New car

Swervin_Mervin

New car

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Wife has been thinking of changing for a while and in particular wanted to size up - she's felt the 125i has been a bit cramped for some time now.

So we were looking at the Volvo V90 for a while. It would have likely been the T8 but we weren't sure we wanted to stretch that far. Had a test drive booked but sat around 40 mins waiting before sacking it off. Went up to Skoda as she'd previously looked briefly at the Superb. Test drove the 272 and loved it. Enjoyed how it drove and the space is absurd, plus alcantara seats. 8-)

After not dancing the sales dance with Dealer 1 and them getting pissy about a quote we got from Dealer 2 via carwow, we had a fuss free hour yesterday signing off the order.

Spec is Sportline Plus 272 4wd hatch in Business Grey, with optional Supernova alloys, 600w sound system and a few other options. Trim is alcantara seats and door cards. All sneaking below the 40k list tax threshold. Has the 7speed dsg as standard and will hit 60 in 5.3s apparently. When did average cars get so bloody quick?
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaveE

Re: New purchase

Post by DaveE »

I think that looks very nice...

I'm really fed up/bored with my car now (I know, first world problems etc) but a new kitchen and quite a bit of building work means that I think a change isn't likely soon.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Nice 8-) I do like the Superb, my brother-in-law was trying to decide between this and the Passat, finally decided on the latter but I'd have gone with the Superb myself....

They are freaking huge inside. Cavernous!
mik

Post by mik »

Like that. 8-)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ooh I like that. Tried a Superb a few months ago and the rear seats are limo-like. What's the difference between the normal Sportline and the plus?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
evostick

Post by evostick »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:19 pm
Spec is Sportline Plus 272 4wd hatch in Business Grey, with optional Supernova alloys, 600w sound system and a few other options. Trim is alcantara seats and door cards. All sneaking below the 40k list tax threshold. Has the 7speed dsg as standard and will hit 60 in 5.3s apparently. When did average cars get so bloody quick?

It's a forty grand skoda with 270 bhp and a fancy gearbox. Not very average at all really :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Looks well. :)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Hey, mine's only 10bhp short and the same weight and is near 1.5s slower to 60 :lol:

Simon, I think it's electric tailgate, heated front seats, the larger screen Columbus satnav, and a couple of other things.

I went through the various VAG alternatives, specifically comparing wheelbase and pretty much the only other option would have been an Arteon. The A6 is larger, and Passat shorter. We went to look at the Arteon, which you can get with exactly the same drivetrain, but I was disappointed in the quality - cubby covers that wouldn't close without assistance for example. Certainly not worth the premium over the Skoda imo.
NotoriousREV

Post by NotoriousREV »

I had no idea such a thing existed. Looks smart, goes well. Nice purchase.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

I like them - considered one when I got my Volvo but the deals weren't as good as the Volvo ones. Ticks so many boxes and looks great.
tim

Post by tim »

I've really enjoyed owning my Octavia, and would certainly be looking at a Superb if i needed the extra space. Mine will be 3 years old in March and as it's due a service I'm going to take out their new model demo vRS and see if there's a deal worth doing for another one.

They're a step down a bit in quality from the VW equivalents obvs, but not enough for me to care about given how much cheaper they are to buy (0% on my current one is hard to argue with!)
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Dave - Nor did until she decided she liked the one she first sat in. I just had my fingers crossed the range wasn't populated with dull low power output engines like so many manufacturers only seem to offer these days. She wasn't sure about going for the 272 over the 220 at first but once she drive it she wanted it. Fits her liking for understated pace as well.

Tim - as I said, the VW disappointed me. Looks nice inside no doubt, but generally I thought the quality was well down on what I expected a VW would be like (I haven't much experience of VAG, fnar).
ste

Post by ste »

Well that's a handsome car I knew nothing about. 8-)
scotta

Post by scotta »

My mate had a superb estate. Massive comfy bus. Very nice motor. said it liked to roll a bit round corners...but well its a massive estate car!
Beany

Post by Beany »

I was looking at sheddy Superbs the other night (no real reason, other than throwing suggestions at my bro to replace the Citroen with) and was suprised that they came with a 1.4? (Presumably the twincharged jobby)

Quick sniff on the confligurator shows you can get the 1.5/150hp lump in there too.

That's quite an engine range.
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Very nice 8-)

I was considering a Superb 280 Estate for dog carrying and work/business duties, but I now need to get a 4x4. I was looking at 2-3 year old ones, so I could take it to Revo for a remap....
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I like these. The new styling has the Octavia and Superb looking much more similar. i.e. it doesn't look as massive as the older one.
Left over crest; tightens.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

NotoriousREV wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:00 am I had no idea such a thing existed. Looks smart, goes well. Nice purchase.
This, except 'goes well' is an understatement!!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mikeyb wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 pm Very nice 8-)

I was considering a Superb 280 Estate for dog carrying and work/business duties, but I now need to get a 4x4. I was looking at 2-3 year old ones, so I could take it to Revo for a remap....
280 is 4x4 Mikey, unless you mean SUV?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Superb! Very smart! I’m a bit behind reading my EVO magazines but I didn’t know they are 4x4.

280bhp, is that a de-tuned Golf R engine then?