LR Evoque P300e

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by IanF »

Cheers,

Ian
mik

Post by mik »

According to forum Esprit knowledgeables - his rear hatch struts are mounted upside down.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

Oh no he didn't just say wastegate chatter!! :evil:

But fair play to Harry, he absolutely loves that car doesn't he!
Simon

Post by Simon »

No white Esprit Turbo is complete without a 'burglar protected' sticker in the window...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
tim

Post by tim »

Best car in the collection. 8-)
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I'd been looking forward to that video since he posted pictures of the car on Instagram. It was also useful because I now know that if I ever buy an Esprit, I'll need to get one with a sunroof to be able to drive it :lol:.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

(Our) Harry will be along shortly to explain how far it needs to be lowered. :)

I loved the Esprit Turbo back in the day, but kinda lost interest in them when the Stevens car finally got a (albeit flat plane crank) V8.

Mag reviews at the time mentioned the weight increase of tbe later cars, but I didnt appreciate the magnitude back then.

HarryM seems rather elated by this purchase. If I got one - it would have to look like this. (And not just because of the tyre text ;) )

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They do look good on airbags ;)

An absolute unit
scotta

Post by scotta »

Great video again. Dont like the adverts however may be a necessary evil to make the revenue.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

It does seem to ride oddly high, doesn't it.

+1 one on the Burglar Protected sticker 8-)
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It does indeed need lowered 😂

I really like the early esprit, but not totally convinced by the looks of the hc, the extra bits all look rather tacked on. I prefer the cleaner lines and black bumpers like the one he kept showing a still of with chapman. The bit of wobbly rubber glued down the side and around the arches is particularly horrible and needs to go in the bin no matter how original it is!

When saying how light it was I was expecting well under a ton, I thought 1140kg or whatever was pretty tubby considering it's a two seater with lightweight spaceframe chassis and fibreglass body.
Cheers, Harry
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Lovely vid, really enjoyed watching that. Found out this evening, whilst chatting to the neighbour, that he built the barn at Harry's place...doesn't seem right to go into details but the neighbour had an issue with his car which the dealer wouldn't sort, Harry got involved and it was fixed fairly promptly. Top chap :)
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 pm
When saying how light it was I was expecting well under a ton, I thought 1140kg or whatever was pretty tubby considering it's a two seater with lightweight spaceframe chassis and fibreglass body.
Exactly that Harry, and was then amazed they snuck another 200 kgs of crap into the Stevens-era one.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Oh wow! One of Harry's best. I think I'd have that over pretty much anything else
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Superb film, talk about passion for the older motors :)

Know those roads well, local to me - some epic pot holes around here at the moment so to drive that, talk and avoid all manner of holes is deeply impressive.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I wonder if pot holes are as bad on those cars with those balloon like tyres. I laughed at the part in the video when he was talking about them moving to a lower profile tyre and it was still something like 60.
An absolute unit
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

True, in terms of rim damage (so to speak) 60 profile would certainly help. That bit where he did the hill start is a nasty piece of road, too. Drivers come over the crests either side of that junction and appear in a moment. The confidence he has through experience is deeply impressive.
JLv3.0

Post by JLv3.0 »

I'll be even more hated than normal for saying this, but there's something about the Miura that leaves me, if not cold, but only lukewarm at best. I think it's because it crosses that line where old cars were just ready to blow up all the time rather than being old-but-still-awesome, which I think for me happened in the mid-70s or so.

A fantastic vid of course and I've never seen Harry so smitten with any car, but every time he went over a bump, or changed gear, or gave it some revs, I was wincing waiting for the bang. And at GBP 1.3m or so, it's just too bloody valuable to be fragile!