Decent car YouTubes

Simon

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by Simon »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:11 am Nope, me neither. I just thought it varied the base position relative to the valves by rotating the journals on an eccentric. Had no idea it did the speeding up and slowing down thingy.

Pretty impressive for the mid 90s and don't think I've ever heard of a vvc unit failure.
The pins wearing out is the only weakness in the system I think. But I ran two VVC cars, one after the other, and the VVC mechanism was always reliable for me.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Ftao JL;

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Simon wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:23 am
integrale_evo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:11 am Nope, me neither. I just thought it varied the base position relative to the valves by rotating the journals on an eccentric. Had no idea it did the speeding up and slowing down thingy.

Pretty impressive for the mid 90s and don't think I've ever heard of a vvc unit failure.
The pins wearing out is the only weakness in the system I think. But I ran two VVC cars, one after the other, and the VVC mechanism was always reliable for me.
I was thinking about this earlier and wondered who has the vvc patent now, or whether they ever protected the design. Wonder if it was something bmw took with them.

The fiat multiair system is also variable duration, it just can't increase duration over what is ground into the cam, however it can reduce it, all the way to zero if you really wanted!
Cheers, Harry
Simon

Post by Simon »

IIRC it was originally a very old (Yamaha?) design that someone had BL found and productionised in the VVC engine. I don't _think_ it was a BL/MGR patent in the first place.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Not watched it yet but old skool cars with Tiff.

Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:36 pm IIRC it was originally a very old (Yamaha?) design that someone had BL found and productionised in the VVC engine. I don't _think_ it was a BL/MGR patent in the first place.
I always thought the VVC design (at Rover at least) was a Ricardo thing that came with the K-series, or whomever it was that consulted on the engine design. Perhaps that was just VHPDs or something?

I'm sure there's an interesting history in there somewhere, I can't see even BL being so blind as to design a bonkers-advanced VVT system and not patent it for all the moneyz, etc.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Beany wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:12 am
Simon wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:36 pm IIRC it was originally a very old (Yamaha?) design that someone had BL found and productionised in the VVC engine. I don't _think_ it was a BL/MGR patent in the first place.
I always thought the VVC design (at Rover at least) was a Ricardo thing that came with the K-series, or whomever it was that consulted on the engine design. Perhaps that was just VHPDs or something?

I'm sure there's an interesting history in there somewhere, I can't see even BL being so blind as to design a bonkers-advanced VVT system and not patent it for all the moneyz, etc.
Here you go
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

This is quite a good channel for all things JDM.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrVw06 ... 5SnB2q5PHA
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Quite interesting 8-)

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'm rewatching the build for MCM's Supergramps now that they've decided it's finished. It's a great series, interesting to see what goes into working on a flat engine as I've never worked on one before.

An absolute unit
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I've just found this channel;

https://www.youtube.com/user/johanm1984 ... _polymer=1

V12 190 build :D
Barry

Post by Barry »

Slow start but persevere with this one, the levels this man works at are an example to us all:

jamcg

Post by jamcg »

tim

Post by tim »

Barry wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:46 pm Slow start but persevere with this one, the levels this man works at are an example to us all:

OBJAY DAR MATE!! I *loved* this video, purely for the bloke.
mik

Post by mik »

Barry wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:46 pm Slow start but persevere with this one, the levels this man works at are an example to us all:

I “speed-watched” that earlier, and even then it was mind-bending. Amazing skills and a simply ridiculous focus on details. Fantastic he can make that work as a business 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:o :shock: 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]scotta[/mention] at the last ScottishElises meet-up.

scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:36 am @scotta at the last ScottishElises meet-up.

That was some bit of driving.
mik

Post by mik »

You did well mate.