Decent car YouTubes

GG.

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by GG. »

Yes that is what people often suppose though I’ve never seen anything detailed to support it.

Thing is you would think more weight over rear equals stiffer sidewalls. Whereas if you’ve actually owned a 911 (and punted one down a country lane) you’d know that that’d be the opposite of what you want.

If you switch the dampers to the sport setting for example and reduce the compliance, it is much more likely to snap and try and kill you over compressions. I would imagine stiffening the sidewall would have a similar effect to a smaller degree but I’m sure others more informed in vehicle dynamics may correct me.

That said the tyre pressures are pretty wild on the rear 40 psi IIRC
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So softer sidewall and spring rates equates to a less snappy rear - better for 99% of the population driving on the road but on a smooth racetrack its slower. All those sports modes on cars must have a genuine benefit but they're all pretty crap day to day.

At the end of the day the N means it's Nurburgring developed and tested. So yeah, perfect for trundling up and down the UK :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

It’s way too complex to reduce to a single load rating or sidewall stiffness. Everything has to work in harmony - I remember Mark Hales going on in Fast Lane mag about his pet hate - drivers seats with a lower spring rate than the tyres/suspension, so even if the car was settled the seat jiggling made it feel unsettled.

Evora is closer to 911 weight distribution than anything else out there. Series 1 cars came on P-Zeros, but that didn’t stop “every” owner (including the original owner of mine) switching to Michelins like the Series2 cars.

I made the analogy on another thread with the Covid vaccines. Janssen one is single-dose cos they put their hopes on that regime offering useage advantages. There wasn’t time to do multiple clinical trials. It could be that Pfizer or AstraZeneca could be effective after a single dose, but they set up their trials as dual-dose as they felt this was most likely to yield stronger effectivity results. That doesn’t mean they aren’t effective after a single dose - it just means that regime wasn’t trialled and therefore there is no evidence to support any claims in this area.

N-rated tyres are like this. Porsche might state that they only approve x and y tyres as that’s what they tested and can stand over. It is entirely possibly that Z is superior in every way, but until they test that, Porsche can only recommend that you don’t use that tyre.

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Good to know that a 90th(?) percentile female can sit in the back of an Evora.
As long as the driver does without a seat :lol:

I still think a 1+2 with central driving position would have been an awesome option.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

@V8Granite

Special car 8-) Want!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s a real beauty 😎

I will watch that in peace later.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Nice little video, hopefully the rest of them are more of the same.

They will be 100k in 2 years and all other car prices will drop!!

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Mostly just sharing this so other people can see the ridiculously large cylinder heads on the engine.

That’s a 11.5 litre twin turbo V8 in the back of a fibreglass tray doing 130mph on water :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It’s a really interesting build, I like his pick-up too.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I like all of his stuff tbh. Looking forward to seeing the 200mph Caddy run.
An absolute unit
Barry

Post by Barry »

I know its an EV but the numbers on this thing, the passion from the team.. very impressive IMO

RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Annoying that they managed to Fubar the sound mix (admitedly this one is a lot better than the accelerations video hopefully will be fixed in a few days)

The 2nd video of just the accleration runs is ridiculous.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There really is no competing with EVs in terms of acceleration and single lap pace is there. Will be an awkward few years for new ICE supercars as they'll be slower than EV saloons.
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:51 pm
The way the Rimac on the rolling launch utterly, comprehensively and entirely minces the one thousand horsepower Ferrari is kinda mind boggling.
Holley

Post by Holley »

Simon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:51 pm
Astonishing car that. Whatever your thoughts about EV's are, that really is something special.

A slightly daily mail thought but in a world where you need a special licence to drive a fork lift truck, it's amazing that anyone on a normal licence can drive this on the public roads.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I think he's going to have a job to borrow Ferraris after that video. :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:47 am I think he's going to have a job to borrow Ferraris after that video. :lol:
i don't really see how else he could have handled it! He introduced the Ferrari as what it was - but the Rimac just comprehensively flattened it.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

TBF the Rimac has almost double the horsepower and only about 10% more weight. It would’ve been embarrassing for it if it didn’t smoke the Ferrari.

Should run it against this, technically street legal and equally useless for anything but going fast :lol:

An absolute unit
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:07 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:47 am I think he's going to have a job to borrow Ferraris after that video. :lol:
i don't really see how else he could have handled it! He introduced the Ferrari as what it was - but the Rimac just comprehensively flattened it.
Oh I know, but Ferrari don't take kindly to such things.