The what car thread

sec

Re: The what car thread

Post by sec »

Rich B wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:48 pm
surely you’d want a T8 for that sort of money?
Yep, after a bit of haggling: https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds ... ic/9268309
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Nathan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:34 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:45 pm
Ooooooh that’s very tempting and has a spec we’d go for 8-) Straight to the consider seriously list.
Really ? IIRC you're in your 20s
Only just. I have the Mustang for enjoyment.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Why do you want a big family car - do you have 3 kids or something?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

We looked very seriously at the volvos. Eventually concluded that you're paying a lot of money just for a very nice place to sit. The engine choice is a bit shit and they cost an absolute fortune. And the T8 sounds more amazing than the reality I suspect - you get naff all electric range and then you're just lugging a load of weight around and getting woeful economy.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I think PreacherCain has a T8 that he talks well of. I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:59 pm Why do you want a big family car - do you have 3 kids or something?
You're just not on board with any aspect of this purchase, are you 😂
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

JLv3.0 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:15 am
Rich B wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:59 pm Why do you want a big family car - do you have 3 kids or something?
😂 well you have to admit, for a man in his 20s to ditch his Focus ST for a Volvo XC90 because his knee hurts is pretty bizarre!*

*unless there is more to the story and there’s kids etc or an actual need for a 7 seat diesel family hauler.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I don't really get any of it really. Seems like a lot of money to spend on a car without having a car in mind first, but hey - diff'rent strokes and all that.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:26 pm I think PreacherCain has a T8 that he talks well of. I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.
We didn't dismiss it so quickly. It was top of the list for a couple of months and were even set to test drive one. It will depend on how you use it (obvs) but for us it made zero sense. On a long trip (which we do regularly) the economy is horrendous for none of the performance benefits.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 am
😂 well you have to admit, for a man in his 20s to ditch his Focus ST for a Volvo XC90 because his knee hurts is pretty bizarre!*

*unless there is more to the story and there’s kids etc or an actual need for a 7 seat diesel family hauler.
I’m 30 in about two months, kill me now etc ;)

Knee is fucking fucked, needs a replacement but far too young because replacement knees just don’t last that long and you can’t keep replacing them. Driven the manual Focus ST about 6 times since buying it because it’s absolute agony even on the 12 mile journey down the motorway to work. No point in paying for a car you can’t use.

As I’m planning ahead I want something which can do the family thing too, I don’t fancy changing the car again in the next year or so just because kids rock up and we’ve bought an auto MX5 or something.

So, after looking at the Volvos and the massive family discount on the F-Pace, plus a test drive which made my ST look like the dullard it really is, we’ve gone for an F-Pace. The V8 Mustang stays.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:02 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 am

I’m 30 in about two months, kill me now etc ;)

Knee is fucking fucked, needs a replacement but far too young because replacement knees just don’t last that long and you can’t keep replacing them. Driven the manual Focus ST about 6 times since buying it because it’s absolute agony even on the 12 mile journey down the motorway to work. No point in paying for a car you can’t use.

As I’m planning ahead I want something which can do the family thing too, I don’t fancy changing the car again in the next year or so just because kids rock up and we’ve bought an auto MX5 or something.

So, after looking at the Volvos and the massive family discount on the F-Pace, plus a test drive which made my ST look like the dullard it really is, we’ve gone for an F-Pace. The V8 Mustang stays.
This is not how kids "happen" :D

New Volvos do seem to spend a lot of time in the dealer, certainly to judge from the Volvo FB groups. I say this knowing most people don't post to say how well their car is running.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Stop it ;)

Yes, I’m well aware that if you look at any car you’ll find a group of people complaining how theirs is sat in the dealer. No car escapes!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Gavin wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:30 am New Volvos do seem to spend a lot of time in the dealer, certainly to judge from the Volvo FB groups. I say this knowing most people don't post to say how well their car is running.
Mine's been fine. I know Preacher had to have a software update to solve some issues with his T8, and mine being a T6 only shares the engine not the electric motor-y bits, but most of the complaints I've seen have been people talking about the software being updated at a dealer.

I'm not going to keep mine at the end of the lease (I'd have kept the Allroad, miss that car) but it's not due to reliability concerns.

Which engine have you gone for in the F-Pace, Tango? Would you also have got a F&F discount on a Velar, because that's a very obvious alternative.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I definitely remember preacher describing his as being like a beta version at first with loads of bugs, but think that was solved after various software updates.
Cheers, Harry