IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

S6/S7 to be diseasel

Post by IanF »

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... -v6-diesel

Interesting direction change from Audi. Guess they’re trying to differentiate more between the S and RS. 🤷‍♂️
Cheers,

Ian
Nathan

Re: S6/S7 to be diseasel

Post by Nathan »

'the S6 and S7 promise between 43 and 46mpg'

The 535D from 15 years ago did better than that on a run
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Seems a sensible move, given the popularity of the diesel SQ5 and SQ7, and the fact the petrol SQ5 hasn’t been as popular.

RS for the petrol fans, S to compete with the M50d versions.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Nathan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:23 pm 'the S6 and S7 promise between 43 and 46mpg'

The 535D from 15 years ago did better than that on a run
:roll:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

And you’ll probably have to pay a £25 every time you drive through a city in it in 5 years time negating all those em-pee-gees.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

^ That probably wouldn't worry the first owners, but I wonder how ULEZs will account for the mild hybrids that can do around 31 miles as an ev?
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

I think the problem with the ULE Zone is that they can adjust the parameters as and when they want. (and you can guarantee they’ll change the rules if the revenue earned drops below a certain amount.)
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That’s actually an advantage of having a heavily financially incentivised government body, other cities in Europe are flat out banning older cars whereas here you can just pay your way through it. Gives some hope for older classic cars in the future. The UK may have loads of old cool cars out at the weekends 20 years from now whereas the rest of Europe will be relegated to driving washing machines.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I think the rolling 40 year no mot/ road tax cut off might apply to the ULEZ also. I could be wrong, I can't remember exactly what was said, but both things were mentioned. I'll try and find it again.

Here it is;

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... his-page-4
scotta

Post by scotta »

Could this be a nod to the continent. I read an article last week or so that said to by the new Megane RS in France it comes with an €8000 tax levy based on emissions.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:37 pm Seems a sensible move, given the popularity of the diesel SQ5 and SQ7, and the fact the petrol SQ5 hasn’t been as popular.

RS for the petrol fans, S to compete with the M50d versions.
The S5 was something like £20k cheaper but still made a half-decent noise and went well. I spoke to Audi Oxford about this a few weeks ago, as I'd noticed the 'S' and 'RS' models had effectively disappeared from the website. I'd also forgotten that evo had mentioned this ages ago. Guessed it was WLTP-related and it was, and they told me the S5 would be back later this year but diesel powered. And that petrol would now be limited (in terms of 'sporty' options) to the RS models. But a new S5 Sportback would be something like £50k and doable, whereas the RS models, as new cars anyway, are much more expensive and not doable. So I think it's a shame, even though I understand why they've done it.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Seems a backwards step to me, given the increasing anti-diesel movement :?
Simon

Post by Simon »

It'd made more sense to make them mild or 'strong' hybrids wouldn't it?

We had a family get together at the w/e and I was chatting to my brother's in-laws. He'd bought a 35d X3 just 18 months ago and it was worth £52k (although obviously he didn't pay quite that). Now he's trying to trade it in and his getting bid half of that. Why? "Nobody wants diesels anymore".

When we were in the JLR dealer last year talking to them about XE/XFs they said that most of their enquiries were for the petrol models. Whether that translates into sales, I doubt it, but even so there's been an enormous shift away from diesels and some manufacturers have withdrawn them completely from their fleets, yet here are Audi launching a 'new' sport model that's diesel only. WTF?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I imagine this is due to sales in continental Europe, where diesel still seems far more popular than petrol.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Simon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm It'd made more sense to make them mild or 'strong' hybrids wouldn't it?

We had a family get together at the w/e and I was chatting to my brother's in-laws. He'd bought a 35d X3 just 18 months ago and it was worth £52k (although obviously he didn't pay quite that). Now he's trying to trade it in and his getting bid half of that. Why? "Nobody wants diesels anymore".
You could buy one new sub £40k though at the time.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Carlos wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:57 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:38 pm It'd made more sense to make them mild or 'strong' hybrids wouldn't it?

And it's been replaced by a new X3 since. Standard car dealer talk to explain away the standard heavy depreciation on any new car, and justify their meagre offer.

Since Audi don't seem to be able to build petrol cars which are WLTP compliant, maybe sticking to diesels is a good idea :lol:
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Carlos wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:57 pm

And it's been replaced by a new X3 since. Standard car dealer talk to explain away the standard heavy depreciation on any new car, and justify their meagre offer.

Since Audi don't seem to be able to build petrol cars which are WLTP compliant, maybe sticking to diesels is a good idea :lol:
Yeah, VAG have no issues being compliant with their diesels.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Weirdly, they don't seem to in comparison to their petrol cars though :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

S5 now

Audi has lost it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

"These electrified powertrain components are then connected to a single-turbo 3-litre V6 diesel engine, together producing 344bhp, with a peak torque figure of 516lb ft available between 2500rpm and 3100rpm. Although power is down 10bhp, torque grows by a substantial 147lb ft (around the same as a 2.0 Mazda MX-5, no less) over the old petrol model.

As a result, the new S5 TDI will reach 62mph in 4.8sec (the heavier Sportback manages 4.9sec), only 0.1sec slower than the previous petrol-powered S5. It will then run on to a 155mph limited top speed. These remarkably similar performance figures also come with an estimated 20 per cent reduction in fuel consumption."

Erm - they really haven't.