Decent car YouTubes

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:42 am Interesting indeed. 8-)

It’s making me wonder if the E-Tron should shift onto a set of x-climates when the current summer rubber wears out.

Choices appear to be rather limited though - I can only see a single option in the correct size (and load rating - as it’s an EV it’s a chunky monkey).
blimey - how many miles have you done in it already?
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Rich B wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:45 am

It’s making me wonder if the E-Tron should shift onto a set of x-climates when the current summer rubber wears out.

Choices appear to be rather limited though - I can only see a single option in the correct size (and load rating - as it’s an EV it’s a chunky monkey).
EV's/hybrids seem to be rather hard on there tyres from what I'm seeing with my colleagues. That instant torque from standstill gives the tyres a hard time. I'll be interested to see how long mine last as I'm 4k into it already so will probably be ready for a new set of rears at the beginning of March 😂😂
mik

Post by mik »

The tyres still have some life left in them, but since you asked - it’s on 11k miles now. As it was a dealer principle car / demonstrator for the initial 2k miles though, I expect it did quite a few e-starts in its early life. (Had it been a normal car this would have been a huge concern, but for an EV I don’t GAF).
Barry

Post by Barry »

McSwede wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:49 am

EV's/hybrids seem to be rather hard on there tyres from what I'm seeing with my colleagues. That instant torque from standstill gives the tyres a hard time. I'll be interested to see how long mine last as I'm 4k into it already so will probably be ready for a new set of rears at the beginning of March 😂😂
EV are heavier but linear delivery encourages quite gentle driving I find, mine has 7k on it and the tyres still look new, no discernible wear yet. Mine doesn't have tree stump pulling power delivery mind, think more mid level TDi acceleration.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Just in case you haven't seen it. Great that GM is doing videos like these to show all the details of the T50.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Ecoty on YouTube now. https://youtu.be/EHfpGjHC9kQ
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:20 pm Ecoty on YouTube now. https://youtu.be/EHfpGjHC9kQ
Nice one, ta 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik

Post by mik »

Fascinating! 8-)

And totally obvious when you think about it - which I never really had. :?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Some of the recent rufford Ford vids have been amazing :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:46 pm Some of the recent rufford Ford vids have been amazing :lol:
This compilation is particularly good and extremely concerning that we share the roads with these morons. Who the fuck thinks that that best way to cross deep water is full throttle. I reckon these must be the same idiots who result in non stop accidents each time there’s some rain on the motorway. Standing water? Give it full beans…
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

I watch these in absolute amazement.

“Hmm - I have never been given any training in traversing deep water - and since I only paid several tens of thousands of pounds on my car, fuckit - I’m just going to pile in. Probably with my eyes closed too…. TALLY HO!”
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

So what's the outcome on the ones that don't make it? Is that likely to be terminal?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:24 pm Standing water? Give it full beans…
"I didn't know, there weren't any signs*. The council should have done something, and anyway the car stability thing should of (sic) stopped it going off."
*As it 'appens, I have seen "Surface water" on motorway gantry signs recentlyish. When it's raining. They didn't say if there was any internal water though :?
*In some of the Rufford clips you can see it says road closed...I guess the lack of a solid barrier makes them think -no, that's the wrong word - that it isn't despite the small river in front of them.
When you look at a map, you don't have to go through the ford at all. Fair enough traffic probably gets heavy at the roundabout in tourist season, but getting to your destination via a recovery truck and garage is hardly a shortcut.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Rich B wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:53 pm So what's the outcome on the ones that don't make it? Is that likely to be terminal?
Sadly no, it'd be classed as murder :(
mik

Post by mik »

Some of them definitely water lock. But with a nice new car I’m sure it’s still economically viable to put a whole new engine in.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

mik wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:58 am Fascinating! 8-)

Haven't had time to see the video on this but this was a major problem for the Honda hybrid V6 F1 engines. The single cylinder model worked perfectly however when they bunged it into a V6 the engine shook so violently it caused a lot of the reliability problems on the Mclarens. The engine would shake the electronics to bits. Whilst Honda improved on this it wasn't ever fully cured as far as I'm aware, with Red Bull having problems in 2019. This was one of the reasons they wanted the FIA to limit qualifying engine modes. The Honda unit would vibrate too much at higher RPM killing the electronics. I think this is still why a new Mercedes engine offers a substantial power boost whereas the Honda doesn't.
How about not having a sig at all?
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

mik wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:43 pm I watch these in absolute amazement.

“Hmm - I have never been given any training in traversing deep water - and since I only paid several tens of thousands of pounds on my car, fuckit - I’m just going to pile in. Probably with my eyes closed too…. TALLY HO!”

"I didn't know how deep it was." I've spent many an hour in therapy being told I'm negative, always looking at the bad side, always looking for things to go wrong, and if I'd brought Rufford up as an example the reply would have been "but what if you can make it through? You won't know unless you try. Be positive. Try."

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:16 pm
mik wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:58 am Fascinating! 8-)

Haven't had time to see the video on this but this was a major problem for the Honda hybrid V6 F1 engines. The single cylinder model worked perfectly however when they bunged it into a V6 the engine shook so violently it caused a lot of the reliability problems on the Mclarens. The engine would shake the electronics to bits. Whilst Honda improved on this it wasn't ever fully cured as far as I'm aware, with Red Bull having problems in 2019. This was one of the reasons they wanted the FIA to limit qualifying engine modes. The Honda unit would vibrate too much at higher RPM killing the electronics. I think this is still why a new Mercedes engine offers a substantial power boost whereas the Honda doesn't.
Good info 8-)