Top Gear

NotoriousREV

Re: Top Gear

Post by NotoriousREV »

Urgh, getting fed up with the faux stupidity for the bantz.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

I see Harris sadly regressed to his overly twitchy, gurning presenting style during the GT2RS piece.

Conversely, I quite enjoyed the Bentley section.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Doesn't sound as if the new series is up to much. Will get around to watching them at some point, I seem to have lost interest.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I quite enjoyed that, but >15 minutes for SIARFC is just ridiculous. I FF'd as soon as the segment started.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Simon wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:41 pm I quite enjoyed that, but >15 minutes for SIARFC is just ridiculous. I FF'd as soon as the segment started.
Aye, I was wondering if they’d just forgot to film the rest of the episode. They need to ditch that segment, it’s very, very rarely been worth while.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
IanF
Currently Driving: Ferrari F430 Spider
BMW M4 Comp
Mini Cooper
LR Evoque P300e

Post by IanF »

It’s disappointing. I liked the GT2RS and thought the Conti GT looks like the perfect grand tourer, but there’s something missing from this format. I like MLB and Monkey, but they don’t have the charisma (for want of a better word) that made it essential viewing previously. Maybe it’s the script writers?

Oh and yes, the hanger part needs to go completely, as it is in TGT.
Cheers,

Ian
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t understand the Chris Harris ‘character’ they’re trying to create. It’s like they’ve told him to act as an irritating Hammond and boring geeky May hybrid who is also handy at driving which is all rather conflicting. The one thing TG is good at is filming and he managed to ruin the cinematography during the Bentley piece.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I’ve only watched the Conti GT bit so far. That was cringeworthy, so I have little hope the rest of the show 😄

If it’s this bad before Flintoff and McGuinness arrive, how awful will the next series be?
Simon

Post by Simon »

There's one new 'angle' in the show though, and that was the view forward from the back when he was power-sliding the GT2 around hammerhead. That was pretty cool.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I wish they just let Harris be himself instead of this character he's playing.

The Conti GT looked lovely and the GT2RS was just something else. What a machine!!
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Watched the first 20 mins of the first episode last night. Yes the pieces where Chris is rattling off facts into the radio whilst driving through the tunnel is just daft.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Enjoyed that - just goes to show that you don’t need to fake everything - just stick the cars/presenters in interesting situations and interesting stuff will happen.

Merc/Bentley miss in the no hands race looked fucking close!
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Yep best one of the series. Chris hitting that debris on track looked not entirely unintentional though.
Last edited by Pete_ on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

Really enjoyed that episode. It really hasn’t helped my long term desire for a Bentley Turbo R.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

"New Block" :lol:

The SEL looked oddly low, but it looked good schmoking about.

He may well have hit the debris on porpoise, it probably wasn't going to break otherwise
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 pm "New Block" :lol:

The SEL looked oddly low, but it looked good schmoking about.

He may well have hit the debris on porpoise, it probably wasn't going to break otherwise
id be surprised if they intentionally hit debris in what was a real race. It didn’t matter if the Merc broke or not for the story either, and it’s not as though sheered rear wheel bolts could be directly linked to the front bumper hitting some bodywork.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

If nothing had happened to the SEL they'd've finished higher than last easily. Where's the tv jeopardy?
I'm sure CH could have avoided the debris, and while you can't directly link that impact to the rear bolts shearing (which hadn't happened yet of course), an impact like that could well have caused a punctured rad or summat, a suitable delay to up the tension.
Either way it matters not, it was a good episode 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'm wondering if the 'real world driving simulator' area was the start of the redevelopment of Dunsfold? Because it was a bit too much to spend on a 5 minute part of one segment...

Merc for me anyway. It's a 400bhp v12!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Simon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:57 am I'm wondering if the 'real world driving simulator' area was the start of the redevelopment of Dunsfold? Because it was a bit too much to spend on a 5 minute part of one segment...

Merc for me anyway. It's a 400bhp v12!
yep, the real world bit is on Dunsfold. I went to a charity supercar day there once and recognised that as just part of many the roads around the place
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:56 pm Enjoyed that - just goes to show that you don’t need to fake everything - just stick the cars/presenters in interesting situations and interesting stuff will happen.

Merc/Bentley miss in the no hands race looked fucking close!

:lol: