Today’s want

mik

Re: Today’s want

Post by mik »

Worked-on LS2.

clicks

No idea how accurate the numbers quoted are - look pretty optimistic at a glance but I don’t know the cam spec etc.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

mik wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:28 pm As noted earlier - bloke doing the Stratos build also has an Ultima. This isn’t helping my list for a UltimaRS.

Would you buy an Ultima Mik? Serious question as clearly you love a V8 :mrgreen:
mik

Post by mik »

I can’t afford one, but yeah - I really fancy the new RS.

800bhp, 930kg and 0-100mph in 4.8 seconds for £100k : what’s not to like?
OK maybe the lack of any electrickery safety nets or ABS, Bare bones interior, and the fact the chassis design is oooold. 🤔 But that’s why it’s £100k. 😎

I’m sure I would still be quicker x-country on-road in the Evora, but my imagination suggests the Ultima would be a huge event to drive.
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

mik wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:42 am I’m sure I would still be quicker x-country on-road in the Evora, but my imagination suggests the Ultima would be a huge event to drive.
I think it would be amazing for the first half an hour then it would get very wearing. Great as a track day/third or fourth car though
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
mik

Post by mik »

Delphi wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:04 pm
mik wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:42 am I’m sure I would still be quicker x-country on-road in the Evora, but my imagination suggests the Ultima would be a huge event to drive.
I think it would be amazing for the first half an hour then it would get very wearing. Great as a track day/third or fourth car though
Agreed. I think you’d soon tire of asking it to do daily-driver tasks like an Evora (or 911 etc).
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

mik wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:12 pm
Agreed. I think you’d soon tire of asking it to do daily-driver tasks like an Evora (or 911 etc).
It's definitely a Sunday morning blast kind of car. I could definitely see one as a second car like the Caterham. Or an Evora in fact. Available a lot cheaper than £100k too. One day :D
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah second hand ones are much cheaper, but if I am dreaming about owning one I’d also dream that I had the time to bolt a new one together. I think doing the self-build bit would be part of the fun.
mik

Post by mik »

Love these.

As stated on this twitter post, and on here previously : I have a huge soft spot for the Sunbeam Lotus. First wild p-ride in a car owned by the cousin of a girlfriend I had as a teen. He was a pretty handy wheelman and keen to show his car off. It was epic.
8-)

Love the colour scheme on this one.

nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Bwaaarp! 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:12 pm
What rubbish. You’d get in, flick the row of switches above your head for fuel pumps, lights, ignition etc. Flip the safety cover off the starter button and let it warm for a little while you adjust your harnesses.

Then pootle out all slow till the engine had started to warm through and the oil temp comes up.

A couple of miles later and the tyres are up a bit before you bury the throttle in 4th and reel the horizon in like a missile getting faster and faster 8-)

You can still fit shopping on the passenger seat and spec a heater so I fail to see a lack of cup holders.

Speedingfine - Do you remember the dark blue Ultima on the evo meet about 18 years ago ? He overtook me going uphill like I was going backwards and he barely had any revs on it. Plus I believe he buzzed me, Johnmad and the guy with a white S2 106 Rallye when leaving Oswestry.

If you have the opportunity to get one Mik I suggest you do, it will be an incredible event to drive.

Dave!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Today I am wanting this still....

I want a 3.4 996 C2, Ohlins suspension, 100litre fuel tank, lots of stuff stripped from the interior, air-con delete, electric power steering pump, the lightest wheels possible with sensible rear tyres that aren’t silly wide, a nice exhaust and a pair of lightweight race seats.

I’m not fussed about the power I want something to drive for long distances at a good average speed.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Did they run out of money to paint the bumpers?

I'm also confused as to what is meant by an 'electric power steering pump'. All hydraulic power steering pumps are power by electricity (either than or magic). Do you mean electric power steering and if so why - on account of weight?

ETA: Those fake fuchs are also likely far from the lightest wheels possible.
Last edited by GG. on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Driving long distance and air con delete. No ta.
GG.

Post by GG. »

No idea why anyone would buy that over a GT3 touring with a bulletproof mezger engine rather than a 3.4 litre open deck standard item (unless it is a LOT cheaper, I guess - given we've seen a mk1 GT3 at mid 50s, this would need to be £30k or less).

Sorry Dave :(
Last edited by GG. on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

GG. wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 am Did they run out of money to paint the bumpers?

I'm also confused as to what is meant by an 'electric power steering pump'. All hydraulic power steering pumps are power by electricity (either than or magic). Do you mean electric power steering and if so why - on account of weight?
No the power steering pump is normally powered by the engine from a belt.

It’s to remove a lump of weight from the rear of the car and put it to the front. Every little helps, the one in the picture is a homage to some racing 911 of old. I think from memory it was less than 1100kg and 340hp, which is pretty swift.

The more I read about the normal 996 the more impressed I am with it, especially it’s aerodynamics and how slippery it is.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

Got you, of course - no idea what I was thinking there.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

GG. wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:58 am No idea why anyone would buy that over a GT3 touring with a bulletproof mezger engine rather than a 3.4 litre open deck standard item (unless it is a LOT cheaper, I guess - given we've seen a mk1 GT3 at mid 50s, this would need to be £30k or less).

Sorry Dave :(
As the 3.4 is pretty bombproof and about 30k cheaper, you can make it GT3 PTW relatively cheaply by the sounds of things.

Also there are very very few sports cars you can fit 2 adults and 2 children in.

Dave!
GG.

Post by GG. »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:01 am
Also there are very very few sports cars you can fit 2 adults and 2 children in.

Dave!
That much is very true. If you have kids and don't have space for multiple cars it makes it very hard to look past a 911.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

1979 BMW 316 (E21) WITH E30 M3 TECHNIC https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1252788
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

nuttinnew wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:44 pm Image

1979 BMW 316 (E21) WITH E30 M3 TECHNIC https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1252788
I really like that despite the Alpina badges and mods being inconsistent with the M3 engine.

£33k though :shock: