Decent car YouTubes

Coaster1

Re: Decent car YouTubes

Post by Coaster1 »

Silverstone blue (?) and orange actually looks alright. Gearbox seems crap though p, and £74k :|
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m almost ashamed to admit it but the convertible one on boatshoes looks really rather good with the top down :oops:
How about not having a sig at all?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Coaster1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:29 pm

Nice little video.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:20 pm I’m almost ashamed to admit it but the convertible one on boatshoes looks really rather good with the top down :oops:
You should be ashamed. It's goping.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, vile. I actually think I hate them more now than when I first saw them. On first look it was the hideous nose which blinded me to everything else, but now I can’t help notice the stupid looking different wheels sizes / tyre profiles and huge front arch gap.

The whole thing is a mess.
Cheers, Harry
Brannen

Post by Brannen »

I saw a new M4 the other day, thought it was even worse in the flesh. Not sure what people were on to say it looked better in real life.

There's a shot around the 1:20 mark, the previous gen just looks so much better (even in that colour).
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Now I’ve seen a few new M4s on the road, I’m even more confused that people think the F80 looks better. The older model looks like someone has added their own aftermarket bumpers and other addenda; it’s a mess. The new one looks way better, more integrated and sophisticated.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Have you been drinking a little too much Sangria down in the Costa del Devon Simon? There are so much design details on the new one that make no sense, and what's more they don't fit into the design as a whole (see HarryM's video on the matter).

Seems like the smart money would pick either the old M4 or even the M440 for the TLGP anyway.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Since my view hasn’t changed, obviously no. The E90 M3 looked great, the E46 looked great, the F80 versions always looked shit. Not helped by adding the awful Competition alloys later on.

The details Harry criticised were there on the F80 (other than the grille) anyway. The overall look of the new one is just much better integrated and subtly muscly in the flesh; getting back to the E90 style rather than the chav tat F80.
tim

Post by tim »

It would seem the answer anyway is to buy an M440i and a Caterham for less than an M4.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Drives great tho supposedly..
mik

Post by mik »

Whilst we are talking about M3/4.... this is an interesting little vid.

GG.

Post by GG. »

Very interesting!! Well that definitively put to bed whether or not there is actually a difference.

Sadly given the predominant weather conditions in the UK you'd be better off with their standard tyre :lol:
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

GG. wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:33 pm Very interesting!! Well that definitively put to bed whether or not there is actually a difference.

Sadly given the predominant weather conditions in the UK you'd be better off with their standard tyre :lol:
That was a great video. Really enjoyed it and no, OEM spec everytime for the improved feel.

I enjoy his output. It's very good stuff.
GG.

Post by GG. »

McSwede wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:44 pm
GG. wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:33 pm Very interesting!! Well that definitively put to bed whether or not there is actually a difference.

OEM spec everytime for the improved feel.

Happily on my old shed its a hydraulic rack so I expect light years better than those bimmers for feel anyhow ;)

On a more serious note it annoys me that they don't keep developing tyres for old models but basically say here's you're 20 year old PS2 N2 spec take it or leave it.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

GG. wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:21 pm

Happily on my old shed its a hydraulic rack so I expect light years better than those bimmers for feel anyhow ;)

On a more serious note it annoys me that they don't keep developing tyres for old models but basically say here's you're 20 year old PS2 N2 spec take it or leave it.
Ha. I should have added that I was talking about the P4S in the test. At some point, as tyre tech advances id imagine it'd be better to go with the latest off the shelf option.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:21 pm

I thought the N-rated tyres thing had been pretty thoroughly debunked by now. Surely you’re not still using them?
GG.

Post by GG. »

No I'm not - I switched to PS4S as soon as they came out (replacing a nearly new set of N rated Pirellis which came with the 911 - that's how much I hated them!)

If you watch that TyreReviews video however, it is pretty convincing that they do actually adjust the compound and even the carcass of the tyre with the OEM spec tyres (or at least for BMW). Basically I wouldn't mind having the option of those BMW spec tyres (or the Porsche equivalent) for the 911.
mik

Post by mik »

GG. wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:35 pm If you watch that TyreReviews video however, it is pretty convincing that they do actually adjust the compound and even the carcass of the tyre with the OEM spec tyres (or at least for BMW).
It is clear there were.a lot of mods for the M3/4 version, but you have no idea how those mods compare to other “custom” versions.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought the Porsche rated tyres were meant to be one of the more customised ones due to the odd weight distribution of the 911.

Usually with the BMW star stuff the tyres aren't much more than the standard variants so might as well go for it.
How about not having a sig at all?