New 1-series

mik

Re: New 1-series

Post by mik »

No surprise. The prototype was active 11yrs ago.

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Rich B wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:22 pm Before this you have to choose between an F40 and a golf. This is the answer - it’s called an F40, but it’s basically a Golf.
See previous page ;)

It doesn't look to me like the overall bonnet length has changed, just the overhang making it appear so. A bit like the Alfa (Brera?) prototype and production model. Regulations will force similarities on cars, though if you look back at any period in time you can always see similarities in cars of the same era.

I dare say it won't be long before there's a vid on yt where someone's whipped the front shafts out, maybe longer until it's done ito a 4wd...
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

JLv3.0 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:17 pm What do people expect five door hatches to look like? :lol:
Not blue!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

IanF wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:48 am
Richard wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:25 am Surely most people bought a 1 series for the badge?

This’ll be the same, but with more legroom

Makes sense to build it on the Mini/X1 platform

Will there be a m140i version? The new M135i (302bhp) is already less powerful than the outgoing M140i (335bhp), but I guess that makes sense, numberwise?
In a previous article, Autocar stated the new M135i is as fast as the latest M140i due AWD etc., and by moving back down the list of numbers, it’s creating a gap for a full fat M-car.
The new M135i is 0.2 sec slower to 62mph than my M140i but who cares about that. The real difference will be where mine would go away from it once rolling due to the torque of the 6cyl motor. This is why it is so much better than the S3/GolfR/Civic 2l 4cyl cars. The mid-range torque is vastly superior with the bigger motor IMO.

I'll be very interested to have a go in one just to see what it's like.
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

McSwede wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Same here, I've enjoyed the Minis I've had

”If we could have rear-wheel drive for this generation we wouldn’t, because what we have is a better system,” Jochen Schmalholz, BMW’s 1 Series product manager, told Auto Express. “The two main purchase reasons were a sporty design and strong driving dynamics; this car will be the benchmark in its class in this respect.”

Plus if they're a bit crap the old rwd ones will be around for a good few years
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mike1215 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:15 pm

Same here, I've enjoyed the Minis I've had

”If we could have rear-wheel drive for this generation we wouldn’t, because what we have is a better system,” Jochen Schmalholz, BMW’s 1 Series product manager, told Auto Express. “The two main purchase reasons were a sporty design and strong driving dynamics; this car will be the benchmark in its class in this respect.”

Plus if they're a bit crap the old rwd ones will be around for a good few years
I've had a Mini Cuntryman Cooper S as a loaner and it was good fun so it should hopefully be quite interesting.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Richard wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:25 am Surely most people bought a 1 series for the badge?

This’ll be the same, but with more legroom

Makes sense to build it on the Mini/X1 platform

Will there be a m140i version? The new M135i (302bhp) is already less powerful than the outgoing M140i (335bhp), but I guess that makes sense, numberwise?
In a previous article, Autocar stated the new M135i is as fast as the latest M140i due AWD etc., and by moving back down the list of numbers, it’s creating a gap for a full fat M-car.
The new M135i is 0.2 sec slower to 62mph than my M140i but who cares about that. The real difference will be where mine would go away from it once rolling due to the torque of the 6cyl motor. This is why it is so much better than the S3/GolfR/Civic 2l 4cyl cars. The mid-range torque is vastly superior with the bigger motor IMO.

I’ve had a play with a neighbour and his M240i and there’s zero practical difference between his car and my Golf R at any point in acceleration, at least up to the only-slightly-illegal speeds we’ve done on the road. The 4wd Golf is faster out of roundabouts due to me being able to get on the power sooner.

The BMW may have 100Nm more torque, but it’s also 130kg heavier.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

How is this the F40 when BMW moved to G-designations for the latest models? Has it been sitting on BMW's shelf for a while or are they using G prefixes for rwd and F for fwd?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Rich B wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 am The only real criticism of the 1 series from “normal buyers” was always the rear leg room and boot space. Not too surprising that BMW have decided the way to fix this issue and save money is by sharing platforms with a FWD car in their lineup.

As for the F40 - like all the new BMWs, it would look ok if it wasn’t for the massive kidneys.
I don't recall ever seeing a rear seat passenger in a 1 series.

The kidneys are apparently big because that appeals to the Chinese. I hadn't noticed that chinese people have big nostrils but BMW have.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

F for Falsche Radantrieb, G for Guter Radantrieb.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 am F for Falsche Radantrieb, G for Guter Radantrieb.
😂👍🏻
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Very good Dave :D - unemployment suits you!!
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

JLv3.0 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:41 am Very good Dave :D - unemployment suits you!!
It really does. I have a first round telephone interview on Monday and I’m really depressed by the thought of it :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'm in no great rush to get anything sorted. If the next gig happens in the near future then fine but I'd like another month of lazing and watching the nipper grow up before summer really hits here and they both head away until it cools down.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I’m kind of torn. On the one hand, I want a decent chunk of time off (maybe 10 years or so), on the other I like not being homeless.

I don’t *need* a job until next year, but I don’t really want to burn through all my savings, either.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

NotoriousREV wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:40 am

I’ve had a play with a neighbour and his M240i and there’s zero practical difference between his car and my Golf R at any point in acceleration, at least up to the only-slightly-illegal speeds we’ve done on the road. The 4wd Golf is faster out of roundabouts due to me being able to get on the power sooner.

The BMW may have 100Nm more torque, but it’s also 130kg heavier.
That's interesting and like you say one cancels out the others in the real world. They only play I've had with VAG stuff was an S3 from 60 to very naughty and mine had the legs on it as the speeds increased.

Also had some fun with a Jag F type R the other day in a similar situation and it sounded fabulous as it pulled away from me 😂
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Jobbo wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:20 am How is this the F40 when BMW moved to G-designations for the latest models? Has it been sitting on BMW's shelf for a while or are they using G prefixes for rwd and F for fwd?

Like a G6?