Decent car YouTubes

Beany

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by Beany »

Not quite on the same level, but this is quite interesting.

Carbon tubbed 'trike' licensed small electric car, sub 900kg, 140kw motor, three wheeler, that looks like a classic car. Not 'a pastiche of a classic', but looks like some of the more esoteric boat-based designs from 60s and 70s Americana.

And the founder seems to be a fun chap too, with the right sort of attitude.

Very much a toy, but certainly very different to the usual 2.5ton electric SUVs that 90% of the time won't be carrying any more people than one of these.

I like the cut of thier jib.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Broccers wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:37 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:16 pm @JonMad a couple of tweaks later...

Very quick.

9.12 incredibly stupid place to stand - lsd grabs and oosh no legs / feet. :lol:
Both those things.
Left over crest; tightens.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Barry wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:05 pm
It's running the wrong tyres - too high profile. I shall correct that on mine.

One annoying thing about 205s though; the bonnet/grille/headlights and indicators never look like they're correctly lined up. Wasn't an issue in the 80s and 90s, not sure why it's an issue on a restoration.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Technically, running the wrong wheels in the first place, those are 1.9GTi wheels only non?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

They are. They also look like the non-Speedline versions, which is still OE but not quite as nice as the original 1.9 alloys.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany

Post by Beany »

Oof, looks like Alpinas engineeering might not be all that.

Since this question keeps popping up, I'll address it here. If we are building the same engine as Alpina did, why are they falling in the first place and how can we prevent it from happening? Alpina used very tight piston to wall clearances 0.01-0.02 mm, stock N62 105°C thermostat and 5W30 oil. Disastrous recipe for a supercharged engine and in my opinion, that's why it ends up with scored cylinders.

To achieve better emissions and fuel consumption, 105°C tstat was used, which means the engine will sometimes see temperatures as high as 110-115°C when under heavy load and when you have such tight clearances, thinner oil, well something has to give and damage occurs. If you look at the high-powered M engines of the same era, S85, S65, S62... they all run 10W60 oil which offers far superior protection under heavy loads and none of them run that insanely hot, they all have 79°C thermostats. Alpina did a good job by beefing up the bottom end on N62 when they developed H1 engine, but using stock N62 thermostat and thin oil on a 500hp supercharged engine with tight clearances... Well, here we are with a toilet plunger in our hands.

When we put this engine together, we'll rock that 95°C thermostat and 5W50 oil. It will help long-term. As for the piston to wall clearance, since this is a used block that's worn, clearances will be on the loose side which goes in our favor. The goal now is to get this turd back on the road and do so without giving millions to Alpina for new parts. If we can get 100k km out of this engine, that would be a win. Given 15 other cars that I have, it'll take me 100 years to cover that distance with one car anyway. :D
Obviously Streten doesn't claim to be an engine builder, but he's spoken to plenty of them, and looked at several Alpina engines lately....but it rather looks like the B7 with that engine is a bit of a donkey. :shock:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:40 am
Will watch that later.

Always fancied doing an f40 style rear panel on mine, but would have gone all the way across and had a floating numberplate too 😁
Cheers, Harry
davecG60

Post by davecG60 »

Jobbo wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:33 am
davecG60 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:11 pm
He's a bloke very local to us so it's great to recognise lots of the local area and shows a good bit of variety too. Not afraid to show how much he earns on the sale of the cars as well as how much he spends getting them fixed prior to sale.
I like his videos but I'm sure he's more interested in being a Youtuber than being a car dealer really - the car dealing has just been a good way to start a channel.
Agree Jobbo, reminds me of old Top Gear episodes with the one liners etc but It's great for us to watch the local scenery whizzing by and a bit of "insider" knowledge too.
Cockwobble
mik

Post by mik »

Not the most exciting video, but it does feature the Stratos replica that I’ve posted images of during its build.

Unfortunately you only hear it with beans and some revs once (I think - at 5mins)

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Beany wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:43 am Oof, looks like Alpinas engineeering might not be all that.

Expensive lessons, but with the knowledge gained this engine build should be a good 'ne 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Is the chap in the first clip the actor Kevin Eldon?

Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

“Chris, I look like a fat the actor Kevin Eldon”
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Jack from number27 videos met me at the Bicester heritage meet last month and asked if he could do a video with my ‘sud. I popped back to Oxfordshire a couple of weeks ago and he’s just published this. I think he quite enjoyed it :D
Cheers, Harry
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:52 am Jack from number27 videos met me at the Bicester heritage meet last month and asked if he could do a video with my ‘sud. I popped back to Oxfordshire a couple of weeks ago and he’s just published this. I think he quite enjoyed it :D
Just popped up on my feed that. I often chat in the comments with Jack and Jayemm and was thinking about offering one of them a go in my Chimaera as neither have had them on their channels and they aren't that far from me (in fact when Jack saw ratarossa it was filmed on my route home from my office).