Cheap off-roader

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Cheap off-roader

Post by Jobbo »

I've often pondered buying a cheap proper 4x4 but never really got further than checking the prices of Defenders in the classifieds. Which are too much for something which is more a family pet than a car. But after having my stag do in a quarry last April and going green-laning properly last weekend, I reckon I'll get more use out of a cheap off-roader than I do from my MX5. My wife is promising to clear the other half of the garage out too so I could potentially buy something without selling the MX5, though to be fair with 3 cars I'd end up SORNing one and then it wouldn't get used at all. A 4x4 on proper tyres has the additional benefit that it'll prevent us getting stuck out in the sticks in winter. But that's just Evonomics talking; I'd obviously want it for green-laning without worrying about paintwork etc.

Already knowing the prices of Defenders and their penchant for attention, my immediate thought was Japanese stuff; the Shogun always struck me as quite useful and is relatively cheap. I've considered Discovery 2s (cheap to buy, but strike me as a bit tall and unwieldy and of course suffering the usual LR foibles). The Jimny is probably a good option and would require less space in the garage but when it comes down to it, I want a proper car. So I'm probably going to go for a Jeep Cherokee; they benefit from a lift kit but they're basically set up to work well off-road from the factory, they're cheap and reliable in a way that LRs aren't, and they have a bit of off-road kudos rather than being embarrassing like piloting a Delica around a track in the Cotswolds.

Any other interesting suggestions? For anyone who hasn't tried it, finding the limits of adhesion at 2mph give me as much pleasure as doing the same thing at 80mph at Bedford.
JLv3.0

Re: Cheap off-roader

Post by JLv3.0 »

Stay away from Jeeps Simon, the reliability is horrible. Japanese all the way as you say. A SWB Shogun is the best choice for you, they are unbreakable and very capable off-road - why was this dismissed btw?

A RAV would be fun and very reliable but is not a proper off-roader. No transfer case - not a real offroader.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

I've looked into this for beating/general dog duties/green-laning. I've narrowed it down to:
- Suzuki Grand Vitara (they have a transfer case)
- Shogun

Rav4s seem pretty competent, as they have a centre diff lock. Tyres are the most important thing. Along with ground clearance.

ETA: A Touareg is also on my list (along with a Land Cruiser), but they might be a bit big for some green lanes.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Both good options but I'd go with the Shogun as it's from the class above in terms of size, engine etc. They really are unburstable - my mate had one that he essentially ignored for 10 years, think it was serviced once. 250k kms on the clock and it never missed a beat. As much as he didn't care about it at all, he was sad to see it go! The 3 doors are surprisingly roomy as well unlike the Vitara or RAV.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Things like a Shogun sound awfully big for green lane-ing (which I’ve never done and have no knowledge of really)

Wouldn’t something smaller be better, for fitting down little lanes?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

A SWB Shogun really isn't that big.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The lanes are only little because bushes grow into them - even a Jimny won't escape scratches and a Shogun (or V90 Cross Country) will bully its way through.

Not sure why I dismissed a Shogun; too many other ideas came to mind and I started looking at those so perhaps I didn't even dismiss it so much as forget about it. The 3-dr is the one I'd go for. Back to Auto Trader again... ETA: might have been partly because I looked at Pajero Evos and thought that would be the one I'd go for :lol:
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Good stuff. I guess they're all diesels in the UK, but if you are looking at petrol ones, the 3.5 / 3.8 is streets ahead of the 3.0 in terms of power, and if the specs are as per the UAE, the 3.8 has a 5-speed auto whereas the 3.0 is a 4-speed that feels like they've just taken 2nd gear out of the 5-speeder. Not sure which box the 3.5 has.

edit - manual 3.2TD for 2.2k on AT - 107k miles which is nothing. That sounds ideal!
Last edited by JLv3.0 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

I think some Shogun's had injector issues, but can't recall what model/year.

On the whole, they do seem unburstable, albeit heavy on fuel. However, I don't think any heavy 4x4 will be great on fuel.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

JL, any reason to go for an earlier Shogun like this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 0270696468 over a later one like this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 2114819225 ?
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Not that I know of mate - they didn't change radically from model to model, and the '04 is the version I know from my time here. I have a feeling that the earlier model had a live axle as opposed to independent but that wouldn't justify it in itself for me.

This was the one that jumped out at me - clicky - although admit I didn't go too far down the page.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Spotted that one too - it's a fair way away but I'm only looking for the moment. Looks to me as if plenty of Shoguns have been working vehicles, so finding one which hasn't lived a hard life is probably the only thing to look for.

ETA: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mitsubishi-s ... 4201649793 is a tempter.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Yeah that's fair enough isn't it. On the other hand, working vehicles get looked after and it will be a muddy car in your ownership as well. Good luck with the search :)
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

The Jimney is a good shout, but the best green laner that's equivalent to an MX5 is the Suzuki SJ. Loads have them round here, as this is green lane heaven, but I fear they're becoming harder to find. Proper old school, light go anywhere machines.

I've also heard very good things about the Shogun Pinin. Fairly small, petrol engines & some models have diff lock.
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Foz

Post by Foz »

JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Gwaredd wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am The Jimney is a good shout, but the best green laner that's equivalent to an MX5 is the Suzuki SJ. Loads have them round here, as this is green lane heaven, but I fear they're becoming harder to find. Proper old school, light go anywhere machines.

I've also heard very good things about the Shogun Pinin. Fairly small, petrol engines & some models have diff lock.
Good shout but the Shogun is a proper car on the road as well whereas an SJ is Defender levels of pain.

And the Pinin is for girls and gays :lol:
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

What about a left field Daihatsu Sportrak and Fourtrak ?

They are peanuts and the Sportrak I bought for my sister in-law was bombproof after 20yrs as a farm car.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Gwaredd wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am The Jimney is a good shout, but the best green laner that's equivalent to an MX5 is the Suzuki SJ. Loads have them round here, as this is green lane heaven, but I fear they're becoming harder to find. Proper old school, light go anywhere machines.

The Jimny is the SJ you ginger oaf :lol:

The Pinin has pretty poor ground clearance, and I've never liked them much. I have found out something which puts me off full-size Shoguns though; they're popular with people who like dags. Which means they're also regularly stolen, or parts stolen from them. That's a reason for avoiding Defenders too of course.

Cheers for the suggestion Carl; I'd not thought of those. ETA: and they don't seem to be all that common now, and expensive when you find them. Shame.
GG.

Post by GG. »

My dad had a Shogun at one point for quarry duties. I remember taking it out as an 18 year old and spotting that unlike the RR's he'd had, it was not permanent four wheel drive and sported a switch that changed the 4WD to RWD.

Clearly I flicked said switch and then proceeded to nearly roll it trying to get the back end out :lol:

Seemed like a very sturdy thing, though - teenage stupidty aside.
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

JLv3.0 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:36 am
Good shout but the Shogun is a proper car on the road as well whereas an SJ is Defender levels of pain.

And the Pinin is for girls and gays :lol:
TBF, I never had any comfort issues driving an SJ, and Jobbo is half my size, so would be fine. I wasn't thinking of driving these on the road for any real length of time either, purely off road useage, then bang it in a garage.

Shogun's are pretty big, no?
Cheers.

Gwaredd