Post by Mito Man »

9 years collectively, they'll be back out in time for next summer :roll:
How about not having a sig at all?
Swervin_Mervin

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Barry wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:23 pm

Just started this but it sounds cool so far
Just been catching up with the Retropower diary vids and one of the recent ones picks up on the next Redux conversion.

I have to say - I'm not sure I see the point/value, or am I missing something? Resto-modding something like an E30 M3 seems nuts to me. It's not like they were that shit in the first place and they were already more than just a base model with some extras thrown at them, with the various mods that were made in production. Added to that, they're now big money to buy.

Is there really that much of a market for them? They clearly know better than I, but to me it just seems bonkers to be ripping apart extremely nice examples like the above, for resto-modding.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Better than retro modding something that is worthless/undesirable. Spend big money on a M3/911/60s camaro/etc and it's worth big money.

Spend big money on a Corsa and it's worth less than when you started.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:29 pm :lol: Some wonderful Aussie lunatic appears to have decided that a Commodore (essentially a UK VE-VXR8 like @Matty and I had (not together you idiots)) would make an ideal rally car. 8-)

It doesn’t :lol: , but put your headphones/speakers on and listen to that LS howl. 8-)

Sounds like its got a charger on it as well
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:04 pm Better than retro modding something that is worthless/undesirable. Spend big money on a M3/911/60s camaro/etc and it's worth big money.

But £330k + the donor M3?

That's feckin' insane. Even ex DTM/BTCC racers don't go for anywhere near that much and they have some pedigree.

And tbf - you miss my point. They (RP) don't really (afaik) start with anything worthless/undesirable. But what they do start with are typically classics with huge amounts of room for improvement. And it strikes me that the M3 doesn't really fit into that specific group of classics.

With their other cars you end up with smoething unique based on something that was (likely) already desirable to begin with. I just can't see one of these being that much more unique than a mint original or ex-motorsport version to warrant the cost.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:18 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:04 pm Better than retro modding something that is worthless/undesirable. Spend big money on a M3/911/60s camaro/etc and it's worth big money.

But £330k + the donor M3?

That's feckin' insane. Even ex DTM/BTCC racers don't go for anywhere near that much and they have some pedigree.

And tbf - you miss my point. They (RP) don't really (afaik) start with anything worthless/undesirable. But what they do start with are typically classics with huge amounts of room for improvement. And it strikes me that the M3 doesn't really fit into that specific group of classics.

With their other cars you end up with smoething unique based on something that was (likely) already desirable to begin with. I just can't see one of these being that much more unique than a mint original or ex-motorsport version to warrant the cost.
isn't that the basic issue with most car modifications? It's never worth what you've spent, but you get what you want.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I agree with Swervs sentiment here, while its all good restoring and upgrading a decent car, everyone has a point where it stops being a fun exercise and turns into just burning money. The cost of those rebuilt cars is ludicrous, when you could actually buy some real exotic kit for that money. Yes, I applaud those people willing to spend that money anyway, bla bla.. but if I had half a mil it would be spent very differently.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Barry wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:01 pm I agree with Swervs sentiment here, while its all good restoring and upgrading a decent car, everyone has a point where it stops being a fun exercise and turns into just burning money. The cost of those rebuilt cars is ludicrous, when you could actually buy some real exotic kit for that money. Yes, I applaud those people willing to spend that money anyway, bla bla.. but if I had half a mil it would be spent very differently.
I expect whoever commissioned that has more than half a mil to spend on cars.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:04 pm
Barry wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:01 pm I agree with Swervs sentiment here, while its all good restoring and upgrading a decent car, everyone has a point where it stops being a fun exercise and turns into just burning money. The cost of those rebuilt cars is ludicrous, when you could actually buy some real exotic kit for that money. Yes, I applaud those people willing to spend that money anyway, bla bla.. but if I had half a mil it would be spent very differently.
As a one off for someone with multi millions the price is probably OK, but aren't they trying to sell more of these?
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:29 pm
As a one off for someone with multi millions the price is probably OK, but aren't they trying to sell more of these?
I guess that if they've done all the development work for it, they might as well try and flog more.

Companies like Singer do pretty well out of similar schemes.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I guess if you really want one then why not. Not sure how much a Singer costs but that M3 doesn’t look anywhere near as nicely done up as those.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:29 pm
And this is the bit that really marks it out for me. The big reveal one was the 2nd Redux. The one in the above vid will be #3. These aren't 1 offs. I guess they're trying to do a Singer. But arguably with a much better base car, that's also much rarer and possibly more expensive for a donor motor. And it doesnt look like Singer-level product.

I guess it's great for RP to have a steady stream of work but then it sounds like they have order books that would keep them occupied for years anyway without this.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

My ‘problem’ with it is cars like E30 M3 are relatively rare, ‘iconic’ cars.

If one wants to mod or ‘do a Singer’ with a base car like E30 318 (or vanilla 964 etc), fine. Nobody would want use a 964 RS as a base car to ‘do a Singer’, the same applies to E30 M3.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I don’t have a problem with people doing whatever they like to their cars, however I personally don’t like lot of what they’re doing to the m3s. A lot of it seems like change for the sake of it and to charge more money rather than for any real benefit. I think most of the styling changes make it look worse than the standard car.

Besides which, I huge part of the appeal of the original is that it looks like it does because that’s what they needed to do to take it racing. Start chopping that about and it’s just a modified three series.

Much like the reborn delta integrales they’re doing which I think are awful too.

But meh, I can’t afford an m3 at today’s prices never mind throwing another £300k on top, so I’m way out of their target audience.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:28 pm I don’t have a problem with people doing whatever they like to their cars, however I personally don’t like lot of what they’re doing to the m3s. A lot of it seems like change for the sake of it and to charge more money rather than for any real benefit. I think most of the styling changes make it look worse than the standard car.

Besides which, I huge part of the appeal of the original is that it looks like it does because that’s what they needed to do to take it racing. Start chopping that about and it’s just a modified three series.

Much like the reborn delta integrales they’re doing which I think are awful too.

But meh, I can’t afford an m3 at today’s prices never mind throwing another £300k on top, so I’m way out of their target audience.
I think it's worse that you have one sat under a cover rotting away! But then I am very very jealous! 😀
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My idea of modification has always been pretty simple. Bolt on a set of decent suspension, thicker anti roll bars, reliably tune up the engine, more fruity zorst if needed, better brakes, modern headunit/speakers which match the cars age. Leave the fecking body alone on a nice car like the E30 M3.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:28 pm I don’t have a problem with people doing whatever they like to their cars, however I personally don’t like lot of what they’re doing to the m3s. A lot of it seems like change for the sake of it and to charge more money rather than for any real benefit. I think most of the styling changes make it look worse than the standard car.

I think it's worse that you have one sat under a cover rotting away! But then I am very very jealous! 😀
It's not rotting, my friends.

It's gathering patina.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Coaster1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:21 pm My ‘problem’ with it is cars like E30 M3 are relatively rare, ‘iconic’ cars.

If one wants to mod or ‘do a Singer’ with a base car like E30 318 (or vanilla 964 etc), fine. Nobody would want use a 964 RS as a base car to ‘do a Singer’, the same applies to E30 M3.
My point but far better made!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 pm I think it's worse that you have one sat under a cover rotting away! But then I am very very jealous! 😀
It was out at the weekend 😀 thanks to retropower / redux it’s probably worth a few quid more now too 😉
Cheers, Harry