Harry’s Garage

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Harry’s Garage

Post by Ascender »

Simon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:45 pm STOP THE PRESS.

WTF has he done to the nail on his right thumb? (12:30 ish)
Do you not watch Harry’s Farm? He caught it in a trailer flap/door thing.
Cheers,

Mike.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Barry wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 pm What was more interesting is that amongst his available fleet (excluding exotica) even he couldn't find a 'slot' for an electric car to work. That's crazy.
Harry has been quite obtuse in his dislike towards EV IMO, although his reasons for the hybrid make good sense in the vid, for his situation, it'll fuel the anti-EV brigade all the same. Just reading the comments makes my stabbing hand itch, always the same outdated ill-informed twaddle being spouted.

He could have made a Tesla work, he admits so himself quite early in the vid, he could have made an iPace work if he was willing to adapt. EV networks are still fighting for a place, and ignorance still ruins the experience for most ( ICE cars blocking charging bays, networks just not being reliable, not enough chargers where needed etc). You can't expect the network to just *be* as good as the fossil industry in ten years, when fossils have had a century to mature.
I think my comment about him not able to make it work for just one car in his fleet is more a reflection on him than on the electric car. Looking at our car usage, if we were in the market we could conceivably swap the Yeti for a modern electric only equivalent (a Kia?) as the wife only does local trips, keeping the Merc for the long distance stuff.
Ascender wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:10 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:45 pm STOP THE PRESS.

WTF has he done to the nail on his right thumb? (12:30 ish)
Do you not watch Harry’s Farm? He caught it in a trailer flap/door thing.
Rarely, and I clearly missed that one!
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I thought he summed up my reasoning for not wanting leccy only.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I watched a car turn up to a charger in Telford services, spend 10 minutes fighting it and then drive off.

Once they get their network as reliable as petrol pumps I think any drama will be gone. As it stands we know 1 problem is massively amplified, it’s the same with any part of change.

Dave!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'm not sure I agree with the logic of promoting a 70k+ SUV using only a proportion of its performance to exploit its 50mile EV range.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:30 pm I thought he summed up my reasoning for not wanting leccy only.
Yeah he did. And its kind of the same things that have been mentioned on here.... For any journey over the expected worst-case range, you need to plan for a recharge. Which isn’t convenient, even if its just a single one, because you have to fit it in around your existing plans...although if you have a Tesla there’s certainly less challenges around availability of charging points.

I was impressed by the fact that the BMW decides when to use electric and that in 1500 miles, over 50% had been done on electric.
Cheers,

Mike.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Simon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:15 pm
Barry wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 pm
Simon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:31 pm What was more interesting is that amongst his available fleet (excluding exotica) even he couldn't find a 'slot' for an electric car to work. That's crazy.
Harry has been quite obtuse in his dislike towards EV IMO, although his reasons for the hybrid make good sense in the vid, for his situation, it'll fuel the anti-EV brigade all the same. Just reading the comments makes my stabbing hand itch, always the same outdated ill-informed twaddle being spouted.

He could have made a Tesla work, he admits so himself quite early in the vid, he could have made an iPace work if he was willing to adapt. EV networks are still fighting for a place, and ignorance still ruins the experience for most ( ICE cars blocking charging bays, networks just not being reliable, not enough chargers where needed etc). You can't expect the network to just *be* as good as the fossil industry in ten years, when fossils have had a century to mature.
I think my comment about him not able to make it work for just one car in his fleet is more a reflection on him than on the electric car. Looking at our car usage, if we were in the market we could conceivably swap the Yeti for a modern electric only equivalent (a Kia?) as the wife only does local trips, keeping the Merc for the long distance stuff.

Exactly, I was agreeing with you. He could make it work if he wanted, but he's so tied to his love of ICE he isn't ready to make those adjustments.

Kia Nero/Hyundai Kona could replace the Yeti for certain, 250+ range, good power, I'd love one. Supply is the issue at the moment, you'll need to order a year in advance!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The way the technology is advancing, would you want to order a year in advance? By the time it’s rest there will be something better out.
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

From what I’ve seen though the range is still pretty rubbish unless you spend silly money on a Tesla.

Not everyone wants a long toilet stop or to only stop in particular places.

I’d love an electric car as the local runabout as I think it’s perfect for them. Plus variety with cars is one of the biggest benefits of multiple cars and it would be good fun. As a family car they just don’t work for us but I think in 5 years I think the range won’t be an issue, the cost though I’m not sure how much of the extra range ability will filter to cheaper models.

Dave!
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Can someone please tell him they are hybrids not hybreds!!
Beany

Post by Beany »

Zonda_ wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:22 pm Can someone please tell him they are hybrids not hybreds!!
Perhaps he keeps a loaf on top of the kitchen cupboards?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Barry wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:31 am
Kia Nero/Hyundai Kona could replace the Yeti for certain, 250+ range, good power, I'd love one. Supply is the issue at the moment, you'll need to order a year in advance!
Interesting. A friend just traded in his C63 AMG wagon for an e-Niro. He didn't mention a waiting list. Be interesting to see how he gets on with in, in terms of the fun aspects of driving it. He has a 20 mile each way commute on B roads to it should get plenty of range, as well as save him £15/day in fuel.

I can see the appeal as a car for small journeys but what defines small? If just round town then there isn't the saving on fuel to justify the higher purchase price, if it's just a financial decision. An electric car could definitely work as our family car. Though at the moment I'm looking at elderly V6 or V8 SUVs to replace the Yeti as the wife wants an Up and I want something with a decent engine!
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

He structures the argument for plug-in hybrid pretty well and validates his decision based on his own personal experience, so fair enough.

I do feel like someone should be offering a plug-in hybrid that is 90% of a full EV (in terms of battery capacity etc) with an “emergency” (lets say) 500cc petrol/diesel that will ensure you are never stuck somewhere without charge - capable of moving the car along at upto 50mph.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

They can stick a BMW badge on it and call it an i3.
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

Ah OK. :?

I guess that shows how much interest I had in the i3.....
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:33 am They can stick a BMW badge on it and call it an i3.
Yep. Are there any more of these at all, where the ICE just acts as a generator/range extender rather than driving the wheels?
Left over crest; tightens.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Only my theory but I expect the reason why there aren't more is that battery size is highly correlative to cost whereas engine size is only loosely correlated. Therefore if you add cost increasing the size of the battery you don't make that saving back again in downsizing the ICE to a charging only range-extender.

They're therefore looking at usage and thinking that if you do 80% of your journeys sub 50miles there no point putting an expensive mostly redundant 200mile battery in it plus an expensive mostly redundant range extender - small battery, normal engine would therefore be the cost effective (and presumably from a regulation standpoint) way to go - plus they effectively have the ICE engines developed and sat on the shelf versus developing new REx modules to go with the battery module.

ETA: Small battery also allows you to use the existing architecture of the car rather than needing something bespoke. Add that to the cost implications of the large battery and until everything goes BEV I think the number of large battery range extender models of existing cars will be minimal.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

JonMad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:58 am
Mito Man wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:33 am They can stick a BMW badge on it and call it an i3.
Yep. Are there any more of these at all, where the ICE just acts as a generator/range extender rather than driving the wheels?
Supposedly the next generation of Nissan's will go that route.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

GG. wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 am Only my theory but I expect the reason why there aren't more is that battery size is highly correlative to cost whereas engine size is only loosely correlated. Therefore if you add cost increasing the size of the battery you don't make that saving back again in downsizing the ICE to a charging only range-extender.
*snip*
Very much agree with all of that.

Plus when you have a REx in use it's thumping away at constant revs max power which can be a bit of a nightmare to disguise from the customer.

I think Chev Volt is the only other big selling range extender along with the i3.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just passed by a electric Kona, it was making a cool sound to alert pedestrians, sounded very star warsy 😂
How about not having a sig at all?