Decent car YouTubes

integrale_evo

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by integrale_evo »

Yes, I've never been impressed with any continental tyre in any conditions to be honest.

Would have been nice to reinforce the 7c average thing though, the amount of internet bollocks about summer tyres instantly turning to rock at precisely 7c does my head in.

I sill think the all seasons I've used before we're a good compromise for the uk. Massively better in the few days of snow we had, without feeling like jelly on the warmer drier days.
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 am Would have been nice to reinforce the 7c average thing though, the amount of internet bollocks about summer tyres instantly turning to rock at precisely 7c
True.

Last winter it was 2DegC and I popped the car out of the garage (which was about 17DegC) and drove 4 miles to the sports centre.

Back road with some twisties - was much better grip than I was expecting on the MPSS.

Came out of sports centre 70mins later and understeered onto the other side of the road at the first bend. Ah. Oops. :oops:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes its a little hard to be definitive as there is so much variance between tyre brands. My PS4S performed massively better in wet winter weather than the P Zeros the car came on and the old Pirelli Winters its currently on I don't think for one second are any better than the PS4S even in cold wet weather. They've tried to kill me on several occasions putting the power down off roundabouts already and I never had any 'moments' like that on the summers last year.

I expect snow would be a very different question and the Pirelli winters would be much better than the Michelins, but as that vid shows, all seasons are the sensible choice for winter assuming you have something that is more likely to suffer (i.e. powerful rear drive cars). For FWD or 4WD I expect you just don't need to bother in the UK.

Sadly I'm not sure Michelin do a performance all season tyre that would fit so the best option for me is, err... not an option :? :lol:

ETA: had a look and its not just Michelin - I don't think there are ANY all season options in a 295/30 R19 :roll:
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hmm I had a look and don’t understand the website much, there’s only the PA4 for winter which has a snowflake symbol with the 3 peaks and M+S one blanked out. I thought the 3 peaks symbol was the current standard, the M+S one was the old one and the snowflake symbol is surely made up? :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 am Yes, I've never been impressed with any continental tyre in any conditions to be honest.
I put ContiSports on the Stagea because they were winning all the reviews and people on here were wanking themselves dry over them. They were OK, but nothing particularly special at all. Nowhere near is good as Michelins or F1s, imho. I never felt I could trust them 100%.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Was that when they were winning all the tests which were conducted at continentals testing facility? :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm Was that when they were winning all the tests which were conducted at continentals testing facility? :lol:
:lol:

The last time I had any was on the 197. It came on SC4 IIRC. They wouldn't wear down (big clue in itself), and one day when temps were about 4-5C, I was exiting a d/c roundabout in the outside lane - slightly off camber. Mini Metro on the inside. I could not get any power down at all. T/C was cutting in no matter how much I feathered the throttle. The relevance of the Metro is that it outdragged me for about 100yds

That was the final straw for me - ordered 4 F1s that night and ditched the Contis even though they had plenty of tread left. Same location a few days later in the same conditions, and zero traction issues at all.

They're also fvcking noisy IME. Awful tyres
GG.

Post by GG. »

Epic:

Would have to swap that minging steering wheel back to a standard one if I bought it though :lol:

Does also have you wondering what horrors lie beneath :?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Not often you can SEE the performance with in-car video, but you can with the Taken:

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:01 pm Epic:

Would have to swap that minging steering wheel back to a standard one if I bought it though :lol:

Does also have you wondering what horrors lie beneath :?
I used to see a silver CGT parked in the street in Edinburgh quite regularly, I wonder if it's the same one. There can't be many that were used a lot.
An absolute unit
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Barry wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:29 pm Not often you can SEE the performance with in-car video, but you can with the Taken:

Very impressive. Looks proper rapid!!
mik

Post by mik »

Appears to be powered by some sort of squeaky machine gun? :?

Nicely pedalled though. :)

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Harry's Garage Espada engine rebuild part 4 is up which leads into the new Tyrell's workshop video channel which is also pretty good.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

RobYob wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:22 pm Harry's Garage Espada engine rebuild part 4 is up which leads into the new Tyrell's workshop video channel which is also pretty good.
Seconded, Tyrell is definitely a bit of a find for Youtube car fans.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Mik, Scott and Dan will know who this is, but I don't suppose he's well know outside of Lotus circles (although you've probably seen some of his car photography, which are exceptional) but GF Williams has a stunning Exige S. Improved in many ways without ruining the car IMO.

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I’ve been in his old caterham doing donuts at a charity day - nice guy.
mik

Post by mik »

He definitely has serious modisease.

Exposed gear linkage a-la-Webster. 8-)
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

mik wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:21 pm He definitely has serious modisease.

Exposed gear linkage a-la-Webster. 8-)
I'm not convinced about the "afterburner" style Ferrari vents (and the cost!) - I preferred the Merc ones, but otherwise, it's a lovely thing.