Harry’s Garage

Jimmy Choo

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I ran out of fucks to give about the golf about 10 minutes in. It just doesn't interest or excite me.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Simon

Post by Simon »

The touchscreen on the Golf8 is an embarrassment. You should never have climate controls solely on a (slow) touch screen. Adding insult to injury is the fact that the UI looks like it was designed by a bunch of school children.

Consequently I have no desire whatsoever for that Golf. None.

VW seem to be continuing the flawed thinking of 'hey it's 2021, touchscreens are 'modern' and 'cool' so we should move all the controls to it', also whilst capitalising on the fact that now touchscreens are cheaper than designing and manufacturing a proper button/control set. Eurgh.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:20 pm I ran out of fucks to give about the golf about 10 minutes in. It just doesn't interest or excite me.
Have you driven one @Jimmy Choo

One of the best drives in mine was from Whitby to York over the moors being chased by a few motorbikes on a slightly damp day. The way it dealt with corners and slingshotted out left the bikes miles back. On the right road they are really really good but 90 percent of the time when you arent driving like a complete idiot they are pretty unremarkable.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Oh and I must add a friend of mine brought his mk7 around donington the other month and it was one of the fastest cars there (just under 500 bhp). I think it cost him 5k for the upgrades, maybe a totally different car after that. It did smoke a lot tho and he got black flagged :lol:
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Hopefully he'll get an S Class and see whether the screens have fucked that up too :lol: Matt Prior in Autocar certainly seemed to think so:

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Broccers wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:55 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:20 pm I ran out of fucks to give about the golf about 10 minutes in. It just doesn't interest or excite me.
Have you driven one @Jimmy Choo

One of the best drives in mine was from Whitby to York over the moors being chased by a few motorbikes on a slightly damp day. The way it dealt with corners and slingshotted out left the bikes miles back. On the right road they are really really good but 90 percent of the time when you arent driving like a complete idiot they are pretty unremarkable.
I'd much rather have an 7.5R
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Broccers wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:55 pm Have you driven one @Jimmy Choo
Nope and if there was one outside right now and I could either drive that or have a cuppa, I'd be getting the kettle on. It just doesn't inspire me.

I admire it greatly but it's just a bit "meh".
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The massive screens are a fucking joke. A few months ago in the Model 3 my dad couldn’t turn on his car. You need to enter a PIN number on the screen to turn it on but the screen was frozen. The car has no instruction manual as it’s a document accessed within the touchscreen - genius. A bit of Googling and it turns out you can press the 2 buttons on the steering wheel for a while and it does a reset. However at least it is responsive and not a laggy POS like Land Rover products which must be running on a 6 year old processor at best.

One shit thing is that the Model S courtesy car he had recently wasn’t that old - 5 years. However much like an old phone it had slowed down to the point where it just couldn’t handle the latest firmware. It took minutes for it to calculate a 100 mile route and every thing you touched took a few seconds to respond. However you can pay £1700 for an intel atom update so it is like the latest cars.

That’s right, a fucking intel atom processor in £40,000-120,000 cars.
How about not having a sig at all?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Mito Man wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:32 pm One shit thing is that the Model S courtesy car he had recently wasn’t that old - 5 years. However much like an old phone it had slowed down to the point where it just couldn’t handle the latest firmware. It took minutes for it to calculate a 100 mile route and every thing you touched took a few seconds to respond. However you can pay £1700 for an intel atom update so it is like the latest cars.

That’s right, a fucking intel atom processor in £40,000-120,000 cars.
:shock: :?
Beany

Post by Beany »

That's actually a good thing. The atom platform is well known, low power, extremely well supported and is used in a lot of industrial equipment as a result.

What do you expect, an i7 or a Xeon?

Every cpu in a critical system in a car is typically a decade old to iron out the bugs.

The real problem is software development not familiar with industrial style coding, which should be fast and stable before it's flashy and pretty.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Using old slow processors worked well on older cars which never had updates apart from bug fixes once in a blue moon at the dealership.
It doesn’t work as smoothly on something which gets over the air updates with increasing bloatware every month. The new generation Teslas will supposedly be able to play Cyberpunk so they should remain slick for day to day duties for many years judging by the performance whore that cyberpunk is :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Beany

Post by Beany »

"It doesn’t work as smoothly on something which gets over the air updates with increasing bloatware every month. "

It'd work just fine if the developers were capable of coding in a manner suitable for industrial design, and if thier product managers didn't have to deal with statements like 'our cars will play Cyberpunk' from the stoned sons of apartheid era mining magnates.
Simon

Post by Simon »

A major problem (with the older Teslas at least) is that they burn out the write cycles on their NAND chips, thanks to using them to write junk and logs pointlessly.

A Teslarati will be along in a minute to tell us all that we should just accept it because Musk is their hero and we're not worthy to own his products.
Simon

Post by Simon »

speedingfine wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:40 pm Hopefully he'll get an S Class and see whether the screens have fucked that up too :lol: Matt Prior in Autocar certainly seemed to think so:

At least the climate controls are pervasive across all menus in the S Class, staying permanently at the bottom of the screen no matter what you're doing. You still lose the tactile feedback of a button though, but it's better than the Golf.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Simon wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 pm A major problem (with the older Teslas at least) is that they burn out the write cycles on their NAND chips, thanks to using them to write junk and logs pointlessly.
What's kinda concerning is that I know that's a thing to avoid - if you have a raspberry pi, and you want to run something that has logs, you do NOT use an SD card because it'll die PDQ due to write cycles - you use USB storage for logs, and other write heavy applications.

How the 'brightest of the bright' at Tesla either weren't aware of this is utterly beyond me. Maybe they just didn't care, which seems far from impossible.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I bet in the future there will be lots of stories of devs and engineers trying to cobble stuff together for Teslas based on whatever madness Elon is spouting that day.

Reminds me of game dev Peter Molyneux. Never made a promise he could deliver on :lol:
An absolute unit
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve had more problems in work and in life with software and electronic 0-1 things than with anything mechanical. Which is crazy as I’m a mechanic :lol:

As with everything though, updates and industry will build around it and make these problems largely go away.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

Really enjoyed this one - engine builder bloke is superb 8-) .

And that LeMans is lovely. Special thing.

GG.

Post by GG. »

Think I'd be having a 7 litre if I were old Harry!

Also surprised to hear/remember that the 7.3l Zonda was only 550hp. Time marches on doesn't it.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

GG. wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:24 pm Think I'd be having a 7 litre if I were old Harry!

Also surprised to hear/remember that the 7.3l Zonda was only 550hp. Time marches on doesn't it.
That's a mid 90s motor though. The F50 at the same time was only just over 500hp.