Today’s want

mik

Re: Today’s want

Post by mik »

Have never sat in a current M5, but they must be pretty spacious non?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:42 pm I am seriously thinking about swapping the Z4 for something more b̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ sensible and if that's not bad enough, Im considering a 7 over an m5.Image

Similar price, due to big discount on the M5 and eye watering discount on the 7. Is it time to start thinking about a buss pass? :D
I’d be interested to know what level of discount you’re talking - and is it specific to the petrol V8s?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Are you buying outright? I wouldn’t buy a new v8 7 series, they usually depreciate to peanuts pretty quickly.
How about not having a sig at all?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I’m surprised there’s any real discount when new cars seem to be in short supply. Probably optimistic to think a new 530d xDrive Touring would be discounted, but I quite fancy one next.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

MikeHunt wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:08 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:48 pm I thought you had a 7 and hated it and bought the Z4 because you wanted something sporty ?
Your right, there were a lot of things I liked about the 7 but it was a diesel, ive never owned a v8...yet. :lol:
Modern diesels are very good and suit luxo-barges very well IMO, loads of effortless torque, decent fuel economy, and unless you do most of your driving standing outside the car with the bonnet open the difference in refinement is tiny. So as much as I love V8s (I have several...) I can't see a petrol V8 bringing any benefit to a 7 Series. It's not a car to chuck around - as you already know - and the petrol engine will need you to work it harder to "make progress" and it will still be far less fun than the Z4. It just seems like a contradiction.

Keep the Z4 for fun, buy a s/h M5 for fun/family, use the EQV for family.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I would have said the same, Steve, but I’ve not driven an up to date turbo V8. Based on the ease with which a turbo 1.2 petrol moves my wife’s Yeti around, I think a 4.4 V8 with a turbo probably won’t need working too hard in a 7-series.
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

mik wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:04 pm Have never sat in a current M5, but they must be pretty spacious non?
I had a 540 which is pretty spacious, it shares a lot with the 7 so not much difference, in fact the 5 has a slightly larger boot than the 7. There is a difference in the quality of components, switch gear, leather etc and air suspension is a game changer.
Jobbo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:31 pm I’m surprised there’s any real discount when new cars seem to be in short supply. Probably optimistic to think a new 530d xDrive Touring would be discounted, but I quite fancy one next.
Ive seen 6/7 k off a new 530d touring, the 750 is over £25k off. Agree that it seems strange that deals are offered on cars despite the well known supply issues.
Mito Man wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:43 pm Are you buying outright? I wouldn’t buy a new v8 7 series, they usually depreciate to peanuts pretty quickly.
Not buying cash and so low rate finance deals, supported by the manufacturers does mean that newer cars appear better value than used. Depreciation is probably the main reason why I’m still thinking about it.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

I wish the 5-series could be specced with air suspension. As it is, I’m probably going to go for an E400d estate next time with nappa leather interior and air. It’s not as luxurious as an S-class but I can get things in it (like the oven I had to shift today) and BMW not offering a 535/540d in the U.K. now is just odd. The interior of the 5 can be specced nicely with merino extended leather so it gets close to the 7 in that respect, but not in terms of engine or air suspension.

A 740d xDrive would suit me down to the ground except for the body shape.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I've been looking at Volvo trucks tonight after spending the day helping the neighbour and travelling around a bit in his 'toy' :D
It's a FH16 which means 16 litres and it says 750 on the side which refers to its BHP. 3550Nm of torque but due to gearing it's many multiples of that in lower gears. The most powerful Volvo truck ever. We were only carrying about 15 tonnes so it was doing a healthy 10 mpg which I think is amazing.

Inside the cab the seats are more comfortable than any car I've ever sat in, it has a bed behind the seats with a TV, fridge freezer and microwave.

This one is all custom made from the cab backwards. It has a crane and tipper which in combination with this model makes it the only one in the UK apparently.

FH16s are popular in Australia as they're so powerful they're suitable for use in road trains:

This means that in the UK with the paltry loads he carries here this truck can sit on the 60 mph limiter going up any hill carrying any load.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Mito Man wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:12 pm 3550Nm of torque but due to gearing it's many multiples of that in lower gears.
Whilst that is CAF 8-) - non to your comment. The big Volvo makes 3550Nm of torque by any of our normal measures. Yes that is multiplied by the gearbox, but that’s precisely what gearboxes are for.

Gearboxes are far more relevant in discussions about bhp as you factor in RPM. My Evora can pull 100• mph in 3rd at 7.2krpm. But if an F1 car can rev to 15krpm, then it can push over 200mph using the same gear. BHP really describes how much an engine can take advantage of gearing….
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Look at this oddball

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274871602881

There can't be many brown, manual XJ6s on steel wheels.
An absolute unit
MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Jobbo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:09 pm I wish the 5-series could be specced with air suspension. As it is, I’m probably going to go for an E400d estate next time with nappa leather interior and air. It’s not as luxurious as an S-class but I can get things in it (like the oven I had to shift today) and BMW not offering a 535/540d in the U.K. now is just odd. The interior of the 5 can be specced nicely with merino extended leather so it gets close to the 7 in that respect, but not in terms of engine or air suspension.

Guessing you share my aversion to SUVs ?
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:49 pm Look at this oddball

With a tow bar.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

MikeHunt wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:46 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:09 pm I wish the 5-series could be specced with air suspension. As it is, I’m probably going to go for an E400d estate next time with nappa leather interior and air. It’s not as luxurious as an S-class but I can get things in it (like the oven I had to shift today) and BMW not offering a 535/540d in the U.K. now is just odd. The interior of the 5 can be specced nicely with merino extended leather so it gets close to the 7 in that respect, but not in terms of engine or air suspension.

Guessing you share my aversion to SUVs ?
Yeah, I don't see the point. But there's often no way to get a big engine in a full sized estate these days, so I feel sure an SUV will be what I end up with at some point. Not yet though.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:32 pm
ZedLeg wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:49 pm Look at this oddball

With a tow bar.

There's an advisory against the colour :( It does look a bit like Audi Ipanema. It wouldn't surprise me if a google finds pics of it at a show, slammed.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Talking of "there can't be many..."; http://www.davidmarksgarages.co.uk/daimlercorsica_part1
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

A google of the brown 'ne brought up this; https://www.classiccars4sale.net/classi ... aguar-x300
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

That's cool, cheers for posting.
An absolute unit
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

nuttinnew wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:58 pm Talking of "there can't be many..."; http://www.davidmarksgarages.co.uk/daimlercorsica_part1
I quite like that. It feels like a poor man’s Rolls Royce convertible.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Aye kind of makes you wish that Jaguar had kept making XJCs, an X300 XJR coupe would've been a cool thing.
An absolute unit