Harry’s Garage

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Jobbo »

You have a choice of nav apps. I use Google Maps because no matter how good the car's own nav, the traffic data simply isn't as good.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Waze has been brilliant since I downloaded it. It’s so much closer to arrival times than other ones I’ve used.

CarPlay in the Kia and it’s a game changer for me, absolutely brilliant as you don’t need to learn anything new. Plus all my music etc is on there and downloaded podcasts etc, very impressive.

Dave!
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 am It’s a shame that with Circuit Park there’s no SatNav, but that’s not a deal breaker.
The Toyota nav is bloody awful. I had a brand new RAV4 in Dec for a couple of weeks and the whole infotainment system is a joke.
Mark_bt52

Post by Mark_bt52 »

Presumably the CarPlay eats up your phone data though?
I don't see why they disabled the built in one for the circuit pack, what would be the reasoning behind it? The weight saving of the GPS module??

Looks like a good car, reminds me of the Spec-C which also had a stupidly high mounted non-height adjustable passenger seat.
Personally would have thought it is MORE geeky than a GT-R since no-one other than a geek is going to know or understand what it is.

Oh and the windscreen visibility is ridiculous. Bolt-on screens look worse each year.

Won't be getting one but very happy that it exists.
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The options pack thing is a right pain, especially not being able to pick missing bits and add them separately.

Maybe it was so they can prebuild a certain number or to help them streamline production to meet initial demand and may revise things in the future?
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:32 pm The options pack thing is a right pain, especially not being able to pick missing bits and add them separately.

Maybe it was so they can prebuild a certain number or to help them streamline production to meet initial demand and may revise things in the future?
WLTP probably. If you deviate the spec you need to retest every variation.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mark_bt52 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:24 pm Presumably the CarPlay eats up your phone data though?
I just have unlimited data on giffgaff, not worried about data useage in the last 10 years.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:09 pm
Mark_bt52 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:24 pm Presumably the CarPlay eats up your phone data though?
I just have unlimited data on giffgaff, not worried about data useage in the last 10 years.
Not necessarily a problem anyway - there are nav apps which download and store the maps rather than using your data to obtain them en route. Although whatever you use, traffic data needs to be live to be useful so that will use a bit of data - but I never ran out the free 3 SIM with 250MB per month of free data which I put in my Volvo for that purpose.
Mark_bt52

Post by Mark_bt52 »

Yes I have had Sygic with whole world offline maps for many years now.

So does CarPlay allow you to use any Android app rather than just a few specific ones?

EDIT, ah, I see its "Android Auto" and Google have only opened it up recently for 3rd party Nav apps. Sygic still beta it appears. Probably 99% works then.
Nissan GT-R / Audi S4./ BMW 530d
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Sygic on iOS certainly works on Carplay.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

It's in Cities where phone based Nav apps have let me down. Either the GPS fails temporarily so it doesn't know where you are or it gets confused and think's you're on a parallel road or, on occasion, thinks you're on the flyover and not the roads underneath etc. by the time it corrects itself, you've missed the junciton etc.

I had to rely on Google Maps nav on a trip to Birmingham a few years ago and It was a disaster.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:09 pm It's in Cities where phone based Nav apps have let me down. Either the GPS fails temporarily so it doesn't know where you are or it gets confused and think's you're on a parallel road or, on occasion, thinks you're on the flyover and not the roads underneath etc. by the time it corrects itself, you've missed the junciton etc.

I had to rely on Google Maps nav on a trip to Birmingham a few years ago and It was a disaster.
That'll be it.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

What's changed ???
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:34 pm What's changed ???
I use Google maps or BMW nav all the time (used to I suppose 😂) in cities and don't have any issue TBH.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Tbf I remember when I were a lad old phones had shit GPS accuracy, they would be off by 10 metres or so sometimes and you’d have to do that silly compass game to keep recalibrating them.
How about not having a sig at all?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:34 pm What's changed ???
Dunno but i find Google Maps more accurate and reliable than the fancy 3d SatNav that the M340I had. I stopped using the BMW system as out in the sticks it used random routes which would change the next time i went there. It was shite.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:09 pm It's in Cities where phone based Nav apps have let me down. Either the GPS fails temporarily so it doesn't know where you are or it gets confused and think's you're on a parallel road or, on occasion, thinks you're on the flyover and not the roads underneath etc. by the time it corrects itself, you've missed the junciton etc.

Birmingham's road system is constantly being messed around with due to the amount of development. Any built-in nav is going to be out of date very quickly whereas live maps such as Google will be updated for road closures and new one-way systems pretty much immediately.
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Yeah that time I got into trouble, there were massive roadworks going on. I do wonder if part of the issue is with my phone - a 6S so hardly cutting edge :lol:

Have you seen the MB Augmented Reality system - as you approach a Junction, the front camera comes on and projects the route onto the image in clear Blue Arrows. Very helpful for, say, getting into the correct lane for a turning.

One improvement on my current GLC vs an earlier C Coupe is you can now have Car Play enabled and connected but still use MB's Nav. in the C class, you couldn't use the inbuild nav if you had connected to car play
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:28 pm

Birmingham's road system is constantly being messed around with due to the amount of development. .
They're twats!! I stayed at the Jury's Inn on Broad Street a few times last year and the route getting there changed everytime I went. Invariably busting for a pee when I can't get to the bloody place. C*nts, the lot of them 😂
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

McSwede wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:43 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:28 pm

Birmingham's road system is constantly being messed around with due to the amount of development. .
They're twats!! I stayed at the Jury's Inn on Broad Street a few times last year and the route getting there changed everytime I went. Invariably busting for a pee when I can't get to the bloody place. C*nts, the lot of them 😂
You can't even drive down Broad Street now :lol:

Fortunately Google has sent out its Streetview minions down the pavements: https://goo.gl/maps/8nMr4NBkaXLZVhaK6