Fake exhaust pipes

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Fake exhaust pipes

Post by Rich B »

I know Golf Rs have fake pipes, but i was behind a new 340i today and one pipe clearly had daylight inside it. Surely they don’t have a fakey Jakey exhaust pipe?!!

Or is it not a 340?
Beany

Re: Fake exhaust pipes

Post by Beany »

Not being a 340 is possible, but are you sure it was an empty pipe, and you weren't seeing the reflection from a noise flap thing? (like wot is stuck on my car)

(edit: DVLA says

RF68MTX
BMW 340I M SPORT SHADOW EDITION A

So definitely a 340i)
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Dunno, as you can can see, one pipe was sooty, the other is shiny and new inside - like the Golf R ones. Yep, definitely a 340!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Rich B wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:29 pm I know Golf Rs have fake pipes, but i was behind a new 340i today and one pipe clearly had daylight inside it. Surely they don’t have a fakey Jakey exhaust pipe?!!

Or is it not a 340?
My Golf R had real pipes of correctness
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve noticed this on a lot of BMWs especially the ones with 2 pipes coming out of one side - it’s really obvious on X3s. One really odd thing is they have a valve in one of the pipes which opens and closes are really random times - it’s not for noise as I’ve seen it open and close whilst waiting at a red light. I’m curious if it’s for emissions or back pressure reasons?
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

M140i has a valve in one side and not the other which may make the different sides soot up and appear different ?
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Carlos wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm M140i has a valve in one side and not the other which may make the different sides soot up and appear different ?
M135i was the same, it would start up on one pipe then the other would open after a given time, could explain the extra soot on one side.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

More like an owner who potters about in eco mode and never lets the flap open up.
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 pm More like an owner who potters about in eco mode and never lets the flap open up.
Pretty much my thoughts.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 pm never lets the flap open up.
Had a girlfriend like that
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:46 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 pm never lets the flap open up.
Had a girlfriend like that
the other pipe was well used and filthy though?
scotta

Post by scotta »

Golf R’s don’t have fake pipes. When you put them in race mode the valve opens and all 4 work.

When the engine stops they close. When you start the car the next time you have to reactivate race mode to reopen them - even though it still says race on the dash.
ste

Post by ste »

It's standard unfortunately and part of the things they had to change to meet WLTP emissions bullshit. The 340i was given a particulate filter and a daft valve in the nearside exhaust tailpipe that opens and closes seemingly at random. They're both proper exhausts and under load they both open up properly.

I followed my mate home when he bought his 340i and couldn't believe the random opening and closing. He's since coded it out.
tim

Post by tim »

My M140i has this PPF bullshit too. It’s why it’s less parpy than the old ones, and the M Performance exhaust can’t be fitted either.
Simon

Post by Simon »

GPF :)

I think they adopted the Americanism worldwide.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I thought this was going to be about properly fake pipes. The new Audi A6 is a particular culprit; have a look at Mat Watson’s video on it. Fucking terrible.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:25 pm I thought this was going to be about properly fake pipes. The new Audi A6 is a particular culprit; have a look at Mat Watson’s video on it. Fucking terrible.
Christ. Just watched it. That's terrible. Why bother?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

ste wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:23 pm It's standard unfortunately and part of the things they had to change to meet WLTP emissions bullshit. The 340i was given a particulate filter and a daft valve in the nearside exhaust tailpipe that opens and closes seemingly at random. They're both proper exhausts and under load they both open up properly.

I followed my mate home when he bought his 340i and couldn't believe the random opening and closing. He's since coded it out.
The PPF is a wtlp thing but the valve has always been there for the x35i and x40i as far as I am aware. It's a noise thing. Car starts noisy then quietens after a few seconds as the car is in comfort mode. Put it in sport and it's a little louder. A lot of people just unplug the actuator on the valve on start up. On the M140i the valve is tucked out of the way where as it is more visible on the 340i.

My PPF car certainly pops plenty enough especially when dynamic stability is activated.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The valve opens and closes randomly when crawling through traffic from what I’ve seen, of course it opens fully under harder acceleration to also give more noise but it is definitely being used for emissions purposes too as every dual exhaust BMW seems to have it now regardless of being a sporty model or not.
How about not having a sig at all?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:52 pm The valve opens and closes randomly when crawling through traffic from what I’ve seen, of course it opens fully under harder acceleration to also give more noise but it is definitely being used for emissions purposes too as every dual exhaust BMW seems to have it now regardless of being a sporty model or not.
How can it be anything to do with emissions? All the valve is doing is altering the route the gasses take as they have already been through the cat and PPF.