Harry’s Garage

mik

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by mik »

Possibly too long new owner review of the Yaris.

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/yaris/my_yaris.htm
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Why on earth did he wait until January to try to buy one? You could place a factory order when the first reviews were out for delivery before March, FFS, and there were plenty already on their way which weren't allocated. It's not as if the initial reviews were anything other than gushing.

ETA: I used to quite like Jackal's stuff but WTF does he mean by 'wishing it had a slightly lower gearchange'? A lower-set gearlever? Lower gearing? A slower gearchange (doubtful)?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

The oily bits of Harry's Fulvia get some attention. Those pistons are very weird!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That engine is fascinating - are there two parallel surfaces anywhere?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Just got round to watching the Ferrari Roma video. I like it, although I would need to figure out how to turn off all those ridiculous noises (sounds like some of that lane assist etc was an option, so probably easy to get rid of a lot of it).

Interesting that Harry said you couldn't spec the shield on the flank and yet one of the cars he filmed (at Goodwood I guess) had them. :?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Well he likes that Huracan!!! It’s ageing really well and I was surprised at the size of it, makes it much more usable.

Dave!
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:43 pm Well he likes that Huracan!!! It’s ageing really well and I was surprised at the size of it, makes it much more usable.

Dave!
Still not got around watching that and the Roma video :?
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Drove out to Burford in search of the roads Harry drives and discovered the B4437. Lovely twisty stretch of tarmac.

Saw quite a few other Porsches, either a marker of road quality or just everyone around there is totally minted.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

They’re minted :lol: I stopped off there in a cafe a few months back with the gf. We lost count of the number of Porsches that went past, of all kinds.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

You found the right road then - the B4437 is indeed in his videos, and was the venue for many an Evo meet back in the early 2000s.

His route (after the noisy bit of road) is north through Burford from the A40, taking the A361 (right at the roundabout after the bridge), then right down the B4437 towards Charlbury. He does the launches from the minor road opposite the B4437. All very familiar 😃
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Yeah, I recognised the junction of the A361 and B4437 as the launch venue. There is still the odd spot of ice / frozen snow on the higher ground but it was a lovely dry day yesterday and got some cracking runs at the twisty bits.

I also drove through Harry’s Village (TM) and can confirm it’s a lovely bit of the world, the occasional low flying Hercules from Brize Norton aside - one went about 30 feet above my head!
Last edited by Explosive Newt on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

240PP wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:40 pm They’re minted :lol: I stopped off there in a cafe a few months back with the gf. We lost count of the number of Porsches that went past, of all kinds.
I counted at least 5, including something bespoilered and GT3 esque. All quite friendly, either with a flash of the headlights or a cheerful wave which surprised me at first!
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:26 am Yeah, I recognised the junction of the A361 and B4437 as the launch venue. There is still the odd spot of ice / frozen snow on the higher ground but it was a lovely dry day yesterday and got some cracking runs at the twisty bits.

I also drove through Harry’s Village (TM) and can confirm it’s a lovely bit of the world, the occasional low flying Hercules from Brize Norton aside - one went about 30 feet above my head!
Simon and I had lunch in the pub there, quite a few years ago now. Nice and cosy, not really big enough for a full meet 😄
Simon

Post by Simon »

A teeny tiny pub, big enough for an ov9 meet of about 4 people max...!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Bentley is surprisingly good. Lots of money tho.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Sharp intake of breath. Ooooooh newspaper. :cry:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Good to know it's not just us normies who go a little pale when that amount of rust is found :lol:
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

RobYob wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:16 am Sharp intake of breath. Ooooooh newspaper. :cry:
And lead loading, filler, paint, more filler, more paint. Well it's Italian! The amount of work it requires justifies Harry's change of colour, butI think it looks lovely in black even though it's not original.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

You could see it was pretty ripe underneath in some of his earlier vids, and anyone who’s ever tried digging out rust will know what you can’t see is probably at least 5 times worse than what you can :lol:
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am
RobYob wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:16 am Sharp intake of breath. Ooooooh newspaper. :cry:
And lead loading, filler, paint, more filler, more paint. Well it's Italian! The amount of work it requires justifies Harry's change of colour, butI think it looks lovely in black even though it's not original.
Agree on the black totally.