Harry’s Garage

Marv

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Marv »

GG. wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:16 pm

A little effusive on this one...

I must say - I need back seats and have an emotional attachment to my 911 but this is seriously tempting.

Funny times ‘cause there is now no way I’d buy a 992 over this GTS.
Yep, Boxster GTS 4.0 is far lighter than the 992, just as good looking (if not better looking) has a nice big naturally aspirated engine and much more compact too. As such, a much more desirable package to my eyes.
Oui, je suis un motard.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

It does seem to be the sweet spot of the Porsche range just now.

I wonder if there’s space for them to do a smaller 4 seat coupe under the boxman with the 4 parper.

Either front of rear engined, they’ve done both in their history.
An absolute unit
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

That was a great watch (as always) and probably one of the best bits of PR Porsche will get for that car!

Looks like an absolute peach and great to see after their less-than-inspiring engine choices in recent models.
Cheers,

Mike.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Nice Boxster but a bit mad to spend £75k on one.
M235i
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

That’s a lovely thing. £30k cheaper than the base Carrera he said. What’s the cheapest second hand 4.0 Porsche?
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

I’m not an open-top lover so I’d always take the Cayman over this, but I like it. 8-) And it sounds lovely.

£1600 extra for DCR is criminal.

Glad Harry mentioned the speedo. Porsche analog one is crap, but as a general rule - I’d take a big analog Rev counter with a digital speedo every day of the week.

Manuel is great. Less keen on the auto-blip.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

mik wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:49 pm I’m not an open-top lover so I’d always take the Cayman over this, but I like it. 8-) And it sounds lovely.
Spot on Mik. Still hopeful of getting mine at the end of November/earl December. :D
mik

Post by mik »

Sounds like a good buy Paul. Feel free to share your chosen spec 8-)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

It's a Cayman GTS 4.0 which has a few desirable extras included as you'll be aware, but apart from that mine will be pretty poverty spec. compared with most. Apart from Miami Blue paint at about £1600 :roll: , the only other things I've spent on are front and rear parking sensors, (it will be in a single garage), Miami blue seat belts to lift the interior a little and the smokers pack - even though I've never smoked.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

PaulJ wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:11 pm It's a Cayman GTS 4.0 which has a few desirable extras included as you'll be aware, but apart from that mine will be pretty poverty spec. compared with most. Apart from Miami Blue paint at about £1600 :roll: , the only other things I've spent on are front and rear parking sensors, (it will be in a single garage), Miami blue seat belts to lift the interior a little and the smokers pack - even though I've never smoked.
Nice one Paul, that sounds awesome. Is it actually called Miami Blue, and is it anything like 205 GTI colour? :D

Edit - I have now discovered it is not :(
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:26 pm
PaulJ wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:11 pm It's a Cayman GTS 4.0 which has a few desirable extras included as you'll be aware, but apart from that mine will be pretty poverty spec. compared with most. Apart from Miami Blue paint at about £1600 :roll: , the only other things I've spent on are front and rear parking sensors, (it will be in a single garage), Miami blue seat belts to lift the interior a little and the smokers pack - even though I've never smoked.
Nice one Paul, that sounds awesome. Is it actually called Miami Blue, and is it anything like 205 GTI colour? :D

Edit - I have now discovered it is not :(
It is called Miami blue, but is due to go off the optional colour list at the end of the year, to be replaced by a different blue I'm told. In Porsche terms this means you can still have it but it would be a 'colour to sample' choice and cost about £3k! As for the similarity to the 205 blue I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised...
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:49 pm I’m not an open-top lover so I’d always take the Cayman over this, but I like it. 8-) And it sounds lovely.

£1600 extra for DCR is criminal.

Glad Harry mentioned the speedo. Porsche analog one is crap, but as a general rule - I’d take a big analog Rev counter with a digital speedo every day of the week.

Manuel is great. Less keen on the auto-blip.
All of this except for going topless.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Awesome Paul.

Such high praise from Harry M on the GTS, and I don’t think Harry is a Porsche fanboy as such despite all the ECOTY wins.

310lb/ft is the same as mine on dyno, only mine is almost 100kg heavier :o 1280 kg is pretty damn good these days for a car without fancy carbon construction.

I’ll have a Boxster please in aventurine green metallic.
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

Porsche GTS 4.0 is surely the better car than 2.5 S. However, in most parts of the world, taxes on these 2 cars differ significantly.
For instance in Flanders :
GTS Registration tax 10453 Eur, plus yearly road tax 2631 Euro
2.5 S Registration tax 3530 Euro, plus yearly road tax 694 Euro
Nobody likes to pay taxes.
Therefore and unfortunately, I don's think we will see a lot of GTS 4.0's on Belgian roads.
Paying 7000 Euro on options is not really a problem, paying 7000 Euro extra on registration taxes hurts like hell
mik

Post by mik »

Ouch. An extra €2k annually for road tax would be quite a turnoff too!
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to see the pics and how it drives.

I know 60K+ is expensive for a Boxster, but it seems to be good value when you compare it to the 911 and if its not a limited run then all the better. I was also surprised at OPC last week to see just how big the 911 has become. I knew it had grown a lot, but seeing it next to the Boxster was a real eye opener.
Cheers,

Mike.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Doesn't appear to be any difference in the first year tax for a Boxster GTS or 2.5S (£1,850.00) and the yearly road tax there after (£475.00/year)
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah 992 is a big car now - and looks it.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

mik wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:09 pm Yeah 992 is a big car now - and looks it.
I assured my missus that the time saved car washing and reduced outlay on cleaning materials means the car quickly pays for itself compared with a 992. ;) More importantly a Cayman easily fits my garage and a 992 wouldn't.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Marv wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:07 pm Doesn't appear to be any difference in the first year tax for a Boxster GTS or 2.5S (£1,850.00) and the yearly road tax there after (£475.00/year)
Engine capacity is what counts in EU