Harry’s Garage

Mito Man

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Mito Man »

The new track/drift package on them looks cool - quite expensive but if you want an electric car that drifts you need to spend 3x as much and get the Porsche. Pretty useless in real life though.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:10 am The new track/drift package on them looks cool - quite expensive but if you want an electric car that drifts you need to spend 3x as much and get the Porsche. Pretty useless in real life though.
$5500 for different wheels/tyres and brake pads?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Not that bad for a set of forged wheels, cup tyres, a brake fluid change, new pads and a chap to come round and fit it. Comes with the track software to control power between the motors and telemetry stuff.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:21 pm Not that bad for a set of forged wheels, cup tyres, a brake fluid change, new pads and a chap to come round and fit it. Comes with the track software to control power between the motors and telemetry stuff.
is it an upgrade for existing cars then? (And do you then keep your existing wheels/tyres too)?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:29 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:21 pm Not that bad for a set of forged wheels, cup tyres, a brake fluid change, new pads and a chap to come round and fit it. Comes with the track software to control power between the motors and telemetry stuff.
is it an upgrade for existing cars then? (And do you then keep your existing wheels/tyres too)?
Yes it’s an upgrade for the dual motor performance, and I believe you keep your wheels, haven’t read anything that says otherwise. Still don’t know UK prices though.
Rumour has it they may end up giving the software out for free and only charge for the physical items
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:17 pm
Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:10 am The new track/drift package on them looks cool - quite expensive but if you want an electric car that drifts you need to spend 3x as much and get the Porsche. Pretty useless in real life though.
$5500 for different wheels/tyres and brake pads?
Same RRP as the M2 Forged Wheel options.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:39 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:29 pm
Yes it’s an upgrade for the dual motor performance, and I believe you keep your wheels, haven’t read anything that says otherwise. Still don’t know UK prices though.
Rumour has it they may end up giving the software out for free and only charge for the physical items
I like those sliding scales!
Left over crest; tightens.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

That screen is hateful, nothing upmarket or smart about that at all.

Dave!
Simon

Post by Simon »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 pm That screen is hateful, nothing upmarket or smart about that at all.

Dave!
Word. I can't fathom those people who think that a single screen is the right place to put all information and deal with all interactions. It's ridiculous.

They put a screen in the Model 3 because it's cheap to do and it's one less thing to physically swap designwise when converting from LHD to RHD.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Yet Harry hails it as a great thing to use in reality. Have you tried it?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm Yet Harry hails it as a great thing to use in reality. Have you tried it?
Sat in a work colleague's, yes. Haven't actually driven it though, but I'm not sure that's so different. At the end of the day how can, say, adjusting the aircon be easier in that than with tactile buttons that I can place my hand on with muscle memory and feel?
Barry

Post by Barry »

My Ioniq has a central 10" screen for nav/media/info, but retains the main dash for the usual important stuff. That feels more natural in use. I wouldn't want to have to shift my eyes to the centre to get important info tbh, too much time shifting gaze from the road. Never liked the MINI for that tbh.
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is where the Golf 8 has gone wrong. All the climate controls etc have moved to the touch screen. It's a backwards step (and touch screens look crap with greasy fingerprints after 10 minutes).
Barry

Post by Barry »

Simon wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 pm This is where the Golf 8 has gone wrong. All the climate controls etc have moved to the touch screen. It's a backwards step (and touch screens look crap with greasy fingerprints after 10 minutes).
Again, the Ioniq follows this silly trend, touch controls for all major heating/fan controls. Thankfully I'm not a fiddler, set it and leave it etc but still a silly decision to do that. The only tactile control is the radio on/vol which is a physical dial, despite the fact I have steering wheel controls for that anyway.. :roll:
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Rich B wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:16 pm Yet Harry hails it as a great thing to use in reality. Have you tried it?
I’ve tried it in an S, it was just a big distracting blob and even at its lowest light level there was too much going on with the screen. It was like a passenger watching a movie while you drive, very distracting.

I’m in favour of simple buttons and a head up display, I found the one on an e61 not distracting at all even though it was directly in your eyeline.

Dave!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I loved the way it picked up all the vehicles around you in Harry's vid, pretty impressive.

Model 3 looks like a much more viable proposition than any of the other EVs I've watched vids on. The other companies have got a lot of catching up to do.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Having driven the Model 3 i really liked it. The screen in the middle with the speed display i wasn't that keen on though. They should offer a HUD option. Couldnt comment on the glare from the screen at night though - i imagine that could be distracting unless there is a dark mode to invert the colours.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Guy with a Model £ did a track day in his a few weeks back. I wasnt there but here is his thoughts.

Simon

Post by Simon »

scotta wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:49 am Having driven the Model 3 i really liked it. The screen in the middle with the speed display i wasn't that keen on though. They should offer a HUD option. Couldnt comment on the glare from the screen at night though - i imagine that could be distracting unless there is a dark mode to invert the colours.
Musk has said that he doesn't like HUDs (therefore Tesla won't have them) despite lots of owners on the forums clammering for one.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

715 bhp! Bonkers.

I love its look, a lot nicer than the coupe that appeared at Harry’s Garage a while ago, perhaps it’s the colour?

No place in my Euromillions garage though; just no use for it.