Harry’s Garage

Coaster1

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Coaster1 »

GG. wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:30 am I must say, the GR Yaris is a car I've changed my mind about. I initially had no desire for one when I saw the pictures and specs but it actually looks like a lot of fun.
Haven’t watched that many videos about the GR (Harry’s, Catchpole’s and maybe one other) but I like what I saw. I just don’t see a place for it though in my imaginary three car garage.
Matty wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:12 pm Well now I really want a Yaris GR.....
Would you say you have been influenced purely by the video? :P
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:35 am My dad called it an inheritance car which I agreed with once he expanded upon :lol:
“That’s the kind of car you buy with someone else’s money and not your own hard earned”
I like that :)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Coaster1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:44 am
GG. wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:30 am I must say, the GR Yaris is a car I've changed my mind about. I initially had no desire for one when I saw the pictures and specs but it actually looks like a lot of fun.
Haven’t watched that many videos about the GR (Harry’s, Catchpole’s and maybe one other) but I like what I saw. I just don’t see a place for it though in my imaginary three car garage.
If it had retained 5 doors maybe I could have sold my wife on one for the school run :twisted:
Foz

Post by Foz »

My mates ordered one, arriving June I think, it’s replacing his E46 330i coupe
😂
scotta

Post by scotta »

GG. wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:46 am
Coaster1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:44 am
If it had retained 5 doors maybe I could have sold my wife on one for the school run :twisted:
Order one then plead ignorance once it arrives "I'm as surprised as you dear - all the other ones on the website are five door"
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

And me. They appear to be a hoot to drive and if you think of it in terms of performance the competition is an Alpine, Cayman etc they look a bargain. More practical too like a 911 C4 at a third of the price with a 5 year warranty.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Carlos wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:19 pm
And me. They appear to be a hoot to drive and if you think of it in terms of performance the competition is an Alpine, Cayman etc they look a bargain. More practical too like a 911 C4 at a third of the price with a 5 year warranty.
Sounds like you've already formulated a convincing case Carlos, you make it sound like one would be a fool not to buy one! :D
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

duncs500 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:29 pm
Carlos wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:19 pm
Sounds like you've already formulated a convincing case Carlos, you make it sound like one would be a fool not to buy one! :D
Its the first time since i was 16 that i don't have a car so all sorts of nonsense is going through my head lol

I'm trying not to buy another until work returns to some sort of normality and i'll use it. Although i did bid on a Phaeton after too many beers the weekend, thankfully i didn't get it.
dan

Post by dan »

I loved the Yaris since the day it was announced, i'm even more pleased its turned out so well. I'd love one one day.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:35 am My dad called it an inheritance car which I agreed with once he expanded upon :lol:
“That’s the kind of car you buy with someone else’s money and not your own hard earned”
You missed his subtext then? When is yours arriving?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Must admit I’m disappointed by the noise inside at full chat, it sounds like a super low bit rate mp3 with the sound all just mushing together. The offbeat growl during the low speed stuff sounds great.
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

It looks like great fun, it’s such good value for money aswell.

Dave!
KiwiDave
Currently Driving: GT86

Post by KiwiDave »

We had our annual Toyota Festival over the weekend and there were quite a few GR Yaris' tooling around on the track and skid pan. Utterly inaudible from the outside but very, very quick. Same lap times at the hands of a mere mortal as the 86 race cars were doing driven by pro drivers.

NZ's main engineer fella took his to a hill climb event a few weekends ago and it scored fourth overall behind a few high power hillclimb specials and ahead of a lot of fully prepped cars (Evos etc) despite being totally stock.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

It’s a shame that with Circuit Park there’s no SatNav, but that’s not a deal breaker.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 am It’s a shame that with Circuit Park there’s no SatNav, but that’s not a deal breaker.
if it has apple carplay/Android whatever then who cares about inbuilt satnav.

Cruise control seems odd on the circuit pack (though maybe the radar kit was already there for collision warning?)
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:31 am
Coaster1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:24 am It’s a shame that with Circuit Park there’s no SatNav, but that’s not a deal breaker.

Cruise control seems odd on the circuit pack (though maybe the radar kit was already there for collision warning?)
I think it has CarPlay hasn’t it? Can Google map / waze etc be viewed via the screen? I don’t own modern cars so I don’t know.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Coaster1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:35 am
Rich B wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:31 am

I think it has CarPlay hasn’t it? Can Google map / waze etc be viewed via the screen? I don’t own modern cars so I don’t know.
yes, that's one of the main features of CarPlay. You can have whatever satnav you like full screen with all the associated features and graphics (+anything else like phone/ Spotify/ etc). It's a great system, and one of the few modern things I'd actually pay extra to retro fit when I go back to older cars.

I have it on the golf and I wouldn't even consider using the inbuilt vw satnav
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Arrrr ok, so that’s a non-issue then 👍

I thought one has to stick a phone up on the windscreen or air vent :oops:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Carplay is an absolute necessity on whatever I have next. Once you get used to it, the inbuilt nav is inevitably inferior; phone software updates all the time, car firmware is set probably a year before launch and stays the same until the facelift, usually. Tesla being the notable exception.

One of my friends has a GR on order, but he's specced the convenience pack. That has:
JBL® Premium Sound System
8 Speakers
Toyota Touch® 2 with Go Navigation
Voice recognition
Front & rear parking sensors
Rear Cross Traffic Alert with Brake Assist (RCTA-B)
Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)
Head Up Display (HUD)
Illuminated entry system
UV Windscreen

The only thing I think would be useful in that is the parking sensors, because the body is quite bulbous below the window line. Circuit pack all day for me.
ETA: but if they'd thrown in a rear wiper with the convenience pack, maybe I'd have been swayed... :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Agreed in CarPlay Jobbo but still don’t rate the Nav app as anywhere near Mercs own one - the augmented reality bit is a cool new addition which I reckon would be a great help driving in a new city
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…