Harry’s Garage

GG.

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by GG. »

Its a disappointing vision of the future isn't it.

Movies - real whhhhmmmm noise made by anti gravity drive.
Real Life - fake whhhmmmm noise made by speaker from cheap South Korean milk float.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:07 pm Just passed by a electric Kona, it was making a cool sound to alert pedestrians, sounded very star warsy 😂
Is this something common amongst electric cars? I was driven home from the pub on Saturday night by a friend in a 2018 Leaf, and it didn't make enough noise to worry the fawn wandering down the road in front of us.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It's a relatively recent legislation (maybe 2019) that electric cars have to do it at low speed.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Simon wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:08 pm It's a relatively recent legislation (maybe 2019) that electric cars have to do it at low speed.
Yes and even the frequency content and level is somewhat proscribed by the legislation. So they all might sound that crap in 2021.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

GG. wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:40 pm Its a disappointing vision of the future isn't it.

Movies - real whhhhmmmm noise made by anti gravity drive.
Real Life - fake whhhmmmm noise made by speaker from cheap South Korean milk float.
Yes that’s exactly what it sounds like - I was expecting a hovering car and was then immediately disappointed when I looked up.
They ought to make the pedestrian alert user selectable - I’d roll up past the beer garden with The Imperial March playing :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Simon

Post by Simon »

RobYob wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:46 pm
Simon wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:08 pm It's a relatively recent legislation (maybe 2019) that electric cars have to do it at low speed.
Yes and even the frequency content and level is somewhat proscribed by the legislation. So they all might sound that crap in 2021.
Boom!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

The Hyundai one sounded nothing like that.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’ve heard the Hyundai one as it was being used for school runs by someone local. It’s louder than our ML so I fail to see the point.

Electric cars being silent around town surely has to be one of the benefits.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:01 pm I’ve heard the Hyundai one as it was being used for school runs by someone local. It’s louder than our ML so I fail to see the point.

Dave!
What would David Prowse say?
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

He would laugh at the lack of lasers and do a rolling burnout away in a black on black on black Chevy of some sort.

He told me.

True story.

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:01 pm I’ve heard the Hyundai one as it was being used for school runs by someone local. It’s louder than our ML so I fail to see the point.

Dave!
Safety risk. I scoffed too ‘til I wandered out in front of an electric car whilst walking the dogs (Not on a public road - within a “private” estate).
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve spent many many times driving at 1 mph behind dog walkers on country roads because the i3 made no noise and using the horn is inappropriate! The worst was 10 minutes behind a pair of horses as I had no way to safely alert them and they wouldn’t look behind.
Also they’re not very old people or disabled friendly so it’s one of those things which really is needed.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I must say I've noticed how easy it is to spook peds, in the EV, cyclists have no idea you're there either :lol:

The financial argument for an EV vs small ICE car is hard to justify still, but there are many benefits that you won't appreciate until you try an EV, as long as you don't expect one to be fun/EVO involvement. I love mine day to day, its so easy to use, quiet, smooth etc.

Then I go out in the old Civic and even that old nag brings a smile to my face. So much that I'm waiting on a quote to get it refurbed enough so I can have another run at Scotland (bushes, engine mounts, intake etc - just had a nice ally rad fitted).
mik

Post by mik »

Barry wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:02 pm
Then I go out in the old Civic and even that old nag brings a smile to my face. So much that I'm waiting on a quote to get it refurbed enough so I can have another run at Scotland (bushes, engine mounts, intake etc - just had a nice ally rad fitted, check window winding mechs).
Edited due to bad memories / scars.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:27 pm I’ve spent many many times driving at 1 mph behind dog walkers on country roads because the i3 made no noise and using the horn is inappropriate! The worst was 10 minutes behind a pair of horses as I had no way to safely alert them and they wouldn’t look behind.
Also they’re not very old people or disabled friendly so it’s one of those things which really is needed.
Should install a pleasant sounding bicycle bell or Noddy horn.
Barry

Post by Barry »

mik wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:10 pm
Barry wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:02 pm
Then I go out in the old Civic and even that old nag brings a smile to my face. So much that I'm waiting on a quote to get it refurbed enough so I can have another run at Scotland (bushes, engine mounts, intake etc - just had a nice ally rad fitted, check window winding mechs).
Edited due to bad memories / scars.
I just remember never to open the nearside window :lol:

It's getting new lower wishbones, engine mount, clearances adjusted, and if I can justify a CAI.. then pointed at Scotland in October (where I suspect there'll be limited chances to lower the windows anyway).
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Pete_ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:13 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:27 pm I’ve spent many many times driving at 1 mph behind dog walkers on country roads because the i3 made no noise and using the horn is inappropriate! The worst was 10 minutes behind a pair of horses as I had no way to safely alert them and they wouldn’t look behind.
IIRC exiges said that his Ampera had two horns. One was quite friendly and was to alert pedestrians.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Pete_ wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:13 pm
Of full on dukes of Hazard air horns

GG.

Post by GG. »

Has anyone seen this?

I lol'd when I heard him say it's owned by 'a farmer friend of his'... its Clarkson's GTV6 from the Grand Tour.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

GG. wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 pm I lol'd when I heard him say it's owned by 'a farmer friend of his'... its Clarkson's GTV6 from the Grand Tour.
:D Not watched Harry’s video yet, I watched the DriveTribe one the other day; didn’t click that it’s the same car when I saw Harry’s on my YouTube feed. :D