Yet Another New Car (Well on order)

Jezh

Yet Another New Car (Well on order)

Post by Jezh »

On a half term break to Dorset earlier this year it became obvious that the M135i wasn't all that practical for carrying the OH, one child out of the two available, the dog, me and all our kit. Even with a large roof box I struggled to get everything in.

So the decision was made. OH will sell her Abarth and pay off the remaining finance on the BMW as she loves driving it and that will become her daily / dog taxi, I will get a more practical motor.

Personally, I am not a fan of big cars (Hence 1 series and Abarth) so the usual suspects under consideration were moving up to estate versions of a 340i, C43, Golf R, Seat Cupra. I even tried a Skoda Superb 272 Sportline Plus which whilst very spacious was anything but sporty. The BM & Merc were familiar territory nice 6 cylinder engines and plenty of the oomph I was used to. The VAG offerings were quick and capable but fuck me were they dull as ditchwater to be in. It was the same story with the Stelvio I tried. Basically, I was finding it hard to give up my 6 cylinder addiction so it was a choice between the BMW and Merc.

Well it was until I started getting quotes back from dealers with the spec I wanted. Even with apparently massive 'discounts' they were a serious chunk more per month than I thought was reasonable for what was on offer. They also wanted fairly hefty money up front. Back to the drawing board.

What I have ended up with has a V6, twin turbos, is correct wheel drive and isn't German but has a whiff of their input, 0-60 in a smidge over 4.5 seconds and near on 170mph flat out. Got every conceivable gizmo as standard the only thing I had to decide on was the interior and exterior colours.

The sales experience was also an absolute pleasure no bollocks and bullshit like most of the German brands. Fully maintained incl tyres and road tax very little up front compared to what others wanted and the same money per month as the 1'er. The way it goes and handles put an instant smile on my face like nothing any other car I tried did.

TL/DR I've bought a Kia!!!!
Your opinion is very important for me. Thank you please.
Mito Man

Re: Yet Another New Car (Well on order)

Post by Mito Man »

Forgot the Stinger existed, you must be one of the first people to buy one! Nice looking car.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

Mito Man wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:52 am Forgot the Stinger existed, you must be one of the first people to buy one! Nice looking car.
Lol, think I have seen two in the wild since they were launched. They certainly have presence but part of me likes the fact it will be reasonably unique. This is especially so in the colour combo I've ordered most seem to be in red, white or black meaning mine is a factory order with delivery September which also means potential comedy '69' plate :lol:
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

8-) nice cars. I used to see one around that I assume was the Kia dealer's demo car, in the primer grey.

Ember Orange then?
mik

Post by mik »

Very good - I do like a left field choice.

Haven’t read much about them though tbh.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

8-) Will your dog go in the boot then? One more for a future shortlist. I wonder if you could fit a towbar - ah, Parkers say yes https://www.parkers.co.uk/kia/stinger/r ... equipment/
Left over crest; tightens.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Good choice. It was on our list to look at but the wife fell for the Superb so we didn't bother.

I can confirm that the Superb is not that sporty in the handling dept. Quickish tho.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

What German input did the key Ass Stinger get?

Nice to see a different car on here though!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Designed by a German in Kia's European Design Studio in Frankfurt. Engineering lead is ex-BMW M division.
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

simon_g wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:34 pm Designed by a German in Kia's European Design Studio in Frankfurt. Engineering lead is ex-BMW M division.
Peter Schreyer & Albert Biermann
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I spotted one of these on the road recently - much better looking in the flesh than the photos show.

Are they offering a 2.0 4-cyl variant now too?
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

Jobbo wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:51 pm I spotted one of these on the road recently - much better looking in the flesh than the photos show.

Are they offering a 2.0 4-cyl variant now too?
Yes, 255BHP & a diesel which is to be avoided apparently 197BHP
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

This is what it will look like, Panthera Metal & Red Nappa

mik

Post by mik »

That looks almost as long as a Stagea!
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Very nice!

Not seen one before; car looks huge!
Jezh

Post by Jezh »

JonMad wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:23 pm 8-) Will your dog go in the boot then? One more for a future shortlist. I wonder if you could fit a towbar - ah, Parkers say yes https://www.parkers.co.uk/kia/stinger/r ... equipment/
Yes he should fit!!! Also it will encourage him to lie down hopefully as he spends most of his time standing in the boot of the 1 series which means he gets flung all over the place. He is a bit thick though :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Saw more of these in Berlin in 2 days than I have in the UK since launch.

Very long. Nice
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

That looks nice, I saw a black one the other day and it looked great.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Doesn't look that roomy actually. Not a huge amount of rear legroom in that pic given the front seat doesn't look too far back

ETA: On reflection is does look like the seat's a long way back.

Love that colour. I think I'd have been ordering one of these myself if the wife hadn't opted for the practical car this time.
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Fri May 10, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I fear my wife would be put off by the low down looks and reported poor rear visibility (despite all the cameras etc.).

Let's hope they put that engine in an SUV :)
Left over crest; tightens.