Arrival: McLaren Senna

Post by SSO »

New karenable.com article on the arrival of the McLaren Senna just posted:

https://karenable.com/arrival-the-mclaren-senna/

Comments?
unzippy

Re: Arrival: McLaren Senna

Post by unzippy »

That iPad, what a gopping afterthought. It's like a Nokia 6210 car kit bodged in from back in the day :shock: :lol:

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

And yet doesn't detract in any way from the looks of the thing :lol: of course it's a wonderful car but my God its been beaten with an ugly tree, not just the one stick.

SSO - congrats on the new hypercar 👍🏼 one question - with all the McLarens you've had, do they ever feel like variations on a theme or are they all different in feel?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

And yet doesn't detract in any way from the looks of the thing :lol: of course it's a wonderful car but my God its been beaten with an ugly tree, not just the one stick.

SSO - congrats on the new hypercar 👍🏼 one question - with all the McLarens you've had, do they ever feel like variations on a theme or are they all sufficiently different to feel like new experiences each time?
Foz

Post by Foz »

As impressive as that car is, I cant think of a recent car I find more aesthetically displeasing :cry:
GG.

Post by GG. »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:30 am And yet doesn't detract in any way from the looks of the thing :lol: of course it's a wonderful car but my God its been beaten with an ugly tree, not just the one stick.

SSO - congrats on the new hypercar 👍🏼 one question - with all the McLarens you've had, do they ever feel like variations on a theme or are they all sufficiently different to feel like new experiences each time?
Was posting this twice with small changes riffing off the theme of McLarens being the same but slightly different :lol:

I've said my piece on the aesthetics so don't need to again but clearly agree with the general consensus of opinion on that!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

As I've never seen a Senna IRL I'll hope it falls into the "unphotogenic but actually really nice" bin along with the Lotus Evora and Alpine A110, hope it looks better in the carbon, certainly the blue is a cool choice.

Great that you'll put road miles on it, be an interesting comparison to those other "race cars for the road" you've had.

Jalopnik commented on the F50 being "too much" for most owners, but clearly not in your experience judging by the Supercar Ghosts post of yours.
SSO

Post by SSO »

JLv3.0 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:30 am And yet doesn't detract in any way from the looks of the thing :lol: of course it's a wonderful car but my God its been beaten with an ugly tree, not just the one stick.

On the ugly - time will tell. F50s were originally derided as hideous

Good question on the McLaren's. SO far they have all been very different. The P1 was just mental. The 675LT Spider is hugely involving and always a blast to drive, the 720S shockingly fast, and the 650S Spider really good all around.
SSO

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 pm
Jalopnik commented on the F50 being "too much" for most owners, but clearly not in your experience judging by the Supercar Ghosts post of yours.
No idea where they would have gotten the idea that the F50 is too much. It was a beautifully balanced and linear car. The F40 is the bigger handful of the two.
SSO

Post by SSO »

unzippy wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:52 am That iPad, what a gopping afterthought. It's like a Nokia 6210 car kit bodged in from back in the day :shock: :lol:

It definitely not an iPad. iPads have better screens and are more functional.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

After watching a Shmee video (I know Inknow) I’ve grown to really love it, it’s like someone took a proper race car and smoothed over the sharp edges.

Dave!
_andy

Post by _andy »

RobYob wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:50 pm As I've never seen a Senna IRL I'll hope it falls into the "unphotogenic but actually really nice" bin along with the Lotus Evora and Alpine A110, hope it looks better in the carbon, certainly the blue is a cool choice.
They're not much better in the flesh, but then you can't see it when you're driving, so it's everyone elses problem :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Good video from Chris Harris the other day comparing the Senna to a McLaren GT3 racer.

Basically the GT3 obliterated it.

So much for the much vaunted 'race car with number plates' puff eh?

The Senna doesn't appeal on any level I'm afraid...
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought it was an odd claim that it would be as fast as a GT3 car, it probably is on some specific circuit maybe with slick tyres?

It is an odd car in many respects, so compromised that it’s not as nice to drive on the road as other McLarens, but not compromised enough to beat its own objective. It’s ugly so that it can have loads of aero but then it’s still massively lacking it compared to a pretty GT3 car. Then it’s been surpassed for track purposes by the GTR as the standard one is presumably not suitable for racing out of the box.
How about not having a sig at all?
SSO

Post by SSO »

DaveE wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:30 pm Good video from Chris Harris the other day comparing the Senna to a McLaren GT3 racer.

Basically the GT3 obliterated it.

So much for the much vaunted 'race car with number plates' puff eh?

The Senna doesn't appeal on any level I'm afraid...
The comparison I would put weight on is the Senna GTR vs. 650 GT3. Slicks vs slicks.