Five years of CSL ownership.

Beany

Re: Five years of CSL ownership.

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 am
GG. wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:18 am
Richard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:40 am

Yeah, I think they’ve turned the corner now. There was a stage where they were a bit “council estate”

Now though, mostly just well meaning enthusiasts
Have you taken into consideration that Beany owns one?
no he doesn’t.
Indeed I do not own an M3.

I am generally a fan of the E46s styling, and always have been. It's a very nicely visually weighted car in all it's forms - saloon, wagon, ragtop (roof up or down), coupe, and god even hatch - which is a rare thing. No over-stressed detailing, etc. Just a handsome car. The E9x series are just horrible and bloated in comparison, particularly at the rear. I'm sure they're lovely to drive, faster and more efficient, but jesus christ, looking out of the window and seeing this outside...

Eeew. Who melted it, then tried to fix it with a butter knife? Why did they leave the rear end so bloated? Why does it constantly look like it's about to cough up a furball? Why is the swage line curved down towards the rear making it look like a fat old toad?

Eeew.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Oh, and it's good to know I'm not the only person who thinks the M2 looks....confused, at best.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Beany wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:09 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 am
GG. wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:18 am

Have you taken into consideration that Beany owns one?
no he doesn’t.
Indeed I do not own an M3.

I am generally a fan of the E46s styling, and always have been. It's a very nicely visually weighted car in all it's forms - saloon, wagon, ragtop (roof up or down), coupe, and god even hatch - which is a rare thing. No over-stressed detailing, etc. Just a handsome car. The E9x series are just horrible and bloated in comparison, particularly at the rear. I'm sure they're lovely to drive, faster and more efficient, but jesus christ, looking out of the window and seeing this outside...

Eeew. Who melted it, then tried to fix it with a butter knife? Why did they leave the rear end so bloated? Why does it constantly look like it's about to cough up a furball? Why is the swage line curved down towards the rear making it look like a fat old toad?

Eeew.
all normal SE spec BMWs look shit. This is a thread for M3s!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah...it's still got a fat arse.

Sorry.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

My eyes are dry...
Beany

Post by Beany »

Quite right too :lol: 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Beany doesn’t like it thiccc.
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Looks perfect to me

This has got me looking at E92 M3s again...
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Marv wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:21 pm Yep, I've now owned the speed-holed one for five years.

5 years - Good going Marv - a 1400kg six pot E46 with quick steering and a rorty factory zorst is a good thing no doubt 8-)

Looks nice - often considered getting a normal manual box M3 or CS but I'm too keen on a turbo 1-coop now. Guy I work with has one and it's a rapid little stumpy thing - a faster modern day Compact looks-wise. The E46 is a nicely proportioned car. Derin's mate had one years ago similar to yours and it was always top fun chasing it through the islands on the local bypass on the way back from the gym.

Do you still prefer your 968 though?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I always found the 1M looks like a cheap body kit. It is like they didn’t lower the car but just added 3 or 4” to the bottom of a regular 1 series bodykit.

I think the M3 V8 saloon is the pick of the affordable bunch for me.

Dave!
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

GG. wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:30 am Alright alright its not an M3.

If E46s are chavvy I'm struggling to see the logic that an E46 M3 could be anything but.

I'm assuming that we're not saying that M3s are less chavvy than a normal E46.[/img]
I missed this one before :lol: - do you have some sort of internal bell that goes off if you're not massively overthinking whilst totally missing the point on a simple topic after a set amount of time? :lol:
Marv

Post by Marv »

Mike1215 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:55 am
As a driver's car, yes. More of a mechanical feel to the controls and due to the lower COG, it feels better balanced and just a tad more engaging.

I prefer the M3 when temps go above 25c though, as it has AC 😆 (I cannot confirm how rusted the pipes are on the inside, however)

How long have you owned the Cossie now, Mike? Must be coming up to 25 years?
Oui, je suis un motard.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Marv wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:23 pm
Matty wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 pm I can't imagine keeping any car for 5 years - there's far too many I want to own. Marv's done pretty well out of it though, I suspect, given the current values ;)
Well, to answer Speedingfines earlier question, is not that long until I've owned the 968 fifteen years!

CSL values have actually softened, but the 968 is rising still. I reckon they're close to being about the same value now.
Left Hooker Club Sports id expect would be rising pretty well due to rarity also.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Marv wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:39 pm
As a driver's car, yes. More of a mechanical feel to the controls and due to the lower COG, it feels better balanced and just a tad more engaging.

I prefer the M3 when temps go above 25c though, as it has AC 😆 (I cannot confirm how rusted the pipes are on the inside, however)

Interesting about the centre of gravity thing, I always felt sat on rather than in our e46, but it's a touring with comfort seats, but then the floor pan and all major mounting points are the same across the range.

Not strictly fair to compare my m3 to our touring, but even the standard se spec compact on comfort seats felt like you were properly sitting in it.

Would be interesting to compare an e46 m3 / csl side by side with my e36 if I ever finish it.

I have wondered if they had a last minute redesign of the seat mounts to try and match the taller feel of all the more upright single box cars being released at a similar time, but was too late to adjust the body shape to suit, but then everyone else seems to love the e46 so wonder if it's just me being a bit odd 😂
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Maybe it’s just my weird anatomy but higher seats are way more comfortable for long distance, I must just find having my knees bent closer to 90 degrees more comfy, so I can see why manufacturers put high seats in. Anything vaguely sporty with low seats kills my legs after 90 mins.
How about not having a sig at all?
Mike1215

Post by Mike1215 »

Marv wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Yes, coming up to 25 years soon Marv - I've enjoyed owning it and it's still an event to get it out the garage and take it for a drive, whether it be to work or into Wales.

I understand what you mean about your 968 - the Sierra seems very low to sit in compared to my E46 - pull up next to a new 3-series in the Sierra and it's like you're looking up at a people carrier height-wise. Even a newish 1-series seems a lot bigger car ( although a lot less roomy on the inside )