Marv

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by Marv »

Those 1980s tyres really look like they've been made from bakelite! 🙈
Oui, je suis un motard.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Tiff talks through his families cars. I kinda feel bad that he isn't minted, he's been a decent racer and presenter for as long as I can remember.

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Spent it all on his gardener.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:51 am Tiff talks through his families cars. I kinda feel bad that he isn't minted, he's been a decent racer and presenter for as long as I can remember.

That looks like a pretty fucking nice house/grounds, I think he’s doing ok!

In his situation, I also wouldn’t bother actually owning cars - he can Probably borrow anything From a pick up to a Ferrari with a phone call and gets endless long termers. The fact his sons share a Corsa is probably a choice to not spoil them rather than all Tiff can afford.
mik

Post by mik »

Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:38 pm
Barry wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:51 am Tiff talks through his families cars. I kinda feel bad that he isn't minted, he's been a decent racer and presenter for as long as I can remember.

That looks like a pretty fucking nice house/grounds, I think he’s doing ok!

In his situation, I also wouldn’t bother actually owning cars - he can Probably borrow anything From a pick up to a Ferrari with a phone call and gets endless long termers. The fact his sons share a Corsa is probably a choice to not spoil them rather than all Tiff can afford.
He's done well for himself for sure, but I'm still surprised he doesn't have a fave mini fleet going on akin to Harry. Borrowing is fine but surely he's found a few he wants to own in all these yrs?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Internet has him worth several million quid - I expect he’s more interested in Driving and racing cars than collecting cars.

I’m sure I’ve read other professional racing drivers not being actually interested in fast road cars or driving on roads, combine that with always being given the latest M car and all the tires you can burn through on track experiences and every other cool car and I don’t blame him for not wasting money on a fleet.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

He may well have something tucked away and just isn't saying, as likely a Morris Minor as anything else.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Want (linked to when they take it out for a drive);

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

GG.

Post by GG. »

I must say - that is a particularly tragic set of cars.

It is not uncommon for racers to be totally uninterested in road cars though is it. Damon Hill a notable example - driving a 2.0 diesel Passat https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/featur ... first-car/ Then again, Damon did always come across as a boring cunt.

I get that for some road cars just 'do a job', but you'd still think you'd have a bit of pride to not want to drive round a BMW with no badge on the front. I mean fine its old but at least maintain it!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Tiff had several manual E60 550i courtesy of BMW GB
mik

Post by mik »

I’m a bit surprised he hasn’t got something special that he owns, but agree with the points above. Have regular access to real driving tools and tracks : the excitement of piloting a road-biased performance/super/hyper car on-road has to be dulled. And you’re not likely to book trackdays and destroy a couple of grands worth of rubber & friction compounds that you pay for with your own hard-earned....
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:11 pm Internet has him worth several million quid - I expect he’s more interested in Driving and racing cars than collecting cars.

I’m sure I’ve read other professional racing drivers not being actually interested in fast road cars or driving on roads, combine that with always being given the latest M car and all the tires you can burn through on track experiences and every other cool car and I don’t blame him for not wasting money on a fleet.
He's well aware how much cars drain your finances, I'm sure. I think it's a decent collection of cars; a petrol BMW X5 on small wheels owned from new, a free loaner and a Corsa for the kids, seems fine. He spends many days a year wearing out sets of tyres that he doesn't have to pay for; why bother buying his own sports car to drive to the track test location?
GG.

Post by GG. »

Because there's a joy in ownership that you can't get from borrowing other people's stuff. Surely not hard to get your head around. To both be in and around cars and have no urge to have something that you don't hand back is unusual.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Tiff’s a great driver but I’ve never thought he’s come across particularly passionately about cars in his reviews. James May gets called boring all the time yet he has a very eclectic collection. I saw Clarkson’s latest YouTube stream with Andy Wilman - he still has many of the cars he used in TV show challenges but Wilman despite working on car shows for decades knows absolutely nothing about cars, he didn’t know if he drove a Macan or Cayenne.
Tiff always came across as a bit wooden, nice person but I can’t imagine going to the pub with him and talking about cars.
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]GG.[/mention] It’s not a difficult concept, but to you - with your life and job yada yada the joy of owning a sports car is
<======================================>

Maybe to Tiffany, with his life and job the joy of owning a sports car would be diminished to
<===============>

Who knows? Maybe he realised that instead of owning something exotic he could install and run a swimming pool, home gym, home cinema and sex dungeon that bring him a joy of ownership of
<================================================>
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:42 am Tiff’s a great driver but I’ve never thought he’s come across particularly passionately about cars in his reviews. James May gets called boring all the time yet he has a very eclectic collection. I saw Clarkson’s latest YouTube stream with Andy Wilman - he still has many of the cars he used in TV show challenges but Wilman despite working on car shows for decades knows absolutely nothing about cars, he didn’t know if he drove a Macan or Cayenne.
Tiff always came across as a bit wooden, nice person but I can’t imagine going to the pub with him and talking about cars.
James is a car enthusiast.
Tiff is a driving enthusiast.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yep, maybe he spent it all on a driving sim :lol:

He’s always been like that though, a quick google for his car collection brings up a boatshoes thread with the following quote from an Autotrader piece in 2006 "I haven't owned a car since 1982. I don't need to - I've always got a test car to drive. People always ask me what I've got in my garage - I've got nothing! I built myself a garage, but the only things in it are a lawnmower and a quadbike," says Tiff

Still, can’t think of many other people like that.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:25 am Because there's a joy in ownership that you can't get from borrowing other people's stuff. Surely not hard to get your head around. To both be in and around cars and have no urge to have something that you don't hand back is unusual.
Funny, when I spoke to my former boss yesterday he asked whether I had any emotional attachment to my CLS. I had to say no, but I don't to any car now; after owning a dozen or so the reality of the running costs and the fact that they aren't unique, they're just machines, makes you realise that it's not a big deal.

Might be different if I had a McLaren F1 that I'd owned from new, but in the real world which all of us inhabit: nah.

Anyway, Tiff's owned the X5 since new, that's 12 years - who says he doesn't get joy in ownership from that?