Mileage

IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Mileage

Post by IanF »

Looking to buy my son a car and it’s raised some interesting questions about how many miles is okay. We’ve found a VW that has done 90000 miles in 6 years by one owner and full VW service history that my son likes.

My wife and son thought it was too high a mileage, which I disagree with as I tried to explain continuous mileage per annum is best for reliability and a serviced (relatively) modern car will be fine; but it came apparent that the issue is we’ve never had a car with over 40000 miles, (obviously it’s going to be my fault if anything ever goes wrong! 🙄 ) ..

What’s your highest mileage car, and more importantly, do you all agree with me!? This will be helpful if anything does go wrong in the future. 😁
Cheers,

Ian
mik

Re: Mileage

Post by mik »

Buy on condition. Cars do not blow up at 100k miles.

15k miles PA with a full service history isn't stratospheric,.

Be aware of mileage from a resale perspective mainly - your missus and son reflect Joe Public's sensitivity to it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

What Mik said. Never owned a car with less than 50k on it and they've never really given us grief beyond the expected.

Both my dad's old Mercs were fine with regular maintenance at over 250k miles.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've had several cars with over 200k. My T4 was just over 250k when I sold it. They've all been old-ish cars to be fair, and have had old car problems like rust, but mileage in itself hasn't been a problem.

90k on a modern VW is fine. If he likes it, that's the important thing.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

My highest mileage purchase was a 189k mile E34 525i Touring. It was the nicest E34 to drive of any I owned; I only bought it to get the 17” style 5 wheels off it but I had serious thoughts about keeping it.

Bought and kept a 140k mile 530i Touring, a 126k mile 540i Touring, a 136k mile 545i Touring - all of which I trusted to take me long distances on holiday and were fine. My 120k mile Boxster broke down on an Evo meet; bet it wouldn’t have if I’d used it more regularly and realised the alternator was going sooner.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

IanF wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 am What’s your highest mileage car, and more importantly, do you all agree with me!?
Land Cruiser - 305k kms.
Audi - 222k kms.

Both running like Swiss clocks.

Tell your Mrs to get back in the kitchen, and make you a sandwich. This is man stuff :D
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I bought the Saab at 140k and it died at 175k.

Conversely, I bought the both the 155 and 166 at 80k and they both died at 120k.

Kathryn bought her E36 poverty spec 316i at 203k and she crashed it at 206k.

Basically, don't buy an Alfa.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
scotta

Post by scotta »

My Cavalier had 150k ish on it. A4 had around 140k on it. I had an old mondeo that had done over 100k When i traded the Golf R in it had about 65k on it.

Dad used to change his taxis at 2 years old - they usually had around 250k on them.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Although, on the other hand, the couple of newer/low mileage cars we've had, it's nice having something that feels & smells new.

So I guess from a reliability pov mileage doesn't matter, but from an ownership pov it might do.

(and if it's his first car he'll probably crash it, so don't spend too much on it...)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The 2 cheapest cars I've ran (Porsche 968 and Mercedes S202) were both bought with over 100k miles on the clock.

I'd much prefer a well cared for high miler than an average mile car on linglongs with the bare minimum of maintenance carried out.

It's a good haggling point as well 😀
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

90k isn’t a big deal - presumably the car is newer than the lower mileage alternatives?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

IanF wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 am Looking to buy my son a car and it’s raised some interesting questions about how many miles is okay. We’ve found a VW that has done 90000 miles in 6 years by one owner and full VW service history that my son likes.

My wife and son thought it was too high a mileage, which I disagree with as I tried to explain continuous mileage per annum is best for reliability and a serviced (relatively) modern car will be fine; but it came apparent that the issue is we’ve never had a car with over 40000 miles, (obviously it’s going to be my fault if anything ever goes wrong! 🙄 ) ..

What’s your highest mileage car, and more importantly, do you all agree with me!? This will be helpful if anything does go wrong in the future. 😁
What is it ?

Avoid anything TSI
Real-life Females
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

E39 ticked over 230,000miles last week. It'll need a new clutch at some point but I was saying that the day I bought it four years ago with 180k on the clock.

90k is just nicely run in frankly :D
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

My 850 T5 had 180k on it when I bought it & it was excellent. Felt like it had 50k on it. My Alhambra has 155k on it now & still drives great - far better than the S-Max we test drove last month that had 70k on it, so yeah, buy on condition & how it drives over the milage.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:48 am I've had several cars with over 200k. My T4 was just over 250k when I sold it. They've all been old-ish cars to be fair, and have had old car problems like rust, but mileage in itself hasn't been a problem.

I'd disagree with that. The wiring is shit and breaks apart at the connectors due to fatigue causing all sorts of issues (including starter motor and cooling fan issues with the knock ons from that). This I have experienced on VAG cars of the Polo ilk and according to the AA guy who diagnosed and fixed the problem (he walked up told me the problem before even opening the bonnet) pretty common on VAG's approaching 100k. I had fixed the broken wiring on my radiator fans 6 months earlier when I replaced the leaking radiator. I had discovered the fans were inoperable when I bled it out and knew exactly what he was talking about with the broken wiring.
The reason is that the newer VAG cars use fewer strands of thicker copper in the cable which can carry the current but are less flexible than many strands of finer wire that was used on older cars. This is fine for the first 90k but after that the repeated movement of the engine starts to break the cables where they enter connectors. It's also a pretty expensive thing to diagnose and fix. All down to cost cutting in the name of profits.
I'd avoid it personally and get something else with 90k or a much lower mileage VAG.
I should add the engine was fine it was just shit build of everything that surrounded it.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

drcarlos wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:38 am
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:48 am I've had several cars with over 200k. My T4 was just over 250k when I sold it. They've all been old-ish cars to be fair, and have had old car problems like rust, but mileage in itself hasn't been a problem.

I'd disagree with that as every car I've bought seems to be knackered.
Your ability to buy broken cars is legendary is these circles 😀
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Carlos wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:50 am
drcarlos wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:38 am

I'd disagree with that as every car I've bought seems to be knackered.
Your ability to buy broken cars is legendary is these circles 😀
beat me to it! 😀
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

And me :lol:
scotta

Post by scotta »

Nathan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:23 am
IanF wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 am Looking to buy my son a car and it’s raised some interesting questions about how many miles is okay. We’ve found a VW that has done 90000 miles in 6 years by one owner and full VW service history that my son likes.

What is it ?

Avoid anything TSI
Lol. Ive had 7 TSI cars and the only engine problem ive had were coilpacks that were replaced under extended warranty.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

scotta wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am
Nathan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:23 am

What is it ?

Avoid anything TSI
Lol. Ive had 7 TSI cars and the only engine problem ive had were coilpacks that were replaced under extended warranty.
Did you buy them at 90k ?
Real-life Females