Harry’s Garage

__CA__

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by __CA__ »

That was an interesting video, the first GT3 he didn't want to own, eek. It did look properly unruly on that B-road to Charlbury though :shock: It would be interesting to know how much difference tyres or geo would make.

I am undecided on his XJC rebuild, specifically the colour. It just seems way too modern and pearly for a car of that era, I think a 70s non-metallic colour would have been better. Equally I don't think the run-out Range Rovers in 70s colours work at all either.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

__CA__ wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:08 pm That was an interesting video, the first GT3 he didn't want to own, eek. It did look properly unruly on that B-road to Charlbury though :shock: It would be interesting to know how much difference tyres or geo would make.

I am undecided on his XJC rebuild, specifically the colour. It just seems way too modern and pearly for a car of that era, I think a 70s non-metallic colour would have been better. Equally I don't think the run-out Range Rovers in 70s colours work at all either.
Agree 100% on that green just not sitting right. Its gold shimmer just looks like bile to me. I think it would have looked far better in the deeper British racing green you see on the Aston Victor.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Amazingly, Harry's latest video (end of year round up) is 19th overall on Youtube at the moment. I'm looking forward to work on the Lambo in the new year.

Also, I have recently found myself walking into the garage at times and going "'Ello and welcome to anuvvah edition of 'Arry's Garage"
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:46 pm
Also, I have recently found myself walking into the garage at times and going "'Ello and welcome to anuvvah edition of 'Arry's Garage"
Funny, I find myself saying something along the lines of "Oh FFS, WHY IS THERE SO MUCH SHITE IN HERE??"

Wife reckons we can't through it away 😭.

D-days is coming though as we will need to get the MX5 in at some point.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I like colour of the jag, but not on that car. I think it would look better on something like a retropower restomod than his full restoration style standard bodywork and wheels rebuild.
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

scotta wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:16 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:00 pm
scotta wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:45 pm Interesting to hear he's keeping the wheels that are on it. I'm not on board with that decision.
I'm a bit the same, reserving judgement until I see them refinished. I'm not sure what else I'd go for though.
Yep difficult one. I just don't like those wheels. They look to fussy a design.

The retropower one looks spot on imo.
Shut the fuck up you twat - the wheels look spot on now he’s refurbed them.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I think the Jag looks great.

Was always my favourite car in his fleet and it probably still is.

He’s a better man than me for being able to resist the temptation to put a bunch of extra power into it and ruining it :lol:

Watched the 992 GT3 video yesterday too, have Porsche ruined the usp of the GT3 compared to the RS models? It all seems a bit too racecar too me.
An absolute unit
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

scotta wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:19 pm
scotta wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:16 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:00 pm

I'm a bit the same, reserving judgement until I see them refinished. I'm not sure what else I'd go for though.
Yep difficult one. I just don't like those wheels. They look to fussy a design.

The retropower one looks spot on imo.
Shut the fuck up you twat - the wheels look spot on now he’s refurbed them.
😂

They do look good now they’ve been refurbished. The whole car looks lovely but it also looks unusable compared to how it was before. You’d not want to drive it in the wet or winter now.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I like the Jag, though I think the green is a bit too modern for it, but I reckon its pretty good value for such a sorted car. I did like it when it was blue too though - and I'm pretty sure it used to sit a little lower - which suited it better.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I'm staggered that he bought it for £5k - and was using it fairly regularly pre refurb (albeit with a bit of cash spent sorting the suspension).

The restomod ones invariably seem to sit lower and on bigger wheels although to me his is at the sweet spot. Personally, I find the length of boot at the back a bit ungainly and I've never been quite as in love with the shape as some - but still a very well sorted car.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:12 am I'm staggered that he bought it for £5k - and was using it fairly regularly pre refurb (albeit with a bit of cash spent sorting the suspension).

The restomod ones invariably seem to sit lower and on bigger wheels although to me his is at the sweet spot. Personally, I find the length of boot at the back a bit ungainly and I've never been quite as in love with the shape as some - but still a very well sorted car.
Its sinking £67k into a £5k car that blows my mind.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Given that unrestored autos go for £45k, the manuals are hens-teeth rare, and his own personal feelings about the car - dropping £70k to make it damned near perfect to him to keep forever seems not unreasonable.

Edit: Although having it finished in the middle of winter, when he doesn't want to risk driving it through fear of salt, was a mistake though :lol:

I'm sure he's looking forward to spring....
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Harry's Car of the year 2021. Why he's releasing this video shortly after 2021 has actually finished and not a random date during 2021 is anyone's guess....

https://youtu.be/YitzdiNyITY
mik

Post by mik »

He’s always been a bit weird.
Marv

Post by Marv »

scotta wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:45 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:12 am I'm staggered that he bought it for £5k - and was using it fairly regularly pre refurb (albeit with a bit of cash spent sorting the suspension).

Its sinking £67k into a £5k car that blows my mind.
Evonomics by the founder of evo!

Anyway, I suspect 21m YouTube views in 2021 would pay for all the resto projects and the running costs for all his cars 👍
Oui, je suis un motard.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Maybe from the sponsor income, I can’t find the source just now but iirc you need around a thousand views to make $1 on YouTube. 20mil views equates to about £12k.
An absolute unit
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Circa £35k of YouTube income per year according to Social Blade https://socialblade.com/youtube/c/harrysgarage

Can probably at least double that with sponsorship.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I like the colour;

McSwede

Post by McSwede »

nuttinnew wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:13 pm I like the colour;

It looks ace!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Love the colour. Interior could be a bit more vibrant.

He said early in the video that he’d return to the colour but I don’t think he did - did I miss it?