Harry’s Garage

duncs500

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by duncs500 »

"If you've got some town work to do". SERIOUS TOWN WORK. :-D

I don't know what you lot are all moaning about, Lord M's videos are great. That one I particularly enjoyed, seems like one of the best Turbots.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 pm He's always used cars from dealers as well as his own and the 911 was the UK press car.
Exactly. He doesn’t buy new cars often enough to just review his own garage and produce a video every week. Motoring journalist reviewing new press cars: ooh, shocker; and he manages to review interesting classics as well from his contacts at dealers. Basically sourcing cars in the same way as Octane or Evo do.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:26 am "If you've got some town work to do". SERIOUS TOWN WORK. :-D

I don't know what you lot are all moaning about, Lord M's videos are great. That one I particularly enjoyed, seems like one of the best Turbots.
Got to agree. And I'm getting old now, I think I'd prefer a Turbo to a GT3. Especially that Turbo S. I'd have to try both though ;)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

speedingfine wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:29 am
duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:26 am "If you've got some town work to do". SERIOUS TOWN WORK. :-D

Got to agree. And I'm getting old now, I think I'd prefer a Turbo to a GT3. Especially that Turbo S. I'd have to try both though ;)
Saw an R on the way back from picking up the 'lise, that's just about perfect. I think they are giving the GT3 a Manuel again too though, so that would do me fine. It would be hard to choose the TurbotS over that.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve always preferred the turbo to the GT cars tbh. I’d have one
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

GT all the way for me.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

The way the Turbo just fucked off at a high rate of knots from the junction is a little bit alarming. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
GG.

Post by GG. »

Biggest single step up in horsepower between generations - quite something. I remember being amazed by 2.5s 0-60 in a Veyron and now this matches it. Massively prefer non DCR though and hate those wheels. The Carwow reviewed GT silver one with simpler wheels much more to my taste.

£170k is still a bit silly in my mind though. Will be interesting to see how many they sell at that price.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Oh, and Lord M is right about the plastic. It doesn't bother me that much around the vent, but at the back it looks cheap.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Interestingly, looking back at the configurator, they now offer sufficient customisation options (mit manuel also!) to get rid of the awkward rear end treatment and crap looking engine cover / high level light, put a dirty great big wing on the back and basically spec something which looks like a GT3 8-)

First generation since the 996.1 that looks better with the sport design bodykit. Shows how wrong they got the original design IMO - particularly after the 991.2 which looked brilliant. Sport design wing looks better than the weird looking one on the turbo too. Very odd.

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do?vi ... &userID=EG
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:37 am The way the Turbo just fucked off at a high rate of knots from the junction is a little bit alarming. :shock: :shock: :shock:
That captured just how clean and effortless it was to put down the speed. Would love a Turbo S and I still love his videos.
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Yeah, real world Veyron pace (unless you have somewhere you can reliably go 120+ safely) for sub £200k and that is usable daily is pretty damned impressive no matter how you cut it.
Marv

Post by Marv »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 am Oh, and Lord M is right about the plastic. It doesn't bother me that much around the vent, but at the back it looks cheap.
You'd think for £170k they'd make them from CF, or colour code them! The duct is a bit boring too. Surely they could make it a more interesting shape.

Interesting that the new Turbo has a bit more of an edge to the way it drives. That said, it doesn't appeal to me though. I'd rather have a Cayman GT4 and £100k change.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Obviously very impressive, but am I alone in not finding it desirable ?
Real-life Females
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

GG. wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:03 am Interestingly, looking back at the configurator, they now offer sufficient customisation options (mit manuel also!) to get rid of the awkward rear end treatment and crap looking engine cover / high level light, put a dirty great big wing on the back and basically spec something which looks like a GT3 8-)

First generation since the 996.1 that looks better with the sport design bodykit. Shows how wrong they got the original design IMO - particularly after the 991.2 which looked brilliant. Sport design wing looks better than the weird looking one on the turbo too. Very odd.

I absolutely adore the wheels on Harry's. Not sure I'd want to have centre-lock wheels on my own for purely practical reasons (bloody impossible to get them done up to the right torque at home), but they look stunning.
mik

Post by mik »

That is very impressive. Not sure if I desire one massively, but I do like it.

Great memories being created at the end of the vid for his grandson - that seat moves back quite a bit with the gees. 8-)
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:23 pm
GG. wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:03 am Interestingly, looking back at the configurator, they now offer sufficient customisation options (mit manuel also!) to get rid of the awkward rear end treatment and crap looking engine cover / high level light, put a dirty great big wing on the back and basically spec something which looks like a GT3 8-)

I absolutely adore the wheels on Harry's. Not sure I'd want to have centre-lock wheels on my own for purely practical reasons (bloody impossible to get them done up to the right torque at home), but they look stunning.

JIC, those wheels are stunning.

Just a quick straw poll, is there anyone on this forum that liked these? My BIL had them fitted to his 997 C4... I didn't have the heart to tell him they were awful :(

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Yeah, not a good looking wheel..
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Not a good looking wheel, and the rear doesn’t look central in the arch and the wheelbase is too short. Poor 997 ☹️
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

No, don't like.