Those perfect motoring moments...

DaveE

Those perfect motoring moments...

Post by DaveE »

When a number of otherwise fairly ordinary moments come together to provide pleasure...

Late on Sunday afternoon, I (finally) got to take my Mum's Z4 out for a drive.

It's nothing special, a 2011, "wrong" straight six version (the 25, not the 30), manuel.

I've not driven a manual for ages either.

But as we cruised the warm Sussex lanes as the sun began to fade, hearing that lovely straight six as I let it rev out, and blipped every downchange while feeling the wind, in the warmth of early evening was truly special.

We didn't really drive far, and we didn't really go very fast, but it was so pleasurable.

Apparently my Mum "Didn't know it made that noise" :)

I think that from 5-6k, in second was the sweet spot, noise-wise.
Beany

Re: Those perfect motoring moments...

Post by Beany »

Not really had one in the BMW yet, although I did have a nice run through town with the roof dropped, sun going down, not too cool, not too hot, full throttle blips to get it to properly rrrrrip on downshifts (it's slow to rev, full throttle helps ;) ) which was nice.

Best one was the Puma, north york moors, car freshly polished, proper hammering it through the earlier parts of the road, then slowing down, letting it pop and crackle on a trailing throttle with the sun over my shoulder shining over the rear arches was pretty special....then I opened it up again and gave it hell.

A nice interlude in a fun run.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Kotumba to Maitland in New South Wales in a Ford Falcon 4.0 Straight 6, racing the Darkness...

We'd been "Reliably informed" (or spun a yarn by the locals as we were POMS :lol: ) that we had to be off the road by dark as the Kangaroos sleep on the tarmac as it's warm from the day. It's the only time my other half EVER encouraged me to push on as a little bit of speeding on a quiet, wide road was the lesser of two evils. It was proper "racing" for a good 90 minutes. Radio off, no conversation between us, concentrating to avoid sandy bits on the road, driving as fast as I dared...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

DaveE wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am When a number of otherwise fairly ordinary moments come together to provide pleasure...

Late on Sunday afternoon, I (finally) got to take my Mum's Z4 out for a drive.

It's nothing special, a 2011, "wrong" straight six version (the 25, not the 30), manuel.

I've not driven a manual for ages either.

But as we cruised the warm Sussex lanes as the sun began to fade, hearing that lovely straight six as I let it rev out, and blipped every downchange while feeling the wind, in the warmth of early evening was truly special.

We didn't really drive far, and we didn't really go very fast, but it was so pleasurable.

Apparently my Mum "Didn't know it made that noise" :)

I think that from 5-6k, in second was the sweet spot, noise-wise.

I've got that engine too Dave, only mine is in a 3-series hatch. It is quite a 'zingy' noise in the hatch, doesn't have any drive-by exhaust flappery like the 330i I had did.
Somehow sounds a bit racier than the 328/330 I had. The 330 had a 'bassier' deeper sound, more of a boom.
I've done a lot of late-night driving the last week as my Mum is in hospital and it's been a nice 'unwind' to rev it out in the gears between the Iocal bypass islands with the windows and sunroof open.
Made a contrast to the Sierra which I've also used a bit for the same journey, so much faster and edgier, different soundtrack but still good to listen too, you get a 'whump' from the exhaust on fast full throttle changes as I presume a bit of fuel ignites in the exhaust as you back off to change gear, plus the noise of the turbo compressor blades chopping the air. You feel like you're 'on it' although as Baz L would say ...you're only racing yourself.

Weather has been a bit surreal, almost like living abroad with the sunsets and lack of rain, a late evening blast re-ignites the fun I've had with cars and driving
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

DaveE wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am Apparently my Mum "Didn't know it made that noise" :)
Reminds me of this:

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

dinny_g wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 pm Kotumba to Maitland in New South Wales in a Ford Falcon 4.0 Straight 6, racing the Darkness...

:P

My Dad had one of those Falcons - we all closed our eyes and braced when a big roo cleared the road and bonnet in one bound as we skirted the Tidbinbilla Reserve, doing about 75/80 mph
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I had some moments over the weekend, alas undone by a couple of others, one in particular :cry: