

I saw a white 11 reg one today - had to look twice at it as the colour softens the lines of it and I wasn't sure it was a GT at first

Don't think I've ever seen a white one before

Last edited by Mike1215 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:33 pm 'Mine' has had a pair of front springs because one broke, and a headlight level sensor in 38,000 miles and 7 years :cry:

Edit, and an exhaust back box.
That's hardly any "character". It's obviously not a "real Alfa".
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Always liked the GT. Nice looking car. Biscuit interior too, double nice.

Diesel Alfa's are a certain level of heresy, though.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Sundayjumper wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:44 pm Anyone want to wager which bit breaks next ?
Did anyone put money on swirl flaps ?? :lol:

Not confirmed but that’s the first guess the garage has made after it was recovered to them on a flatbed this week.