Harry’s Garage

DaveE

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by DaveE »

The BMW has a battery capacity of 80kWh

For comparison, the Tesla Model 3 (long range) is 75kWh

And according to Autocar, the Model 3 has a 'real world' range of about 220 miles

Not a huge difference Vs the BMW then...
Holley

Post by Holley »

I know it's not really forum etiquette to provide real personal experience, so forgive me.

Took the Model 3 LR on a road trip to Bath a couple of weeks ago. Left our home (3 up and full of luggage) in Bedfordshire showing 341 miles of range, around 9c outside temp and mostly using the M1, M25 and M3. Quite traffic heavy and speed limit variations where between 60-70mph. Heating was on the whole time. Stopped off at Norton Park Hotel which was 112 miles and the Tesla was showing 190 miles range left at that point. So had 'lost' 39 miles at that distance which I didn't think was too bad.

Used the supercharger at the Hotel, so didn't bother calculating further. But I think it's safe to assume an easy 250 miles of range which I thought was pretty impressive for mostly motorway driving with the heating on and coldish outside temp.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

DaveE wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:46 am The BMW has a battery capacity of 80kWh

And according to Autocar, the Model 3 has a 'real world' range of about 220 miles

Was Harry not saying that the real range of the M4 was significantly worse than the predicted 200-and-something miles from a full charge though? Maybe I need to rewatch it.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Holley wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:58 am I know it's not really forum etiquette to provide real personal experience, so forgive me.

Took the Model 3 LR on a road trip to Bath a couple of weeks ago. Left our home (3 up and full of luggage) in Bedfordshire showing 341 miles of range, around 9c outside temp and mostly using the M1, M25 and M3. Quite traffic heavy and speed limit variations where between 60-70mph. Heating was on the whole time. Stopped off at Norton Park Hotel which was 112 miles and the Tesla was showing 190 miles range left at that point. So had 'lost' 39 miles at that distance which I didn't think was too bad.

Used the supercharger at the Hotel, so didn't bother calculating further. But I think it's safe to assume an easy 250 miles of range which I thought was pretty impressive for mostly motorway driving with the heating on and coldish outside temp.
My dad was telling me that if you supercharge and drive straight after it pretty much does the actual range. Most of the range loss is due to a cold battery, so on a road trip you will get 300+ miles per charge on the motorway once its all up to temp.
How about not having a sig at all?
Holley

Post by Holley »

Mito Man wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:39 pm
Holley wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:58 am I know it's not really forum etiquette to provide real personal experience, so forgive me.

My dad was telling me that if you supercharge and drive straight after it pretty much does the actual range. Most of the range loss is due to a cold battery, so on a road trip you will get 300+ miles per charge on the motorway once its all up to temp.
That's interesting as I had added a supercharger stop on the sat nav before setting off and could hear the battery pre conditioning (thought it was odd it was doing that at the start of the journey but perhaps did help with the range).
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

DaveE wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:46 am The BMW has a battery capacity of 80kWh

I think the base model 3's real world range is 220, the LR's real world is nearer 300.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Ja, 220 is real world 60kWh battery sort of range no matter the manufacturer.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

911 Turbo Spanish road trip 8-)

As the comments say, always going to be a good one if Harry starts the video with a paper map :mrgreen:
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

13mpg :lol: That's about, what, 60p per mile at current fuel costs? I've had cars with TCO less than 60p per mile!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Range of his 911 Turbo is well under 200 miles. Maybe he should revisit the i4 M50 review 😄
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Not sure about the fuel injection on the 930 but old turbo engines generally just throw loads of fuel into the engine to make sure it doesn't run lean on boost. Could be broken though :lol:
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, I was reading a sign in an early esprit turbo yesterday and mentioned something like mpg.

Does make you wonder how much better they’d be to own and drive with a little bit more compression and modern injection and management.

I guess most are used so little that they just put up with it.
Cheers, Harry
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

They did that on Roadkill Garage, bought an old Fox platform Thunderbird turbo and tried to make the same power numbers as a modern ecoboost with a new turbo and some other bits. They managed it iirc which wasn't bad for a standard pinto block.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:22 pm

As the comments say, always going to be a good one if Harry starts the video with a paper map :mrgreen:
I love those wheels. One to watch this evening.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Broccers wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:00 am
speedingfine wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:22 pm

I love those wheels. One to watch this evening.
Very good. Especially interesting as was going to do a similar drive before the covid. Looking at ferry prices with cabins it's over a grand. I'm sure it was 650 before which with fuel chucked in is going to be an expensive holiday currently.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Broccers wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:13 am Very good. Especially interesting as was going to do a similar drive before the covid. Looking at ferry prices with cabins it's over a grand. I'm sure it was 650 before which with fuel chucked in is going to be an expensive holiday currently.
It’s one of the reasons why I always use the Eurotunnel to go to Spain, plus I never sleep well on a ferry -
Even at current prices I’d prefer £200 for the train, £200 overnight in France (1 on the way, 1 on the way back) £300 in extra fuel.
Leave the UK on an early train and you can drive straight through to San Sebastián for dinner if you’re committed!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Jimexpl wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:15 am
Broccers wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:13 am Very good. Especially interesting as was going to do a similar drive before the covid. Looking at ferry prices with cabins it's over a grand. I'm sure it was 650 before which with fuel chucked in is going to be an expensive holiday currently.
It’s one of the reasons why I always use the Eurotunnel to go to Spain, plus I never sleep well on a ferry -
Even at current prices I’d prefer £200 for the train, £200 overnight in France (1 on the way, 1 on the way back) £300 in extra fuel.
Leave the UK on an early train and you can drive straight through to San Sebastián for dinner if you’re committed!
There's a chap on PH who says he does the crossing to Caen and drives to the Algarve in a day from there. That's ~1200 miles so quite a long day. I do like the Caen crossing though; Portsmouth is much easier to get to than Plymouth or Dover from most of the UK and you have a night's sleep, early start in France and again from a more convenient location to head SW; no need to circumnavigate Paris and avoid the first couple of hundred miles along the Normandy autoroutes.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I wonder if these chaps ever mention fuel….

It’s a stunning car and a great channel in general.

Harry’s 930 is visibly perfect, such an awesome car to have in the collection but that mpg would be me off for range issues alone, I’m sure some kind of racing bag tank could be had with 120 litres of capacity or something.

Dave!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Jimexpl wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:15 am
This looks a better option but maybe a bit tiring for old folks :lol:
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

I do like the driftworks channel, Craig’s pajero evo v8 is mega, love his Aston too.

Never heard anything about fuel, just Phil trying to get his cars to a stupidly low ride height