Harry’s Garage

V8Granite

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:16 am You could see it was pretty ripe underneath in some of his earlier vids, and anyone who’s ever tried digging out rust will know what you can’t see is probably at least 5 times worse than what you can :lol:
Oh this many times over :lol:

When it says peekaboo through the paint then 99% of the time it’s because it’s getting cocky after eating half your car.

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

HarryM on PH.

"I knew all about the rust when I bought the car. I was about to back out when I realised it was bad, despite having a so called bare metal respray just 1200miles and 16 years previously. I then discovered in the extensive history file it was the actual Fulvia Zagato I had seen outside my parents house way back in the seventies, so I couldn't resist and we ended up doing a deal at a much reduced price.

I could have carried on running around in it as the rust isn't in an important structural area (the chassis around the spring hangers is fine) but it still niggled. I'm pressing ahead with the body restoration after we discovered the original orange paint during the strip down and I want to get it back to how I first saw it all those years ago in Birkenhead!"

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 307&i=1260

Is it just me or anyone else read Harry's PH tag (& old Ghibli #plate) as "M for Sir" not Mazer!?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

RobYob wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:43 pm Is it just me or anyone else read Harry's PH tag (& old Ghibli #plate) as "M for Sir" not Mazer!?
I think seeing it on Maseratis in the long term test section of Performance Car makes me read it as he intends it :lol:
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I can't believe Lord M is on Boatshoes and not on here. :(
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Another victim of individual panel respraying? I'll have to watch later!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The usual crusty e46 front wings by the look of it. Would have thought that on a cal where they’ve always been £20k+ cars they would have made the effort to blend it in a bit better.
Cheers, Harry
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Harry made an unusual comment about the gearbox still being notchy since the conversion.

It's the same gearbox but with the automated shift removed ?!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I just assumed that he meant the shifter mechanism itself was a bit stiff, as that would be new.

Anyway, liked the car. I can see final drive drops being a popular mod for modern sports cars in the future. Porsche especially seem to get criticised for long gearing a lot of the time.
An absolute unit
GG.

Post by GG. »

I was amazed at how cheap it was to do the conversion. I'd expect there to be a massive queue of CSL owners looking to do this and sod the originality... keep a box of the old bits to put it back if necessary.

The e60 M5 would be a great one to do too.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 am I just assumed that he meant the shifter mechanism itself was a bit stiff, as that would be new.

Anyway, liked the car. I can see final drive drops being a popular mod for modern sports cars in the future. Porsche especially seem to get criticised for long gearing a lot of the time.
Yes, sorry. That makes sense.
GG.

Post by GG. »

ZedLeg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 am Anyway, liked the car. I can see final drive drops being a popular mod for modern sports cars in the future. Porsche especially seem to get criticised for long gearing a lot of the time.
This would be very interesting but the one downside I guess is its a bit of a fudge in that it would make the car undriveable at motorway speeds.

If you shortened the final drive to put top speed on the 997 at say 150ish instead of 187, I'd guess 80ish mph in 6th would be >3.5k revs at which point the varioram kicks in making the typical 'wooor' noise the flat 6s are known for. That'd get tiring within about 5 minutes I'd guess and be disastrous for fuel economy.

The real solution is 're-gearing' and maintain a long 6th gear, sadly that would be a lot more expensive...
scotta

Post by scotta »

GG. wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:28 am I was amazed at how cheap it was to do the conversion. I'd expect there to be a massive queue of CSL owners looking to do this and sod the originality... keep a box of the old bits to put it back if necessary.

Paging @Marv
mik

Post by mik »

I always loved the CSL apart from the box which was a massive turn off. Which is why I looked at a manuel CS instead.

Marv's car is gorgeous, but if it is easy to change..... 8-)

it can't be shifter alone.... clutch and pedal Shirley..... and no dropping the final drive on anything never appealed for the cruising impact noted above. If there was a yearning void between ratios - ok - but otherwise I don't see the point having a moan about 4th being too long if you could be in 3rd.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Nathan wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:56 am Harry made an unusual comment about the gearbox still being notchy since the conversion.

They were always stiff. I remember someone describing it as knuckley back in the day.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:59 am
ZedLeg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 am Anyway, liked the car. I can see final drive drops being a popular mod for modern sports cars in the future. Porsche especially seem to get criticised for long gearing a lot of the time.
This would be very interesting but the one downside I guess is its a bit of a fudge in that it would make the car undriveable at motorway speeds.

If you shortened the final drive to put top speed on the 997 at say 150ish instead of 187, I'd guess 80ish mph in 6th would be >3.5k revs at which point the varioram kicks in making the typical 'wooor' noise the flat 6s are known for. That'd get tiring within about 5 minutes I'd guess and be disastrous for fuel economy.

The real solution is 're-gearing' and maintain a long 6th gear, sadly that would be a lot more expensive...
It’s depend on how you’re using it I guess.

Something like a Cayman GT4 which is likely to be part of a collection in future would be a good candidate imo.

I’m coming at this from the muscle car/drag racing point of view where swapping diffs is a couple of hours work and people do it all the time though, I’m sure it’s more complicated with modern cars :lol:
An absolute unit
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Carlos wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:33 am
Nathan wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:56 am Harry made an unusual comment about the gearbox still being notchy since the conversion.

They were always stiff. I remember someone describing it as knuckley back in the day.
I've only sat in E46 M3s but never driven one. TBF E46 330i manuals were not a great shift.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I had my e46 M3 for 5 years and 30k+ miles, I can't remember the gearshift being any specific notchy/knuckles/etc, so I'm assuming it was just a nice shift.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

GG. wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:28 am I was amazed at how cheap it was to do the conversion. I'd expect there to be a massive queue of CSL owners looking to do this and sod the originality... keep a box of the old bits to put it back if necessary.

Cheap?

Sounded bloody expensive to me considering the country is littered with scrapped e46s to knock a pedal box out of and m3 gearboxes are hardly rare.

If you want to you can even use a sprung aftermarket shift lever and don’t even have to drop the gearbox. Just unbolt all the smg stuff, stick in a manual pedal box, bolt on the softer and get the electronics recoded. Keen DIYer could probably do it in a weekend for about £500.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Bmw shifts always get stick for being a bit notchy. Everything on the internet says the last good shift they did was the 5 speed 3.0 e36 m3 box.

Personally I never had an issue with the evo 6 speeder which itself is virtually identical to the e46 box, but there are loads of threads of people complaining about them and trying various lotions and potions to make them smoother.
Last edited by integrale_evo on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Harry