How often do you use your AC?

Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

How often do you use your AC?

Post by Matty »

I've never been fussed about AC, the only reason I chased it in older cars was because of resale - so I've always turned it on and off as required. I left it on always on the VXR8 and SLK, because it made fuck all difference to the MPG, but on the Bora, and smaller engined stuff, it seemed to make a big difference. Flip side is, it appears rarely using the AC can knacker the unit (self lubricating?) and it's never cheap to fix.

So leave it on all the time, to hell with the environment, or use it as-and-when?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: How often do you use your AC?

Post by Rich B »

Leave it on the whole time - it stops the windows misting up. The worst car I had for it was the CTR which was unusable without AC due to misting (I think the windscreen shape wasn’t we’ll suited to clearing itself naturally.)
mik

Post by mik »

If a car has climate control I just leave it to do it’s thing (so AC on as it decides). In winter it really helps keep the moisture levels down.

In saying that - I prefer to have the window cracked down so I can hear the exhaust on “driving cars” and I always switch off the AC when a window is down.

Consciously “exercise” the system every month(ish) for about 20mins though.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The lesson here is not to have cars with small engines where the a/c makes a difference to the mpg, and then leave it on all the time :D

That said the Audi turns off the a/c if you're really giving the engine a workout. Every little helps I guess.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Thought you had a Cobra initially. :oops:

In answer to your question I tend to run it now and then (fortnightly?) over winter, and quite often in summer. The last time I ran it was today!
tim

Post by tim »

What kind of pikey turns off A/C to save fuel?! JFC.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Set desired temperature on dial. Leave on auto mode. What else is there to think about?
Middle-aged Dirtbag
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

The Emm Pee Gees man, god!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Leave it on all the time, having had my AC go last year I now know it’s even more essential on a wet winters day than summer.
How about not having a sig at all?
Matty

Post by Matty »

NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 pm Set desired temperature on dial. Leave on auto mode. What else is there to think about?
As long as it's a whole number, not a 0.5deg adjustment.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Matty wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:48 pm Flip side is, it appears rarely using the AC can knacker the unit (self lubricating?) and it's never cheap to fix.

So leave it on all the time, to hell with the environment, or use it as-and-when?
Not running the AC means any condensation in there doesn't go through the receiver/dryer thingy. So if you don't run the AC you run the risk of rusting the pipes from the inside out.

At that stage, you've got to start replacing increasingly expensive components - certainly more expensive than any extra fuel usage caused by having it on. By a wiiiide margin.

I just leave the AC on permanently - the climate control does a decent job of handling it.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Matty wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:02 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 pm Set desired temperature on dial. Leave on auto mode. What else is there to think about?
Whole, even number, or divisible by 5.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Marv

Post by Marv »

Beany wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Matty wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:48 pm Flip side is, it appears rarely using the AC can knacker the unit (self lubricating?) and it's never cheap to fix.

Not running the AC means any condensation in there doesn't go through the receiver/dryer thingy. So if you don't run the AC you run the risk of rusting the pipes from the inside out.

At that stage, you've got to start replacing increasingly expensive components - certainly more expensive than any extra fuel usage caused by having it on. By a wiiiide margin.

I just leave the AC on permanently - the climate control does a decent job of handling it.
I've owned my Golf 17 years and my 968 15 years and haven't had any problems with any pipes corroding, sounds like a non-problem to me.

Just use your air-conditioning as you see fit - there is no right or wrong way (I know, I'm posting that on the internet, of all places)
Oui, je suis un motard.
dan

Post by dan »

This ffs.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought there’s oil inside the AC system to stop the pipes corroding?
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Only when the temperature inside is warmer than I want it to be and the air outside is too warm to cool it down. Most of the time I'd rather just crack the drivers window down an inch or two.

Don't tend to use it at all in winter, but most of my journeys are long enough for things to get warmed up properly, and at decent speed so there's plenty of airflow. Never had an issue with excess condensation.

It is one of those modern conveniences I used to think was a bit pointless in the uk, but now I'm getting old and grumpy I wouldn't consider a daily driver without it.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Mito Man wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:48 pm I thought there’s oil inside the AC system to stop the pipes corroding?
There is, plus most ac pipes are alloy.
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

Matty wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:02 pm
Leave it!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I prefer to use the Sunroof rather than the A/C if possible, today and tomorrow however the A/C shall be in use!
24 degrees!
Matty

Post by Matty »

For the sake of clarity, this was more about maintenance and keeping it working, rather than MPG. Plus, not all of us have the gadgets required to have "Auto". Some of us have manual cars, for manual people.