Top Gear

tim

Re: Top Gear

Post by tim »

scotta wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 am Sounds promising..

I've got a tour of Classic Team Lotus on wednesday evening - really looking forward to that.

I've enjoyed this season of TG much more than any others too.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just caught the lcelandic racing, have to say I was cheering those boys on, fair play to them that was great telly.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well they finished really strong didn't they? Really really good TV when they're not just trying to batter Harris over the head with something. Looking forward to the next series.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

It was ok but it felt a bit rushed. Each item could have done with being a bit longer, some room to breathe, some time to savour. It rounded off a short and safe series judged well enough to leave people feeling unoffended and wanting more imo.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 pm Enthusiast episode tonight I reckon :mrgreen:
Yep. I do wonder if the focus groups don't like proper car content :(
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I only watched the first episode and a half of this season, didn't really grab me.

Can't help but think that Harris, Jethro Bovingdon and Henry Catchpole could make a good attempt at something like Top Gear if they had the opportunity.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

speedingfine wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm
speedingfine wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 pm Enthusiast episode tonight I reckon :mrgreen:
Clearly this.

John Q Citizen just wants a ladsy banter dicking around show loosely based around cars. Which is what it is - with the occasional bit that captures the interest of folks like us (eg Lotus 79 bit above)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 am
speedingfine wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm
Clearly this.

John Q Citizen just wants a ladsy banter dicking around show loosely based around cars. Which is what it is - with the occasional bit that captures the interest of folks like us (eg Lotus 79 bit above)
Which is why Guy Martin's show is so much better and appeals to both sets of people. When he went to the salt flats, they spoke to the people who race there, who are obviously nuts and therefore really entertaining to everyone. The Icelandic folks with 1600bhp V8s? Not a word from them. Just feels like missed opportunities.

Why do I bother writing this sh1t in TG threads :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Agree.

It’s like tears in rain....
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:59 am Which is why Guy Martin's show is so much better and appeals to both sets of people. When he went to the salt flats, they spoke to the people who race there, who are obviously nuts and therefore really entertaining to everyone. The Icelandic folks with 1600bhp V8s? Not a word from them. Just feels like missed opportunities.

Why do I bother writing this sh1t in TG threads :lol:
MrsREV is far happier sitting through a Guy Martin programme than Top Gear.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Finally caught up with the last two episodes and I have to say, they were really good. I was afraid the schtick would be too much, but they've got the balance right - they appear to all enjoy each other's company and Chris Harris gets to do what he's best at too. I think its good they now mention that you can see timed lap x on YouTube and I still don't get the hate for the celebrity guest piece.

Surprisingly good I'd say, can't wait for the next series.
Cheers,

Mike.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Must admit, as a whole I think it was the best season of the current format of topgear that I can remember.

Most of the previous series have had one or two good episodes and a load of dross. I think there have been points in every episode this series that I have enjoyed and / or laughed at.

Flitoff is still absurdly wooden and rigid in his presenting bits, hopefully that will get a bit more natural with experience.
Cheers, Harry
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Just watched the last one. Good stuff.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Paddy just can’t do car reviews though - that voiceover bit :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Flitoff is still absurdly wooden and rigid in his presenting bits
His pronunciation of Borneo as Bonio did my nut. Does that make me northernist? :oops:
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

duncs500 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:55 am Just watched the last one. Good stuff.
This.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

That reminds me of Clarkson doing similar in an Overfinch RR. Did he two a 911 Turbo and race something or other?

I am fairly sure my diesel Superb towing a caravan would out accelerate a jimny though, not much of a yardstick.
mik

Post by mik »

Gavin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:47 am I am fairly sure my diesel Superb towing a caravan would out accelerate a jimny though, not much of a yardstick.
Have that set up please Gavin.

They record that G63 at 7.15 to 60 whilst towing. The Jimmy around 11secs. I’m guessing a diesel Superb will be 8.5-9 secs as std. I reckon the Jimmy would have you.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

mik wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:07 pm
Gavin wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:47 am I am fairly sure my diesel Superb towing a caravan would out accelerate a jimny though, not much of a yardstick.
Have that set up please Gavin.

They record that G63 at 7.15 to 60 whilst towing. The Jimmy around 11secs. I’m guessing a diesel Superb will be 8.5-9 secs as std. I reckon the Jimmy would have you.
Sadly, The Superb went years ago as did the caravan. The Bongo has a 0-60 time of "probably, if there is slight decline and a tail wind". Don't fancy it in a drag race against anything tbh