New car (Disco replacement)

Nefarious

New car (Disco replacement)

Post by Nefarious »

In a somewhat out-of-character move, I've decided to replace the Disco (and possibly the Jag) with something a bit "nicer" (i.e. something that the family won't object to going in, can tow the various toys without threatening to break down, and, well, is just a nicer place to be for long shleps up and down to country with a heavy box on the back).

Not playing the guessing game today, so here is is (ML 350 Sport):

It is by far the most expensive "ordinary" car I've ever bought, but it's come to me via a friend's dad, and was just a bit too good to pass up. Only 45k on it, and ALL the toys (car was originally a gift from MB to a particularly good commercial vehicle customer). Proper report when I collect it next week.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
Foz

Re: New car (Disco replacement)

Post by Foz »

Good stuff, petrol or diesel?

Our ML350cdi has been a great family hack for the past 9 years, still struggling to replace it!
Last edited by Foz on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Good looking car - they have aged particularly well in my eyes.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Rich B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 am Good looking car - they have aged particularly well in my eyes.
agreed, still think they look better than the successor!

A joy to tow with as well Nef!
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Foz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:20 am agreed, still think they look better than the successor!
This. Never looked the rear lights on the successor.

Good buy!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Excellent. My wife keeps talking about caravans so that'd be an excuse to get something like this at some point. At least, something bigger than a 1.2 Yeti.
Left over crest; tightens.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

Foz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:15 am Good stuff, petrol or diesel?
Derv. The number of towing miles I seem to be doing now makes any sufficiently-sized petrol engine ridiculously thirsty (e.g. Jag at <6mpg)
Foz

Post by Foz »

Nefarious wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 am
Foz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:15 am Good stuff, petrol or diesel?
Derv. The number of towing miles I seem to be doing now makes any sufficiently-sized petrol engine ridiculously thirsty (e.g. Jag at <6mpg)
Good stuff! can't praise ours highly enough, only issue was a faulty wheel speed sensor which causes havoc with the ABS and ESP. capable of 30mpg towing a light car with an open trailer and high 20's with an RS3 shuttle
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Also, how good a customer do you have to be for Merc to gift you a £50k+ car?
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I like that. Never really understood what Sport spec meant on them; it only seemed to mean a different design of alloys, but still a great choice.

My C350 CDI was a 60 plate too. First time it does a DPF regeneration you'll wonder what its doing :lol:
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:51 am Also, how good a customer do you have to be for Merc to gift you a £50k+ car?
He runs a fairly large haulage business, so a couple of dozen hgv wagons and twice as many assorted other commercials per year, I'd guess
mik

Post by mik »

Looks good. 8-)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Nefarious wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:06 am
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:51 am Also, how good a customer do you have to be for Merc to gift you a £50k+ car?
He runs a fairly large haulage business, so a couple of dozen hgv wagons and twice as many assorted other commercials per year, I'd guess
Fair enough.
---
Richard

Post by Richard »

ML’s always remind me of Jurassic Park
mik

Post by mik »

Richard wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:16 pm ML’s always remind me of Jurassic Park
Your Engineers were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should. :?:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The episode "Death by Disco" has sent you over the edge :lol:
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Funnily enough, I've just got back from viewing an R350 which I believe is based on the ML(?)

Lovely car, but undecided whether to go for it now, or run the Alhambra until it dies & get something a bit newer later.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Absolutely love ours, it really does do the job well and doesn’t feel big at all. After doing the plug change we did 1000 miles from Market Deeping, Devon, Cornwall, Portsmouth, Market Deeping and averaged 23.6mpg in ours. Pretty good nearly fully loaded and a sensible 75mph cruise. I always forget how hilly Devon is aswell.

I’ve no idea on other models but the 500 sport had Air Suspension, which I think is a must on these, bigger brakes (I think the discs are just thicker, 350mm diameter. A subtle bodykit and that’s about it apart from black trim and sports seats.

Ours has the official tow pack so a few modifications, the stability control changes when towing aswell. Power wise it’s great, the gearbox works well when towing too so it holds onto gears longer and isn’t constantly shuffling into the highest gear. I do prefer the Defender to townwith though.

We’ve done 55,000 miles in ours now and am very pleased with it. We stumbled a bit and nearly bought a GL but the diesels don’t do it for me so we are getting a tow all mounted carrier instead when we need even more space.

With 255 tyres all round ours is very reluctant to understeer aswell which is nice.

Plus Harmon Karon is lovely as they are very quiet when cruising along, much more than it’s competitors I found.

Enjoy, really lovely place to be.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Gwaredd wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:59 pm Funnily enough, I've just got back from viewing an R350 which I believe is based on the ML(?)

Lovely car, but undecided whether to go for it now, or run the Alhambra until it dies & get something a bit newer later.
I really wanted an R500 but after a good sell my wife saw one and instantly said no :lol:

Dave!
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

I've found a 2006 R500 with 52k on the clock in Hatfield for £6k. Heart says go for it, wife says no! :lol:
Cheers.

Gwaredd