Which Boxster to get?

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Re: Which Boxster to get?

Post by Sundayjumper »

Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:13 pm Am viewing Tuesday, will let you know how I get on.
How did you get on ?
Beany

Post by Beany »

I will say if you keep looking at Boxsters, make sure the audio system is good enough - the audio on the 330 is weak as fuck without the Harmon Kardon upgrade (better speakers and a sub) and it's the only thing that annoys me about the car. Especially with the roof down, the lack of bass really makes music disappointing.

That said, as a 'pure roadster' design, it might well be the standard audio is good enough - never heard a boggo boxster audio system, might be reet enough.
GG.

Post by GG. »

It isn't. You really need the Bose system on the 987/997 for it to be on nodding terms with good. That said, it shouldn't put you off buying what would otherwise be the right car but I would make sure it has at least the "extended" speaker package rather than basic (most do and that Northway one does). My 997 doesn't have Bose and its one of the things I would like to upgrade. Retrofitting the Bose system would be prohibitive but there are other ways.
Beany

Post by Beany »

GG. wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:34 pm It isn't. You really need the Bose system on the 987/997 for it to be on nodding terms with good. That said, it shouldn't put you off buying what would otherwise be the right car but I would make sure it has at least the "extended" speaker package rather than basic (most do and that Northway one does). My 997 doesn't have Bose and its one of the things I would like to upgrade. Retrofitting the Bose system would be prohibitive but there are other ways.
From the sniffing around I've done, it's much the same for the BMW HK stuff...
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Beany wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 pm I will say if you keep looking at Boxsters, make sure the audio system is good enough - the audio on the 330 is weak as fuck without the Harmon Kardon upgrade (better speakers and a sub) and it's the only thing that annoys me about the car. Especially with the roof down, the lack of bass really makes music disappointing.

That said, as a 'pure roadster' design, it might well be the standard audio is good enough - never heard a boggo boxster audio system, might be reet enough.
To be honest, a 'decent' system will probably be beyond its best by now anyway.

I expect a good set of aftermarket components and amp with a modest sub will blow away most factory fit 'fancy' systems.

In fact, just adding a sub and filtering some of the lower frequencies away from the stock speakers can make a world of difference to even the weakest sound system. At least an e46 ( or boxster ) is a reasonably solid base to start attaching decent speakers.
Cheers, Harry
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:48 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:13 pm Am viewing Tuesday, will let you know how I get on.
How did you get on ?
I was about an hour away when my phone pinged up with a very apologetic email saying they forgot to put a note on that I was coming for a look and one of the other lads sold it! Guess it was not to be. Unfortunately I was on my way back down South from my folks in Yorkshire so couldn’t have got there any earlier. Shows what a nice car it was to get snatched up so quickly.
GG.

Post by GG. »

:(

There will be others as you say (not that I wouldn't have uttered a few choice swear words).
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Beany wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 pm I will say if you keep looking at Boxsters, make sure the audio system is good enough - the audio on the 330 is weak as fuck without the Harmon Kardon upgrade (better speakers and a sub) and it's the only thing that annoys me about the car. Especially with the roof down, the lack of bass really makes music disappointing.

Honestly (and I know this may not go down well) I mostly listen to radio 4 / podcasts these days (usually podcasts from radio 4) so the only thing I really want is an aux in!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

GG. wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 pm :(

There will be others as you say (not that I wouldn't have uttered a few choice swear words).
Northway esq did promise to help out in future and hopefully they have a decent flow of stock. Never know, might get something even better....
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 am This thread has made me realise that 996s can still be had for sensible money. I've not really looked at them for a few years and assumed they would have been caught in the modern classics bubble too.
I reckon you’d like it.

They are very DIY friendly (not me but somebody like you) and parts are not expensive.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Honestly (and I know this may not go down well) I mostly listen to radio 4 / podcasts these days (usually podcasts from radio 4) so the only thing I really want is an aux in!
I thought the Becker CDR23 in my Boxster (standard unit in the facelift 986) sounded fine; but it was an absolute pig to add an aux in to. It connected to the car’s loom via fibre optic cable so you needed something like a Dension to attach an iPod or aux jack.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 pm parts are not expensive.
Are they not? I always think of Porsche parts as on the pricey side, especially the bits you have to get from Porsche and can't get through companies like carparts4less, etc.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

New thought:

987 Boxster S
Vs
987 Cayman (non S)

?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:51 pm

I thought the Becker CDR23 in my Boxster (standard unit in the facelift 986) sounded fine; but it was an absolute pig to add an aux in to. It connected to the car’s loom via fibre optic cable so you needed something like a Dension to attach an iPod or aux jack.
The cheapest kit for the 987 PCM2 stereo comes in at £120 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-US ... 2630117615

Unless I buy something old enough to have a tape deck then there is a much cheaper kit that looks like this:
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Marv wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:21 pm
Coaster1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 pm parts are not expensive.
Are they not? I always think of Porsche parts as on the pricey side, especially the bits you have to get from Porsche and can't get through companies like carparts4less, etc.
Ah, I was only talking about consumables such as radiators, exhausts, brakes etc from cp4l / ecp etc

Pattern parts for suspensions ain’t too dear either.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 pm
Unless I buy something old enough to have a tape deck then there is a much cheaper kit that looks like this:
<snip>
The more I look at audio upgrades for the beemer, the more tempting this gets.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Beany wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:00 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 pm
<snip>
The more I look at audio upgrades for the beemer, the more tempting this gets.
The Jag has one. Been using a similar adaptor for the last couple of years and the sound quality is far, far better than you would expect. No hiss or anything, even with it turned right up!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I had a bluetooth cassette adapter in my A8 that was excellent. Particularly combined with the Bose system which was the best car audio setup I've ever experienced.
Left over crest; tightens.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 am This thread has made me realise that 996s can still be had for sensible money. I've not really looked at them for a few years and assumed they would have been caught in the modern classics bubble too.
I reckon you’d like it.

They are very DIY friendly (not me but somebody like you) and parts are not expensive.

This

Apart from a full engine rebuild, I don't think there's onything on the car I couldn't tackle myself.

You can take mine out for a spin next time we have an OV9 E36 Compact owners meet :D
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

If it has a single din unit like the 2003 996 had you can get an Alpine head unit with he same orange backlight, BT call function , music streaming etc for £80.